MK1 VRS ticking noise

High4

You'll have yourself worried sick about the car (like I did).

They make lots of strange noises, mine sounds a bit like a hoover/jet engine at the minute because the SAI pump is on it's way out.

Quick way to check if it is just the fuel Evap system stuff doing it's thing (sorry about the lack of terminology, I don't fully understand what it does)

When it is ticking, open the bonnet and check that it is coming from the black cannister between the coolant reservoir and the screenwash tank.

Ok I will have a listen for the black canister.

Bowders1- how would I know if it's my injectors? Car is running sweetly with no hesitation etc?

On all VRS i have heard the injectors are quite noisy. They continuously make a ticking noise, and is very noticeable if you listen close to fuel rail. I just assume this is normal and does not effect performance/hesitation  and running in anyway. I have changed injectors before only to find another set does the same.

So i would not be surprised that your ticking is the injectors if you are confident you have ruled out the charcoal canister. 

Just to help set your mind at rest - it's probably normal.

I've had my VRs for over 3 years now, and I am well used to the sounds and noises she makes.

I don't know where VAG sourced the injectors for these cars - but I was a little worried about the ticking noises they were making back when I bought mine. The dealer told me that they had heard a number of these engines before - in Skodas, Audis and VW's - and that the ticking injectors are noisy but normal.

I can only say that 3 years and 60,000 miles on - I am now used to my noisy, ticking injectors - and happy that it is indeed a normal sound!

They're very loud indeed - 'tickety - tickety - tickety' ....I've never heard such noisy ticks from injectors on any other cars. But it seems to be a normal feature of them, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Hope this helps!

...the sound does quieten right down after a minute or two, mostly notable when starting up from cold. Think my mind is pretty at ease

Ah, now you see - with this statement, things have changed!

You didn't mention the noise changing in your OP, especially from a freezing cold engine to a warmer one on startup...

The injector ticking sound is the same - always - regardless of time. So, on startup they make the noise - after a minute or two - they still make the same noise - after hours of driving - still the same noise.

What you've now described sounds more like the hydraulic valves being noisy, because the sound goes away after a while?

The valves are normally ticky / clattery on a freezing cold engine, but this noise should disappear after no more than 5 seconds at the most (on mine it's almost instant - the engine turns over, catches, makes a rattle for maybe half a second and then becomes quiet.) They are basically noisy from cold, because the oil they contained has drained out overnight, but on start-up the oil pressure should ramp them up to normal clearances pretty damn quickly.

If it's your hydraulic tappets are still ticking after a minute or two, then there is a problem. Basically boils down to either lowered oil pressure from a fault in the oil system, or just a plain example of old or incorrect oil for the car.

First port of call is - when was the oil and filter last changed, and with what? If it's a long time / mileage ago (i.e. over a year / over 10,000 miles) then it needs replacement asap. And the oil should be a good-quality synthetic, in these turbo engines. So, a quality brand 0W-40 or 10W-40....personally, although it is admittedly expensive, I cannot afford an engine rebuild or to scrap my car due to a popped motor anytime soon - so I suck up the cost of Mobil One once a year.

Second port of call - these engines can suffer from a blocked sump oil strainer / pickup unit, if they've been neglected with regard to regular servicing, or been constantly driven on short / town type journeys a lot in their past. Hence, the oil gets a bit dirty and gunky, which in turn clogs up the strainer, which in turn means reduced oil pressure - which in turn can give the kind of symptoms you describe as an early warning.

Please check these things asap to put your mind at rest. As said, injector ticking is constant - a ticking which starts and then goes away is NOT the injectors.

HTH! 

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, I know this is an old thread, but the charcoal canister noise is of specific interest to me.

Let me explain.

I viewed a mint low mileage 2004 Octavia 1.6 Ambiente SE yesterday, and have agreed a deal and left a deposit on the car.

The only thing I didn't feel comfortable with was a pronounced ticking or clacking noise (which was identified as coming from the valve in the charcoal canister). My dealer assures me he will have this investigated and will replace the part if necessary, but from what I've read on this forum the sound appears to be normal. Which is not what I was hoping to learn, because it makes the engine sound bloody awful and almost like a diesel.

If it turns out the noise can't be eliminated, I might have to back out of the deal.

Just a quick question (because I really like the car apart from the noise), can the canister be removed or bypassed in some way, without detriment to the performance of the engine? I was thinking I might do that, and perhaps reinstall it in time for a future MOT?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Edited by DBennett