Fabia 3 1.6 Question

sifelicia

I currently have a 2.0 TDi vRs Octy but am finding it too large for what I need now so have been looking at swapping it for a Fabia 1.6 level 3 ?

My question is I have heard that this engine has a timing chain ? is this correct ?

I may look at the 1.9 diesel version but there arnt many about in the south west :(

Thanks

Hi sifelicia, the 1.6 16v 105ps engine is cam chain driven. No belt to worry about. It's a great engine, I have the tiptronic box on mine and love it. I had a diesel estate Fabia prior to that and loved it but this petrol engine is very good. You will sacrifice some fuel economy but for me it was worth it.

Hi sifelicia, the 1.6 16v 105ps engine is cam chain driven. No belt to worry about. It's a great engine, I have the tiptronic box on mine and love it. I had a diesel estate Fabia prior to that and loved it but this petrol engine is very good. You will sacrifice some fuel economy but for me it was worth it.

I stand corrected! Not too many engines have cam chains these days. It's certainly a plus point for the 1.6 16v.

• Like 1

A good way to tell Margin is to take a look at the engine end cover where the belt or chain would normally live. If it's plastic, it's a cambelt inside. If it's a metal cover, then it's a chain. 

Many thanks for that, I'm not too worried re: economy, after all I have the vRS octy diesel so Mid 40's would be very acceptable to me, That said I will be losing a huge chunk of power and torque :(

My Tiptronic 1.6 petrol Estate initially felt a bit slow of the mark when I first got it. I bought this one as a Skoda Approved vehicle. It had just 10,000 miles on the clock in near 3 years of ownership and frankly was not really anywhere near run in. It felt tight as a ducks...you know what! But after living with my wife and me and some additional careful conditioning of the engine's running routine through the gears, it's now brilliant. But like all naturally aspirated engines, it needs to revs and that's where the auto box comes in. Take a boot full and although the engine revs hard, it's unfussed and takes off pretty quickly with no hard work from me. It's the ultimate lazy mans car. Further up the rev scale the 105ps makes it's self felt and it goes pretty good. If loitering at 60mph on the dual carriageways it returns anywhere between 47-51mpg. At 70mph it's around the 45-46mpg mark. Drops like a stone if you hold her at around the 80+ mark and is nearer 40mpg, still not too bad for a petrol of this type though. But woefully bad compared to my diesel which turned in 58-59mpg at 80mph. Good solid VW engine though and you won't break it.

My Fabia 1.6 petrol regularly does over 40mpg going gently at around 60mph, drops about 2-3 mpg when doing 70. It's really going well at just over 70,000 miles so I'm reluctant to sell it but as Yeti has landed I can't keep them both. The 1.6 is a really good engine, I was looking for a 1.4 but this one cropped up on Auto Trader at the right price at the right time so we have have spent a happy 4 years together.

Until the Fabia goes, we still have the 5 Fabias in the photo in our family.