Temporary Insurance - is it needed?

ToxicNeo

Hi all,

Unfortunately, after 2 years of happy motoring, I'm selling my 2001 Fabia. I'm up sizing to a 2003 Volvo S60 D5 due to an increasing family size.

I know that my furby needs to be insured whilst I sell it due to the law changes, but my question is this:

Can I take out a full new 12 month policy to cover the car, paying by monthly installments (£35 deposit/£35 per month) then cancel when it's sold, or take out a temporary insurance policy for a couple of weeks (quotes between £100 - £200 for 2 weeks cover!).

It seems daft to spend more on the temp cover when I can pay a cheaper deposit then cancel when sold, but would this have issues legally, so to speak?

I have thought about adding the new car to my current policy then removing the furby, but AXA are being a pain and want to charge me a fortune for doing so!

Thanks,

No point in getting temp cover when you can get normal cover on a pay monthly and cancel whenever you want. Just don't expect any NCB.Works out cheaper as well.

No I wouldn't expect any NCB. Just thought it's cheaper to get a full policy and pay monthly than to get temp insurance.

Forgot to say I'll be driving the furby till it sells cos the volvo needs rear brakes doing first. But it was cheap enough so it's no problem.

Don't expect to be just able to cancel your DD and walk away. afaik you are entering a contract to pay for the full 12 months so you will be committing to use the same insurer for your new car and/or pay any administration/ interest  charges they levy or you could find yourself on an insurance blacklist.

• Sponsor

The normal solution is to switch the cover over to the new car when you get it, so you can complete the year and earn the bonus and then add the out-going vehicle as a temporary additional vehicle to that policy until you can sell it. The cost of the TAV will (should) be quite low - with us it's about £18 for a fortnight - which should be enough time to get rid if you start advertising early enough.

Don't really want to sorn the volvo as the brakes should be fixed in a week or so. I asked AXA about temporarily adding the fabia and they quoted £30 a week! If I took out the new policy and told them I'm selling the car would that be an issue?