What double din hu's?...

SNH

I assume my parking sensors are after market as the speakers on a wire in the boot. I've only got the stream hu at the min and it's in dire need of upgrading. Only info it shows is the heater controls iirc

I had the Stream unit in mine before i changed to the ANS and the only thing that didnt show up after the swap was the heater controls!! I got the parking sensor display fine but newer head units seem to only read the info from the FL heater controls!!! strange i know but i tested it by fitting a new one and it worked fine..

Yes you lose the multichanger but i figured this was a small price to pay for gaining ipod/iphone, bluetooth, USB etc etc and it sounds much better too!!

In all fairness, if you have the money go for the ZENEC nc-2010 or 2011, but failing that the ANS is a very close second and a lot cheaper!!

PS, also as the ANS does not have fans etc you dont get any battery drain issues or have any CAN gateway crap to worry about, just plug it in!!

• Like 1

Seems like the ANS810 is the best option so? Hoping to find one somewhere out of a breakers yard. Probably like gold dust but we'll see how it goes!

Seems like the ANS810 is the best option so? Hoping to find one somewhere out of a breakers yard. Probably like gold dust but we'll see how it goes!

I very much doubt you will find one at a breakers yard... ive seen a few on Ebay in the past (likewise the Zenec) but they are difficult to get hold of.. There is a company in manchester i think that deal in them (icebox auto) ive seen a few posts from people who have used this fella and he seems to be good... 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/iceboxauto

search for ANS 810.. he has them at just short of 300 green queens and If memory serves he gives it a 2 year warranty!!

• 3 weeks later...

Anything ERINSIN or whatever they are called steer clear of, from all the reading I did prior to getting mine they are utter ****e and will break in less than 6 months.. honestly spend a tiny bit more and get an ANS series stereo.. much better

Cheers for the heads up.

Had a look at the ans ones and they don't mention pre outs which is no good to me, think it'll have to be the kenwood unit then..

20131008_155410.jpg

Mine :-)

Eric, where did you get the trim surround ??

I wonder could I get this to work with the Factory "Sound System" in my Octy, I think it needs to have a remote switch capabilitie for sending power to external amps??

There are some good deals on Ebay at the moment.

Also needs to have pre outs which the standard unit doesn't have. I like the idea of the pioneer but they don't link with the iPhone 5. I also have a lot of old school music on cd and these don't have a cd function.

I'm interested in the ans810 as it seems to get good reviews and has full oe integration for reverse park and climate control. Couple of questions : How good is the nav software/ how do you get updates and is it a straight swap for a bolero (do you need to fit a different console surround)?

Cheers for the heads up.

Had a look at the ans ones and they don't mention pre outs which is no good to me, think it'll have to be the kenwood unit then..

The ANS810 i have has 3 pre-outs!! Front, Rear and Sub which i assume is the one you are interested in... search for a thread on VWwatercooled forum on the ANS unit, there is so much info on that forum... main guy is DKN, an Aussie who knows these units well...

• Like 1

I'm interested in the ans810 as it seems to get good reviews and has full oe integration for reverse park and climate control. Couple of questions : How good is the nav software/ how do you get updates and is it a straight swap for a bolero (do you need to fit a different console surround)?

anyone with the unit able to answer?

Eric, where did you get the trim surround ??

I wonder could I get this to work with the Factory "Sound System" in my Octy, I think it needs to have a remote switch capabilitie for sending power to external amps??

There are some good deals on Ebay at the moment.

it all came from halfords, it was plug and play in my 07 VRS.

it has pre outs and remote wire to turn stuff on like amps etc.

anyone with the unit able to answer?

As far as I know you will have to fit a new surround... I did with mine when I swapped from a stream unit to the ANS810.. regarding the swap, once I had worked out how to get the connector block hidden to the left it was fairly easy, took 20 mins in total.. and only held in with 4 torx screws.

if you open the ashtray and prize the facia off then use either a blunt dinner knife or something of that nature is easy to get off..

The nav software has got me everywhere ive ever gone, even to scotland for the very first time and was spot on with time to arrival etc and knew exactly which roads to take.. it will even get you traffic diversions and a like..

To clear a few things up too, just incase anyone wants to know, this unit has a remote out to switch on an amp, has more than enough pre-outs to cater for everything, satnav is easy to customize with various different types depending on your preference (common is IGO Primo) it integrates with factory PDC easily, if you have an 08 onwards car with newer heating controls that will display on the screen too, as will heated seats etc... 

For anyone interested have a good look on this forum, they have pretty much covered everything with the ANS unit..

