Used Yeti 1.2 help

jpkerr

Hello, I have lurked on this site for a while as I have been considering a Yeti as a company car. This is now changed as my wife is expecting our third child.

As a result my wife thinks a Yeti would suit her needs. It will tend only to be used for her and the kids so the narrower middle seat will be used only rarely. We live in the suburbs so my wife does about 6k miles annually nearly all within the city limits.

She has never driven anything bigger than a small hatchback but found the Yeti manageable, being not too big and having good visibility (for cars nowadays!).

The problem is, to get in budget, the only cars we can see are 2 - 3 years old but have 40k miles. We normally keep my wife's car for about 10 years, does anyone have any experience of this car for higher mileages or does anyone have any opinion?

To put it in context, the other option is a VW Golf of the same age with 15k miles. Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul

You could keep an eye on Skoda used car locator.

This site shows a large number of Yetis for sale from all over the country and the mileage is given on most.

The Yeti has only been out since 2009 so most will be low mileage, but I have seen a few 1.2tsi 's with over 60,000 on the clock.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies, I know this model is relatively recent and the engine has not been around that long either. If anyone else has an opinion or experience it would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards

Paul

I've done over 70,000 miles in my 1.2 and the only problems I've had are a misfire on the no 3 HT lead and a cam chain tensioner problem which needed a rebuild but was covered under warranty. To be fair my engine is one of the early ones and these things have been rectified on later engines other than that no problems at all, in fact when I get my next car it will most likely be another 1.2 Yeti

Thanks for the replies, I know this model is relatively recent and the engine has not been around that long either. If anyone else has an opinion or experience it would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards

Paul

This might suit you - 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-60-Skoda-Yeti-1-2TSI-S-Just-16000-Miles-/161129682587?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item258413d69b

A 3 yr old Golf with 15k miles has probably been used for short runs, since that's only 5k per year.  I'd personally be more wary of that option than the higher mileage Yeti.

If you want to keep any car going for a long time, the usual recommendations apply:  don't skimp on the servicing especially oil changes, don't push it hard on a cold engine, try to give it a long run every now and again, use the a/c or climate control all year around.

Although I very much like the DSG gearbox, I'd avoid a second-hand example if you want a 'keeper' car.

• Like 1

Zib

That is the kind of advice I was looking for. My wife has a 2002 Polo 1.4TDI which we owned from new and does 5-6k miles per year, it was serviced by Volkswagen while in warranty and then our local trusted independent every year when due. The engine has not missed a beat, especially good considering the car is rarely out of the city limit and 6 miles is about as far as it goes, the only non maintenance parts were a couple of bushings.

If we could find a car to be as easy to run we will be very happy.

Thanks

Paul