Dealer pricing on Superb Estates...... Hardball?

Morning, 

I'm on the hunt for a diesel Superb estate, per my other thread in the form, and dealers really seem to be playing hardball on pricing.

I was considering a 11/61 1 owner 170 SE Plus with 19k miles, on the forecourt at £15,495

dealer says 'it's priced to sell, we've just reduced all our stock etc,etc' - normal sales pitch

to which I respond, 'never know a car dealer to price car's at what he expects to achieve, c'mon be sensible' 

Usual process, call to sales manager..... 'we'll pay the £60 admin fee and give you 6 months road tax'  that's it!? 

can't believe dealers are now pricing cars rock bottom with no margin ?? 

any views?   even on the price of this particular one? 

Cheers. :)

It depends whether they are looking to move it on or not.  There are some dealers that will rotate their stock religiously every X days, and cut the price in the last days/week down to what they "owe" on it.  Other dealers will just hold stock until the car sells, and will just maintain a high forecourt price and stick some balloons up.  It really depends on the dealer network.

The number to look at is the cost to change: assuming that you are PXing.  When I was looking I found a North/South divide in forecourt prices.  I found lower forecourt prices up North, but with a correspondingly lower PX value.  The cost to change wasn't much difference between dealers.  So I waited until I found a local dealer that had reduced a car I liked, and then pounced on it.  I negotiated my PX value up from book value as I found they had more negotiation to do on the PX, than on the car I was buying.

There may be a financing/servicing deal to do as well.  I got 3 years servicing included with a finance deal, which I could pay off early (after 3 months).  The net-benefit of that (after arrangement fee) was about £250 from memory.  The finance deal is with VW Financial Services, and I know others that have bought VWs and have been able to pay off after 1 month, with a different arrangement fee).

The beauty of the internet is that you can very easily view all of the CR170 estate's in the country. 

Autotrader

eBay Motors

Skoda's used car website

This should give you a good indication of if £15.5K is above or below the average.

If it is below average then the dealer is less likey to budge - as in your experience.

If it is on or above the average then there should be more room for the dealer to play.

I bought my 2011 (11) CR140 SE Twindoor with 14,000 miles for £13K about 6 months ago.

I'd been looking for at least 6 months prior to the purchase so had a very good idea in my head of how much these were being advertised for and how quickly they were selling. They were all £14K and above. Those at £14K sold pretty quick, the ones closer to £15K hung around for a good while longer.

When my car appeared I knew it was priced very well and also knew that it would sell quickly. The dealer was well aware of the fact it was the cheapest Superb of this age/spec in the country so there was no negotiation on the screen price but I didn't care as I already knew it was correctly priced.

If I hadn't bought it then he knew it wasn't going to be sat around on his forecourt for long.

I was still able to be cheeky and push for carpet mats, boot liner, mud flaps, full tank of fuel, reduced price service plan etc. etc.

Edited by silver1011