What is it with people and fog lights

whitep

I think you'll find that the handbrake should hold the car against an idling engine even in drive. If your's really won't then I'd suggest that either the HB is marginal or the tickover is too high or both.

Not with a DSG.

Some people that drive Automatics do seem to believe that they do not need to take the Foot of the Brake and choose neutral and apply the hand brake.

Many know the Highway Code and follow the practice set out there.

'Reducing Glare to those behind, foot off brake and hand brake on'.

Many think 'Hill Hold Control' is there to be used with their foot on the brake for several minutes

Never a thought for those behind, or even those much further back.

Just applying the handbrake SHOULD be good enough as Ken says, IF  it's not too much effort to show a bit of consideration for the car directly behind waiting in a que.

• Like 1

JB-)  

do you just sit with your foot on the brake the full time of a stop at lights, roadworks, hold ups etc.?

Clear weather, wet & rainy, Foggy etc! Regardless of Cyclists, M/Cycles or anything else behind you.!

I only have one foot, have done for a long time now,

and only drive Autos, never ever found the need to not apply the Hand Brake.

Electric Handbrakes spawn of the Devil IMO, some will say Luddite, no doubt.

Erm, yes, and couldn't actually give a flying duck if it's auto or not tbqh.

Sheer bone idleness and couldn't give a stuff about you or anyone else, even if I am burning a red hole in your retina's.

Yea, sounds about right for 75% of auto and other physically challenged drivers.

On your 'wonderful' advice then, I'll make sure I pull up short of such a selfish idiot a good 600 yds behind in future.

Glad to be of service.

Just about acceptable if you know you're only going to be stationery for a few seconds.

I do believe there is something about that in the Highway Code.

Personally, I put my handbrake on virtually regardless, as it REALLY isn't that much of a mither imo.

It's the built in auto in ME. 

Edited by Mr Ree

Clearly in the Highway Code.  Same page as Fog Lights & dazzeling.

Sometimes the problem is people with Full Driving licences that had Instruction in manually and passed their test in manuals,

then they drive Automatics.

Licenced as 'Automatic Only' Drivers might have had Instruction in an Automatic, & taken their test in one.

Taught how to stop at junctions, lights etc and apply the handbrake if stopped for any amount of time.

JB-)  

do you just sit with your foot on the brake the full time of a stop at lights, roadworks, hold ups etc.?

Clear weather, wet & rainy, Foggy etc! Regardless of Cyclists, M/Cycles or anything else behind you.!

I only have one foot, have done for a long time now,

and only drive Autos, never ever found the need to not apply the Hand Brake.

Electric Handbrakes spawn of the Devil IMO, some will say Luddite, no doubt.

If the wait is for a long time I will put it in neutral and put the handbrake on. In stop start traffic queues, or short waits, no.

I've come to the conclusion with people that use foglights whatever the weather, that they don't understand what they're for, and when it's dark choose to put all the possible lighting on that they can!

Have also noticed a few already this season driving round an urban environment with full beam on  :wall:

Coming up the road at about 3.45 today, as others were lighting up, i wondered what was coming towards me,

it was an odd looking set up.

4 Halo BMW lights on

& below 2 rectangular Fog Lights on.

It was a Metallic Red BMW 320 of about 15 years old now.

Then one of the worst i have seen on a roundabout..

A Seat, new Ibiza i think,

on Dipped i think with the triangular headlights have the bright LED line around them, 

& the Amber Line of the Indicator is almost invisible, 

because the LED part does not go less bright like some Audis do.

I actually drove the Octy the other night in normal conditions with the thug lights ON,...(for the very first time AND on a deserted country lane)... just to see what (and if) the great difference it made in terms of visibility.

My conclusion....NONE, apart from being able to pick out the MuckDonalds wrappers (probably lobbed out by a serial fog light user) on the road a tad easier

Edited by Mr Ree

Coming up the road at about 3.45 today, as others were lighting up, i wondered what was coming towards me,

it was an odd looking set up.

4 Halo BMW lights on

& below 2 rectangular Fog Lights on.

It was a Metallic Red BMW about 15 years old now.

Wanabe racing driver that'll be then, or one of the other 'ey ey, look at me 'cus I think I'm cool brigade'.

I thought high level brake lights were introduced so when cars are following each other, the brake light of the car, say 5 in front, could be seen through the windscreens and rear screen of all the other cars in front so you could tell that those cars were braking

Yes,  that's exactly what I was referring to when I said they are designed to make tailgating slightly less dangerous.  If we all kept a safe distance, the brake lights of the vehicle immediately ahead of us would be all the warning we needed.

'CHMSL',  Centre High Mount Stop Lamps as they were introduced in the US & Canada in 1986.

To cut down on Tail Enders.

New York and Cities being the important thing about their introduction.

http://nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/equipment/CHMSLCHP1.html

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting

'Factual accuracy may be compromised etc................'Out of Date.' bla bla

Yes,  that's exactly what I was referring to when I said they are designed to make tailgating slightly less dangerous.  If we all kept a safe distance, the brake lights of the vehicle immediately ahead of us would be all the warning we needed.

I thought it was for the benefit of those driving high and large vehicles like trucks

so they didn't bump into the back of vehicles in close quarter traffic?

Having driven a few big old tubs in my time I have to say those are very

useful and visible.

• Like 2

Whilst we seem to generally be ranting about the mis-use of lights, here's another one for you that I don't think has ever been mentioned, but another absolute pet hate of mine.  :devil:

Sitting stationery at the roadside... (normally the wrong side and facing you)....with the headlights on. :@

Yet another case of sheer bone idle thoughtlessness, so prevalent in today's society.

We're all doomed, I tell you.

• Like 4

Whilst we seem to generally be ranting about the mis-use of lights, here's another one for you that I don't think has ever been mentioned, but another absolute pet hate of mine.  :devil:

Sitting stationery at the roadside... (normally the wrong side and facing you)....with the headlights on. :@

Yet another case of sheer bone idle thoughtlessness, so prevalent in today's society.

We're all doomed, I tell you.

I usually find that a long blast of 100w main beam straight into their face does the trick!  :giggle:

• Like 1

To be honest I haven't seen an increase in fog light use, it still seems to be the same that people want to show off their 'higher spec' and drive with the fog lights on (and yes, I can tell the difference between them and DRL's).  It doesn't really annoy me apart from when they're sitting behind me for a while particularly on NSL single carriageway as it's quite blinding when I check my mirrors and they have both the full beams and fog lights blasting me. 

John

Front fog lights don't bother me as much as rear ones. There really is no need especially in traffic.

Once again it comes down to driver arrogance and lack of education. Fog light usage is in the Highway Code but how many drivers use it?!

Have it ALL the ruddy time here outside our local chav boozer.

You guessed it....TAXI's. . :wall:

(not all of them, as I'm sure I'm going to be reminded about shortly)

But did they have their 'park anywhere' lights on?