Where to buy 15" steel wheels from?

I want to buy some 15" steel wheels for winter tyres. I phoned a main dealer at lunch time to try to at least find what they'd charge but I haven't had the promised call back yet. I'm guessing there are cheaper places to buy from though, any suggestions?

Also, would anyone be able to tell me exactly what wheel size I'd need? My main wheels are 16" but according to Skoda UK I could use 15" 6.5J wheels and 195/65/91H tyres, which would be good as they are cheaper. Looking elsewhere I'm a little unsure if that should be 6.0 rather than 6.5, and I can't for the life of me find out what the J means! I think they need to be 5x112mm right? But I'm not sure about the centre bore or offset.

Thanks for any help :) .

Edited by Ultrasonic

I want to buy some 15" steel wheels for winter tyres. I phoned a main dealer at lunch time to try to at least find what they'd charge but I haven't had the promised call back yet. I'm guessing there are cheaper places to buy from though, any suggestions?

Also, would anyone be able to tell me exactly what wheel size I'd need? My main wheels are 16" but according to Skoda UK I could use 15" 6.5J wheels and 195/65/91H tyres, which would be good as they are cheaper. Looking elsewhere I'm a little unsure if that should be 6.0 rather than 6.5, and I can't for the life of me find out what the J means! I think they need to be 5x112mm right? But I'm not sure about the centre bore or offset.

Thanks for any help :) .

You may find this useful.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/292173-wheel-fitment-guide/

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm trying to make sure that whatever wheels I get are officially correct so that there are no issues with my insurance company. Getting the tyres right is easy (195/65 R15 91H), but I can't work out how critical the wheel width or offset are?

Does anyone know what the 'J' of 6.5J stands for? I know the number is the width in inches.

I realise second hand wheels would be cheaper, but I haven't seen any near to me, and I'd be a little unsure about buying them just in case there was any damage that mattered.

I'd looked at mytyres just for the tyres I wanted and the price wasn't the best, but combined with wheels they have do them for ~£500, which I might go for. 

£500 a hell of a lot of money to shell out on winters for an 8 year old car, that won't be wearing them for all that long through the winter months.

Thanks for the eBay seller tip Mike, I'll check it out. As for the cost, the major part is the tyres. The best price I've found for the ones I want is £82 each, so £328 for 4. I plan to keep my car for a good few years yet or I wouldn't be considering this.

Oh, and when I spoke to a main dealer their parts guy seemed to think they could sell me some 15" steel wheels for about £24 each but he's trying to confirm they are definitely suitable for my car. (This shouldn't be tricky but seems to be...)

Edited by Ultrasonic

Regarding my wheel size question I think I've found the answer in an online version of the Octavia II workshop manual. This appears to say that with 195/65 R15 91H/V tyres I can use either 6J wheels with a 47 mm offset, or 6.5J wheels with a 50 mm offset. Does this sound right? mytyres sell sets of 6J wheels so I'd like to go with this, but Skoda UK said 6.5J when I e-mailed them (I've e-mailed back to check the above this morning to see if they can clear it up).

Mytyres will supply them with winter tyres, and the wheels are fine.

Yes, I'd be getting them with winter tyres. In fact I don't think you can buy them without tyres! It's the specific wheel size I just want to check.

Edited by Ultrasonic

Not sure what width ours are, but I think they're 6.5".  The "J" is the shape of the rim where it holds the tyre.

Basically the tyre should be no wider  than the width of the rim and normally slightly wider; so if you have a 195 tyre, 195/25.4 = about 7.5", so a rim from 6" to 7.5" width is fine.

• Like 1

Not sure what width ours are, but I think they're 6.5".  The "J" is the shape of the rim where it holds the tyre.

Basically the tyre should be no wider  than the width of the rim and normally slightly wider; so if you have a 195 tyre, 195/25.4 = about 7.5", so a rim from 6" to 7.5" width is fine.

Thanks for clearing up what the J means! mytyres don't actually specify this but presumably it is standard?

Edit: actually as the tyres will come fitted I guess I don't really have to worry about the J bit!

Edited by Ultrasonic