horn/airbag cover

mrgf

Is the horn/airbag cover on a Fabia 2, removable WITHOUT having to disconnect the airbag? I.E. just the plastic shield or cover? I wanted to change my scratched one without the need to go all Technical!

Edited by mrgf

I have been asking around in other places and have now been told it CAN come off, takes seconds and is a pull/push type fit. The cover comes either separate or as a complete airbag unit. Hope thats correct, though 

Yes the whole module is easy to remove, it is just held on by two clips, but these can be a bit tricky to release. Obviously you will need to disconnect the battery before hand and you will need to unplug the connector as you lift the module off the steering wheel.

I haven't paid attention as to how the cover is attached to the airbag though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

looking at how thick the plastic is, i recon it does just that... if it split, it would be two sharp lumps of hard plastic giving you a scotch kiss! i think the airbag blows up and shunts the cover off. the passenger side just rips and flips the dash to one side,

Additionally, you can get replacement ones as well as the complete airbag unit.

I have changed several VW Mk5 Golf Airbag covers (due to different types and colour) between model years

The airbag needs to be removed from the car

Then the wiring loom needs to be removed

Then the Horn plate has to be dismantled

Only then can you take the cover off

There are covers for sale on ebay

The actual cover part is not available from the dealer

looking at how thick the plastic is, i recon it does just that... if it split, it would be two sharp lumps of hard plastic giving you a scotch kiss! i think the airbag blows up and shunts the cover off. the passenger side just rips and flips the dash to one side,

Additionally, you can get replacement ones as well as the complete airbag unit.

I stand corrected on being able to change the covers. However the cover does split along pre determined perforations. I'd be personally very cautious about stripping down an airbag and be a little worried about the results of a poorly or incorrectly fitted cover.

post-4839-0-01519800-1382821391_thumb.jpg