The local garage was recommended to me by a friend and they replaced a CV boot and corroded brake pipes and also overhauled the braking system.

They cleaned the TB and attempted to readapt it with a diagnostics programme which obviously hasn't been too successful.

Fortunately they did not charge me for the TB work and I am now undecided about how to proceed.

I could take the car to another main dealer in town and have it diagnosed and recalibrated or fit a spare throttle body.

I would still have to take the car to a diagnostic testing station to have a different TB calibrated, assuming the car would be driveable if I exchanged the TB?

As you say the car was idling and driving perfectly before the garage visit and only stalled at stops and junctions.

I am very unsure as to the best course of action.

PS I wonder if the garage used a new TB gasket as I believe this is important. :sweat:

PS I wonder if the garage used a new TB gasket as I believe this is important.  :sweat:

Exactly. Why sell you a 2p cardboard gasket, when they could charge for a new TB (plus labor)? One last advice: avoid 'main' dealers with nice offices, luxurious waiting halls with plasma TVs and stuff, because you'll be the one paying for all. Or you could ignore my advice, go to them, bend over and hand them the Vaseline tube.

I understand what you mean about main dealers shafting customers but to be honest I have used our local family run dealership for five years and they have always treated my old car with the utmost care.

As they say.....Better the devil you know..........

After my experience with the recommended garage I don't think I will be returning to them again.

At lest the main dealership has the correct experience and equipment to deal with Skoda vehicles.

I know that the engine management system is more or less the same on most modern cars but repairs are impossible without correct diagnostic equipment so what choice do I have when it's obvious that all service centres do not give satisfactory results?

Give me an SU carburettor system like my 1953 Morris Minor anytime! :wall:

P.S. Just ordered a spare throttle body and two gaskets.......Just in case !

In the meantime thanks for all your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Boomlander

Check your timing,

Mine had been altered, possibly in a attempt by the previous owner to compensate for the dirty throttle body,

Also check that the TB has been seated back correctly, I didn't do this first time and it caused a higher idle rev count.while your in there check the oil return pipe mine had worn a hole,

These are all easy things to check and can be done yourself with no need for a garage. You any need limited tools, don't take any electric plugs off while u do it and u will be fine.

Was just something that I noticed while trying to sort my own excessive idling after Tb reset.

If someone's done this bad fix previously to mine to sort/hide problems then there's good chance it's been done to others,

And like mine once the true cause is fixed correctly then old bad fixes can come to light

Not hard thing to check and if it's out of line it's a chance it's the same things that caused mine to over rev after clean and reset

Ps mines running like a dream due to the info provided so many thanks

Edited by mycoolbeard

@mycoolbeard
Are you aware that you have a different type of engine than OP? Like for instance there is NO distributor on his car?
Not to mention that according to you

My wife's the tech in our house so Im weall behind on the tech

and you are repeating what you learned from TeflonTom in Felicia 1.6 Mpi idle speed topic without giving him credit.

Ps mines running like a dream due to the info provided so many thanks

So sorry this should read thank you to all who gave advice it was most helpful this is what I learned.

And yes your right my wife is the tech in our house but I think you need to check your referencing again before you state things as fact.

You have taken one statement about android devices and applied it to mechanics, check your translation of the word tech.

and you are repeating what you learned from TeflonTom in Felicia 1.6 Mpi idle speed topic without giving him credit.

I was just trying to help, I don't see you giving credit to your original sources of information or were u part of the skoda factory team who built the felicia.

Typical forum attitudes.

I am sorry if I did not help it was not my intention,

nor is it my intention to argue with someone I've never met over things that don't really matter,

mycoolbeard

You didn't help AT ALL when you told OP to 'check the timing' because you've learned from TeflonTom somebody might have messed up the distributor position. You only misinformed OP because you have no clue how a Simos 2P system works in comparison to 1AV engines. But you conveniently disregarded that part because that shows your 'tech' or 'mech' or whatever knowledge is very poor. Playing victim now doesn't help either because willing to help is one, while spreading wrong advice is another. Be a man and admit you screwed things up then leave it that way, without singing the song of the good samaritan.

PS. Ask your wife to fix your avatar.

