Excessive oil consumption

Hi , I am new to Skoda, picked up Fabia VRS end of May. Drinks oil and has had new bottom end put in at 4700 miles to cure early in September. 6 weeks and 800 miles later oil warning light on. Car done 5500 miles the last 1000 barely exceeding 3000rpm whilst running in.  has anyone had similar issues with oil. Am I unlucky or is there a real problem with the 1.4 180Bhp engine.

YES, is the answer to your question, you will find lots of oil threads on here about Fabia VRS MK II, you will also get a lot of opinions too.

I had issues with our car, we did not get as far as a new engine but did get breather mods and lots of other bits and pieces done, oil usage is still not brilliant at about a litre every 1500-2000 miles.

One thing that does seem to be prominent is the usage of the car, short journeys will increase oil usage as will running in. I know two cars that have been driven hard from new and these cars do not use any oil, our car does short journeys and is driven steady by my wife most of the time and uses oil.

Use your car, give it some hard driving and see if you get an improvement, or go back to Skoda and express your concerns for the new online oil usage figures.

Welcome to the forum too.

• Like 1

Running in was gentle, kept mainly below 3000rpm in first 500 miles then gradually pushed it up the rpm range but only in the first 4 gears, too fast to be anywhere near legal in 5 6 and 7. Not sure about exact change but Skoda said it was the entire bottom end, not just the pistons. Got the car at 2500 miles, no oil on stick after 1200 more, put a litre in then ran again for a further few hundred. then new bottom end at 4700 and by 5500 miles nothing on dip stick again. First time round skoda adamant that engine had a problem, second time it is now apparently normal to use nearly 1 litre in under 800 miles. Get the feeling they are not keen to sort the car properly.

Thanks for the welcome

• 2 weeks later...

Car is now back with Skoda for the next consumption test, Used another 0.8 litre of oil in 350 miles before being taken in. Now waiting for them to tell me the results, should hear this week. Losing faith rapidly with Skoda

If you allow them to keep putting off and carrying on with consumption test they will.

They have the results, they know your vehicles build date and the engine build date, Skoda UK know what action is required now.

Tell them to get on with it.

Or start the procedure to reject the car,

'Not fit for purpose', Known Manufacturing, Design & materials faults, Skoda/VAG know well enough.

The engines 'CAVE' were faulty in some cars from the Seat Ibiza Cupra in 2009,

then from 2010 in the vRS, Polo Gti & Audi A1 185ps until 2012.

Then a revised engine and ECU late 2012, in all 4 cars Manufacturers cars, the revised 'CTHE' engine has some of those are wrong

or going wrong.

Some already have had new engines in cars first registered since October 2012, as shown in the link below to the Briskoda thread i have started.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

Just got the car back, according to the consumption test it has not burnt any oil. Given that the week before I took it in it went through 0.8 of a litre it would seem unlikely that this will be the case but that is what they are claiming. I will see if what they say is correct, it should only take 6 weeks or so to see if what they say is true now although I have serious doubts. I think they over filled the oil at the start of the test but that would be pointless as I will end up back with them again.  In the meantime I will write to skoda UK with my concerns. Thanks for all the info

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No oil in car again Xmas eve on M62 after 1000 miles. Car done 7750  Skoda have now fitted a modified breather pipe to try and cure. Could wonder why this modification was not done when the new short engine was put inat around 4500 miles. Gathering all facts now ready for letter, might even send to What Car to see if they fancy running a story.

• Like 1

All the best with it.

I have done 500 miles in these past 2 days and used no oil, car engine done 27,800 miles, 

was rebuilt and new rings at 4,000 miles, has no breather mod.

uses no oil.

Well except when being driven by others.

Lent out the week before Xmas with new oil and filter and correct level of oil.

Returned to me 3 weeks later having done only 520 miles and needed 1.2 litres of oil to have it back to the correct level.

(no oil light or low oil pressure light showing yet the Oil just showing on the bottom of the dip stick when checked hot)

Thats what cold starts, short journeys and driven hard when still cold can do to them.

george

No oil in car again Xmas eve on M62 after 1000 miles. Car done 7750  Skoda have now fitted a modified breather pipe to try and cure. Could wonder why this modification was not done when the new short engine was put inat around 4500 miles. Gathering all facts now ready for letter, might even send to What Car to see if they fancy running a story.

Tried the Magazine line with Autocar,Autoexpress and Evo (They had a longterm Polo GTI STARTING TO USE OIL)

However, THEY HAVE NO GUT IN TAKING UP THE CUSTOMER CAUSE or investigation.

