Steel Wheels - In a Muddle

Guys, 

I've been going a bit mad, I'm not good with wheel and tyre size conversions etc. Anyway I'm going to be doing a fair mileage this winter including some trips to Europe across France and Germany so I'm going to invest in some winter tyres, my alloys could do with a refurb so I figured if I went for some steel wheels I'd be able to get my allows done over winter and potentially save a little on the cost of the tyre if I went smaller. 

The steel wheel I've been quoted for is as follows:

6 x 15  5 x 100.00 x 57.00 ET: 43.00 5-hole steel wheel (8000)

Proposing to fit the following tyre:

Continental WinterContact TS 850 185/55 R15 86H BSW

Will the wheel fit ok and drive ok handling wise? I can just about get my head around tyres but the whole wheel thing, offsets etc has me very confused and I need to get these ordered asap really.

By my calculations which could be totally wrong I put the overall diameter change at 6mm which I'm guessing is ok as far as the speedo etc goes?

When in doubt turn to the knowledge of Briskskodians! 

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Nick

:blush: embarrassed I didn't know about the site before, slightly double embarrassed that I'm still not quite sure - the poke and inset looks quite significant to me, is that a problem you think?

Thanks

Nick

Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 14.1mm further away from the suspension strut.The outer rim will poke out 24.1mm less than before.

Diameter 590.9mm 584.5mm Circumference 1856.4mm 1836.3mm Poke 44.6mm 20.5mm Inset 120.6mm 106.5mm Speedo error 0% 1.09% Reading at 30mph 30mph 30.33mph Reading at 60mph 60mph 60.66mph Ride height gain 0mm -3.2mm Arch gap loss 0mm -3.2mm

Forget the poke and inset - 15" wheels won't clear the brakes on a vRS.

You need a 16" wheel with a 205/45/R16 or 195/50/R16 tyre.

May I suggest Nokian tyres if you want something that REALLY works well?

They will, on a standard car with 288mm discs.

They won't clear 312s.

Yes as said 15s clear standard brakes fine, also on 16s you would want a 45 profile tyre on a 195 not a 50.

Please have facts before posting ;)

Oh, and you're sure 195/45/R15? That's 6% different rolling radius. 195/50/R15 is under 2% different.

As I say, I'm sure you're correct. Facts etc.

Well 195/45/16 wich you said first not 15 gives something like 1.55% over read on your speedo where a 195/50 gives a 1.77% under read on your speedo. You always want it to under read really but this size diffrence means you would be doing 60.93 when your doing 60 on your speedo so its in the limits.

The steel wheel I've been quoted for is as follows:

6 x 15  5 x 100.00 x 57.00 ET: 43.00 5-hole steel wheel (8000)

Proposing to fit the following tyre:

Continental WinterContact TS 850 185/55 R15 86H BSW

Will the wheel fit ok and drive ok handling wise? I can just about get my head around tyres but the whole wheel thing, offsets etc has me very confused and I need to get these ordered asap really.

This is the correct size although the centre bore should actually be 57.1 mm.

We have alloy wheels in this size on our Fabia and they clear the vRS calipers although not by much. I expect steel wheels would allow greater clearance since they would have thinner metal. For photos see posts 9 & 24 in this thread, also comments in posts 19 & 22.

185/55 is the correct tyre size for 15" wheels on the vRS according to Skoda official documentation (pdf), and the only recommended size that permits use of snow chains. Look at the V5C for the car, in section 4, the Type Approval Number, then look up that number in the pdf.

For speedo calculations, people tend to be thinking relative to 205/45R16, but if you consider how they compare with the common 185/60R14 fitted to many Fabia then you'll see that 205/45R16 is 2.25% larger, and that 185/55R15 is closer to stock for the range.

The only handling issue we've noticed is that the steering feels quite light; as a consequence we're planning to get the steering assistance reduced using the diagnostic interface in the hope it will result in better feel.