Yeti TSi 1.2 2011 under bonnet parts missing question

soakins

Hello

I went to view (and chose to buy) a yeti TSi 1.2  from a private seller today. The car is immaculate, low mileage, drives well etc etc. All lovely.

Then, a few moments ago, I spotted an under-bonnet photo, albeit of a TDi, on this very forum.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/252387-tdi-140-under-the-bonnet/

Now, thinking back, the big soft 'insulating/sound deadening', fabric-like board seen stuck beneath the bonnet in that forum photo was, I think, *missing* from the car I saw today!

Presumably a TSi should have one just as a TDi does. What is it for?

And where can it have gone? The car has only ever had one service, at a proper skoda dealer. I'd be surprised if the bonnet had ever been opened by the vendor herself.

Am I going crazy? Does someone have an under-bonnet pic of a similar TSi that I could show to my vendor before I hand over the balance? The car is still under warranty. I am tempted to have the vendor sort this out with their dealer before we complete the transaction.

thanks in advance

Sam

Diesels have it as they rattle like old tractors. ;)

Petrols don't need the sound insulation on the underside of the bonnet.

I have it on my diesel, my wife doesn't on her 1.2tsi.

Both have been owned from new so not fiddled with.

Really, they don't bother to fit it to the petrols? Are the bonnets themselves the same? You'd think that a bonnet without the part would look unfinished - full of 'tabs' or holes or other obviously unused fixings?

And that's what it's for, is it - sound deadening? It's not a anti-pedestrian-death measure?

thanks for your answer, by the way...

Edited by soakins

It's to reduce diesel engine "clatter".  The petrols are noticeably quieter.

Not sure if the bonnets are the same, but as the bonnet is generally closed I doubt Skoda gave much thought to how it looks.

The sound deadening pad is only fitted where required.

My wife's 1.2tsi is so quiet I can't see any point in fitting it.

Has been discussed before.

Part Number is 5L0 863 831 and can be purchased at Dealer for under £30 complete with fixing

clips attached. A simple 'snap fit' taking minutes to fit.

Only query in past was would the extra to standard insulation cause excess heat but generally dismissed as unlikely. I think a few members fitted it and reported little benefit (noise reduction).

Could conceivably help starting/warming up in cold weather but again unlikely to have significant affect.

Other issue touched on was potential to void warranty if Dealer noticed the addition...again stretching the imagination of 'how'. I asked Dealer about affect on warranty and because he was non commital

decided to not go ahead and fit. Agree the under bonnet area looks a bit unfinished as never has car without insulation under bonnet.

Edited by kibby

My 2013 1.2 DSG has the under bonnet insulation from new. I am not sure if it is a DSG fitment only on the small petrol engine, but as mentioned on earlier posts, this engine is quiet anyway and probably does not need it

My 2013 1.2tsi didn't have it. I bought the oem part from Superskoda and fitted it myself in about 40 seconds - so the fittings are clearly the same. Under bonnet looks "finished" now and it's as quiet as a mouse (these direct injection petrols sound diesely on start up!).