Too close to Manufacturers in their use of loan cars for testing etc.

KEEP DOCUMENTING TO SKODA UK copies to the dealership. 

Best of luck,as it's so frustrating that VAG can't own up too this problem!!

• Like 1

vrskeith,

I have read your comments before like in this EVO Articles comments, .

I have Emailed and written to all the Magazine Editors and Journalists i could find, and that is many..

Given full details as i have them, links to the Forums, Names, car numbers etc.

The ones that have Long Term Tested cars and made mention of high oil use will not follow up on it.

http://evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/252097/vw-polo-gti-review.html

"Anything else i need to know?"

!!!,

So why did they not mention their previous experience which they seemed to dismiss quite easily first time around?

They run one Long Term and know about the Oil Use Issue.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/280411/volkswagen-pol-gti.html

'Honest John' has at least covered the problem.

But the November 8th 2013 comment on them Dropping the Engine and Gearbox on the Polo and Fabia due to the problem,

shows a lack of knowledge and understanding.

The Volkswagen Audi Group, and the 4 Brands that use the Engine SEAT, SKODA, VOLKSWAGEN & AUDI 

have never any place i can find, admitted to the Faulty Engines they have built, sold and continue to fix under warranty under what seems to be protest in many instances.

The CEO when announcing dropping the vRS name with the next Model of Fabias had a perfect oppertunity to appologise for being responsible for being in charge of terrible Customer Services and knowingly costing Customer major problems.

Incase anyone from the Magazines read this,

that is 

'Prof. Dr. Winfried Vahland, CEO Skoda',  they need to talk to.

or

'Alisdair Stewart, UK Skoda Brand Director'.   Some statement from them would be good. 

• Like 1

vrskeith,

I have read your comments before like in this EVO Articles comments, .

I have Emailed and written to all the Magazine Editors and Journalists i could find, and that is many..

Given full details as i have them, links to the Forums, Names, car numbers etc.

The ones that have Long Term Tested cars and made mention of high oil use will not follow up on it.

http://evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/252097/vw-polo-gti-review.html

'Honest John' has at least covered the problem.

But the November 8th 2013 comment on them Dropping the Engine and Gearbox on the Polo and Fabia due to the problem,

shows a lack of knowledge and understanding.

The Volkswagen Audi Group, and the 4 Brands that use the Engine SEAT, SKODA, VOLKSWAGEN & AUDI 

have never any place i can find, admitted to the Faulty Engines they have built, sold and continue to fix under warranty under what seems to be protest in many instances.

The CEO when announcing dropping the vRS name with the next Model of Fabias had a perfect oppertunity to appologise for being responsible for being charge of terrible Customer Services and knowingly costing Customer major problems.

Incase anyone from the Magazines read this,

that is 

'Prof. Dr. Winfried Vahaland, CEO Skoda',  they need to talk to.

or

'Alisdair Stewart, UK Skoda Brand Director'.   Some statement from them would be good. 

Totally agree with your comments and approach.

Nobody has the balls to take on the BIG BOYS on the Customers behalf.

Talk to most service managers and they are nearly all frustrated with the ongoing issues.

Also they struggle to recover testing cost etc. from VAG companies.

Who ever was doing this Interview should have asked the Dude in charge what the real story was.

& does he even know what happens on his watch?

http://topgear.com/uk/car-news/skoda-fabia-vrs-is-no-more-skoda-suv-coming-2013-08-21

Lets see if Top Gear Magazine can be bothered to ask Skoda or VAG now.

I will try asking again.

Also ask if they are in the pocket of the 'Volkswagen Audi Group'.

EDIT,

an Interesting Review from a Journalist that seems to understand Twinchargers.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/fast-friend-skoda-fabia-vrs-estate-long-term-190846635.html

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/green-envy-skoda-fabia-vrs-180500016.html

Who ever was doing this Interview should have asked the Dude in charge what the real story was.

& does he even know what happens on his watch?

http://topgear.com/uk/car-news/skoda-fabia-vrs-is-no-more-skoda-suv-coming-2013-08-21

Lets see if Top Gear Magazine can be bothered to ask Skoda or VAG now.

I will try asking again.

Also ask if they are in the pocket of the 'Volkswagen Audi Group'.

Worth a go I'd say.

See if TG have the balls to pose a few difficult and informed questions.

Might be a high cost to manufacture engines but it's the warranty bill that causing concern at VAG.

Reputation would have been damaged greatly, if they had been actioned by the authorities  too recall all vehicles worldwide - got away with the low volume owners not creating a big enough voice of anger and frustration.

Go for it!

Keith