Octy MKII Space saver spare wheel on a MKIII

Mk2 space saver will fit on the back of Mk3 vRS.

It will not fit on the front.

I have mine in the boot with the intention that if I have a rear puncture it just goes on as per Mk2.

If I have a front puncture then it will involve a double swap. i.e. put spare on rear and take that rear and put on punctured front.

Seems a better solution to me than gunge and compressor, or skinny space saver.

As above really, they dont fit on the front however i sold mine on ebay for £90 with tool kit and added to my order optional at £75 so win win. Although the dealer forgot to add it to my order so ended up giving it FOC

Mk2 space saver will fit on the back of Mk3 vRS.

It will not fit on the front.

I have mine in the boot with the intention that if I have a rear puncture it just goes on as per Mk2.

If I have a front puncture then it will involve a double swap. i.e. put spare on rear and take that rear and put on punctured front.

Seems a better solution to me than gunge and compressor, or skinny space saver.

I don't see how tha'ts better than a skinny spacer saver? The space saver will fit both axles plus there's the bonus of the extra bit space under the boot floor for things. There's literally no down side for using a skinny space saver over a the 16" off the mkII vRS.

I don't see how tha'ts better than a skinny spacer saver? The space saver will fit both axles plus there's the bonus of the extra bit space under the boot floor for things. There's literally no down side for using a skinny space saver over a the 16" off the mkII vRS.

Erm, irrespective of the fact that the the skinny tyre is deemed safe, its still safer traveling with a full size tyre on the front of a 220hp car! And as we know your most likely to get a puncture at the most inconvenient time, maybe in the middle of the night on a motorway with no option but to continue your journey, again rather do it on a full size tyre.

All I'm saying of the two that's the option I'd have and the OP was asking whether it would fit and it will.

But I am trying very hard to think of all those things that I don't have any space for that I could fit under the boot floor!

Erm, irrespective of the fact that the the skinny tyre is deemed safe, its still safer traveling with a full size tyre on the front of a 220hp car! And as we know your most likely to get a puncture at the most inconvenient time, maybe in the middle of the night on a motorway with no option but to continue your journey, again rather do it on a full size tyre.

All I'm saying of the two that's the option I'd have and the OP was asking whether it would fit and it will.

But I am trying very hard to think of all those things that I don't have any space for that I could fit under the boot floor!

Anyone using the kind of revs required to produce 220bhp while driving on any type temporary spare wheel is an idiot and deserves to wrap themselves round a tree, they'd be doing us all a favour. Driving a vRS with a space saver on the front is no less safe than doing the same in a 1.2tsi, providing you use common sense which I know isn't that common these days.

I've got loads of things under my boot floor with the space, keeps things tidy.

Anyone using the kind of revs required to produce 220bhp while driving on any type temporary spare wheel is an idiot and deserves to wrap themselves round a tree, they'd be doing us all a favour. Driving a vRS with a space saver on the front is no less safe than doing the same in a 1.2tsi, providing you use common sense which I know isn't that common these days.

I've got loads of things under my boot floor with the space, keeps things tidy.

Not quite sure where your going with the above? Thought we were having a discussion on space saving tyres not driving skills, but just to clarify if you look at bhp/torque curves for various cars you will see that a Ferrari produces more power than a vRS which produces more power than a 1.2 for a given revs and therefore you need larger tyres to transmit that power to the ground. That's why the cars come with tyres to match the power as standard and therefore by implication the larger the tyre that you can put on, in an emergency situation, to match the original must be safer.

Skinny v normal has been discussed at length many times over the years, so I'm guessing we won't agree now that you've got a skinny and not a normal tyre. After all the 16" tyre were talking about is standard fit on a lot of Skoda's.

I think it's if you're on a non matching spare, don't drive the car to its limits. Just because the car has masses of power and torque doesn't mean you have to use it. If you drive sensibly and within the law (that includes the 50mph limit), the skinny wheel is sufficient to get by whether you have 50 hp or 500. Porsches, Audi's and Impreza STIs come with skinny spares and they're just fine at their job.

• Like 1

I think we are getting confused here. We aren't talking about driving the car to its limits, we all, (most of us), understand how to drive a car with an emergency tyre fitted.

The point I've been trying to make is the safety margin involved is less with a skinny than a full size, be it still "safe".

Has to be, otherwise the skinny wouldn't have the restrictions on it that it has and as I say the closer to original size you get, the safer it must be.

Edited by banksie

In the UK we need to be aware that the fitment of a tyre that is a different size in any respect (section width or aspect ratio or rim diameter) to the tyre fitted on the opposite side of the same axle is illegal unless it qualifies as a temporary spare. For a tyre to qualify as a temporary spare it must be fitted to a wheel that is visibly different to the normal wheels on the vehicle or is painted a different colour, and the wheel must be clearly marked for "temporary use only" and "50mph maximum speed". The yellow circular stickers applied by vehicle manufacturers to the steel wheels typically supplied with temporary spare wheel/tyre combinations are sufficient to conform to the regulations. It does not matter if the spare tyre is a special high pressure "skinny spare" or a "space saver" (ie. a standard tyre but with different section width/aspect ratio/rim diameter to the normal tyres but perhaps with an almost identical overall diameter).   

In summary, any different sized wheel/tyre combination fitted to an axle is only legal if the wheel is marked correctly as a temporary spare and the vehicle is driven at speeds not exceeding 50mph.

• Like 1

Has to be, otherwise the skinny wouldn't have the restrictions on it that it has and as I say the closer to original size you get, the safer it must be.

The 16" full size spare from the mkII has exactly the same limitations on it, it has exactly the same 50mph max speed limit stickers as the 18" space saver on the mkIII. I know I've had a mkII and had to use the 16" spare.

Edited by Neily03

What it says and what it actually does are two different things, as you surely must be aware, given your earlier comment about common sense?

Eh? Earlier you were questioning the safety of a skinny space saver and now you're questioning the restricted speed limit on the mkII space saver??

Common sense tells me I'm wasting my time even talking to you.

Eh? Earlier you were questioning the safety of a skinny space saver and now you're questioning the restricted speed limit on the mkII space saver??

Common sense tells me I'm wasting my time even talking to you.

Well one of us has been. I'm surprised its taken this long for you to exhibit your usual bullish/sarcastic attitude that you seem to show on this forum when someone is trying to have a constructive debate. This thread being a perfect of example http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/296467-how-to-get-vrs-diffuser-for-octavia-mk3/?hl=%2Btips. How helpful to the OP!

If you read what people were saying as opposed to trying to bulldoze your opinion through it might prolong some of the debates on here.

I can't write this in crayon for you to understand better but here goes for the last time!

I have shown in the numerous examples in the posts above about how I feel the skinny is less safe. Note I said less safe not unsafe. I've also stated in previous posts,which you seem to ignore, that I am able to drive/stop and manoeuvre a car in accordance with the manufacturers/common sense guidelines, (Advanced driver). In the latest post we are concerned with speed and therefore load rating.

So my last point on this is that the skinny at 50 mph is working nearer to its design limit than a 16” tyre at 50mph, because the 16" is designed to to go over twice the limit that the yellow sticker on the side says and depending on which tyres Skoda had at the time maybe even three times that limit.

So again in answer to the OP's question yes the 16" will fit, and I gave you an option of how, sorry you had to read about my lack of common sense and driving ability to find that out!

• Like 1