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/ans-810-ans-510-proper-rns-510-alternative-73179.html

As for updates to firmware etc, that depends how friendly you get with the Audiosources guys in China, or you can get them for a small fee from DKN on the thread linked....

For the record, I took ages to decide what unit to buy and nearly did the app radio as halfrauds were giving them away price wise, but im glad i didnt as I get to keep PDC etc... so im more than happy with my choice, and it looks more factory too!!!

I was thinking of a columbus but would like to add tv and rear monitors to it. Would appear to be very expensive to try and do this though. Ans810 unit already has all the necessary connections. Am I correct in saying the ans810 also has built in analogue tv tuner? Also what is the blue tooth quality like. I currently have the oem bluetooth fitted to my bolero unit and it is excellent.

it all came from halfords, it was plug and play in my 07 VRS.

it has pre outs and remote wire to turn stuff on like amps etc.

I got an email back from the distributor, it won't work with the factory sound system.

Nutzzzzzzzz

Not particularly "on topic" but I had the chance to drive a Mk 6 Golf this evening with a built in Bluetooth system. The quality of the call and the handiness of having the steering wheel controls to access the phonebook was unbelievable. Just something for people to keep in mind when buying a headunit! I know I'm sold on the idea, does the ANS 810 offer something like this or what sort of a system can I look for that will give me phone control and decent call quality?

Not particularly "on topic" but I had the chance to drive a Mk 6 Golf this evening with a built in Bluetooth system. The quality of the call and the handiness of having the steering wheel controls to access the phonebook was unbelievable. Just something for people to keep in mind when buying a headunit! I know I'm sold on the idea, does the ANS 810 offer something like this or what sort of a system can I look for that will give me phone control and decent call quality?

The ANS810 bluetooth isnt too bad but them ive never used factory fit bluetooth so have nothing to compare with.. however im not complaining as it works well enough.. Only thing of note is that it doesnt come with an external mic, but ive heard that may have changed since my model (being older).

The New one has more features, faster CPU and more memory, im sure bluetooth improvements were pencilled too!! best thing to do is speak to DKN on the VWwatercooled forum I posted the link too earlier, he is in direct contact with Audiosources and will be able to tell you how good the new one is and if it integrates with steering wheel etc. But bear in mind it wont be exactly factory, but then it doesnt cost anywhere close to what you would pay for a factory unit and all the CAN stuff etc and other modules should you be doing a retrofit..  It also takes less time to install than it would to buy a packet of chips from your local chippy!!

I emailed Audiosources direct for a price and got a reply today. Works out about £220 delivered! So thoughts are do I buy columbus (as I already have oe bluetooth fitted) and then buy an expensive interface to give av out for rear screens or do I buy the ans810 and could probably sell my bluetooth module which would cover the cost.

I've heard of issues with radio reception on the ans810? Also , is the nav quite slow as it's reading from an sd card compared to a hard drive and I presume if you went to Europe you would need another sd card with the maps on it?

I heard about the radio problems too and only have the single Fakra connector on the back of mine plugged in.. it isnt great but thats because I didnt spend the time to fit the dual Fakra connector I have in a box.. just me being lazy, plus I dont really listen to the radio... however when I was shooting around London it seemed to pick up the stations OK.

As for the Nav, its not lightning fast but certainly works well, also depends on where you position the GPS reciever on how good it picks up your location so bear this in mind (mine is just under the dash storage pod and works well enough).. regarding the maps im fairly sure the one in mine is a 4gb card with over 2gb used for Primo, and im sure mine covers all of Europe poss more!! but you can install whatever you want for GPS anyway so I wouldnt worry about that, you are no longer tied to VW maps.. its also a lot more custom than factory, you can change all sorts of options on it..

you should find what you need for nav stuff here

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/

Hope this helps, but I would advise reading the VWwatercooled forum post regarding the unit, most of your questions and answers will be there!

• Like 1

I had the Stream unit in mine before i changed to the ANS and the only thing that didnt show up after the swap was the heater controls!! I got the parking sensor display fine but newer head units seem to only read the info from the FL heater controls!!! strange i know but i tested it by fitting a new one and it worked fine..

Yes you lose the multichanger but i figured this was a small price to pay for gaining ipod/iphone, bluetooth, USB etc etc and it sounds much better too!!

In all fairness, if you have the money go for the ZENEC nc-2010 or 2011, but failing that the ANS is a very close second and a lot cheaper!!

PS, also as the ANS does not have fans etc you dont get any battery drain issues or have any CAN gateway crap to worry about, just plug it in!!

are this newer head units, the ANS 810B ive seen on there site, or another version? 

also, did your radio needed coding?

thanks

Edited by pc15