I did think it was strange being advised to check the timing on a distributorless system but no worries.

I did however take off the throttle body cover today and guess what..........?The interior of the throttle body was coated with a black oily film - the garage had not touched it! There was even an undisturbed cobweb from the fixing point on the cover to the engine!!

I cleaned most of the gunk off but obviously the garage have hooked the car up to a diagnostic system and remapped it to whatever setting they thought appropriate and I will now have to take it to someone trustworthy to have it mapped properly.

At least the B@*tards didn't charge me for the "work" they didn't carry out but I hate being lied to! :@

I have bought a used but good condition throttle body from a parts supplier and a couple of new gaskets.

Would I be able to simply replace the existing TB and expect the car to run reasonably well or would this completely confuse the ECU and make matters worse? :think:

...but I hate being lied to!  :@

That makes two of us. Don't hesitate to put their name in here at wall of shame.

Here's another example from one of our local Skoda 'stealers'. I was recommended to fix a Felicia 1.3 on carb that came straight out of those dealers garage with a rough idle, high fuel consumption, loss of power, hard to start, etc. after a timing chain replacement job. They did also an engine oil change. Prior to that job, the car ran fine, but client went to those dealers for a loud noise from the left side of the engine. They said it is only because of timing chain. So what did I find? The timing chain had been installed wrong by 180 degrees and to compensate for that, they twisted the distributor in an awkward position. I also found out the noise came also from coolant pump, but they didn't change it in the process, they asked for extra money to open the engine again. The engine oil... what a huge lie... they put another oil than what the owner bought, and they didn't change the oil filter, they only cleaned the outside to look like new. That's why my trust in any garage is ZERO.

I repaired that car properly, now it's back to factory specs. Another happy customer.

Edited by adurer

I have bought a used but good condition throttle body from a parts supplier and a couple of new gaskets.

Would I be able to simply replace the existing TB and expect the car to run reasonably well or would this completely confuse the ECU and make matters worse? :think:

For best results after changing the TB and gasket you need to do a TB reset procedure by using VAG-COM.

Your probably right I didn't help oh well, sorry

But gives u no right to be rude to me,

And If I wanted a diferent avatar I would have changed it.

And for the record

I found your advice helpful and I told u what part was faulty and how I solved the malfunction, and what I learned from the experience was how rude people can be

Edited by mycoolbeard

For best results after changing the TB and gasket you need to do a TB reset procedure by using VAG-COM.

So I need the diagnostic service ( VAG-COM ) at the Main dealer or can you buy this equipment to use yourself?

Your probably right I didn't help oh well, sorry

But gives u no right to be rude to me,

Oh, don't cry me a river, I am the only one entitled to pose as a victim because I'm Jewish :)

I will not spare anyone's feelings when it comes to misinformation or plain stupidity. It is YOU who should restrain yourself when you reply in the first place. Are we living in an upside down world? I mean, generally speaking, don't tell the lier he's a lier, don't tell a moron he's stupid (in good faith or not) and don't tell a deceiver he's a swindler because you hurt his feelings? #uck that, I worked hard to earn those 4 warning points :) but on the other hand I think that I am among the best well informed/documented helpful, and experienced Skoda Felicia owner on this forum. I bust my a$$ trying to bring on this forum the best resources I can gather from Czech, Polish, and Russian mechanics.

And If I wanted a diferent avatar I would have changed it.

I assume you know you don't have ANY avatar, not even the default one, right? Just because the link to it is broken.

Edited by adurer

So I need the diagnostic service ( VAG-COM ) at the Main dealer or can you buy this equipment to use yourself?

If I were you, I would purchase myself an OBD I VAG-COM scanner (software version 4.09) and cut the umbilical cord with all dealers.

Check back I didn't start this thread, all I stated was that I had the same problem, I checked your list and created a similar idling problem, and posted the results.

I'm sure u do bust your a$$ but u seem to be acting like some kinda moderator instead of someone with a few hundred posts.

And as newbie To the forum I have no chance so must hold my tongue,

So once again do not be rude

Thank you all for your help

I'm sorry if my comments on a similar problem was not help full

I do not wish this thread to continue as a argument.