Whoopsie boost gone bye bye

Tbh as soon as it happened I was watchin my pressure and temp gauges like a hawk incase there was a serious problem but all was normal .. I was planning on changing the oil pick up and return pipe next service as a precaution before this happened . It's had a compression tested and alls well plus dianogstics showed no fault codes other than expected so maybe just a knackered turbo ?? It's done 130k nearly and found out its a 2nd turbo that's coming off still got writing on the exhaust manifold lol

Surely that would indicate that there might be something up with oil supply or return?

Mine is on 130k miles and still on the original turbo. But it could be just normal failure as you say.

it is definitely worth giving the oil lines a good looking over anyway.

When I bought the car I thought the turbo looked newer than it should for the mileage and age and I can tell from the condition of the pipework throughout the engine it wasn't looked after before I had it . I've replaced most things over the two years I've had it and had planned to changed the oil pick up and return pipes on the next service which was gonna happen end of jan . Will have a butchers at the old ones comin off see if there's any obvious signs that caused it . I do remember heck in for play in the shaft over a year ago when I fitted a tip and there was play then so takin it stage two mite had something to so with it lol

Hope it's as you say, due to a stage 2 and not because of oil supply / pressure issues. As you know, the pickup does get clogged on these. Low oil pressure is death to a turbo bearing.

As another poster has said, my car is similar - bought at 80k miles, had a stage 1 remap almost straight away for 220bhp - and is now on 140,000 miles running as sweetly as ever with rakes of boost still.

I'm anal about regular oil changes though - brand new Mobil 1 0w-40 every 5,000 miles with a new genuine filter each time too.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted soon!  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I know what you mean !

Working in a garage I had use of the ramps when needed so changed oil and filters every 3k or so just because I could .. I had planned the next service for jan with the intention of Changin the pick up pipe as I hadn't changed it yet .

The turbo that came off was 2nd hand so no idea what mileage or life that had had either !

I've always looked after the whip letting it warm before giving it any and same for Cooling down .

It's typical I planned to sell up after the service but will see ..

In the meantime Luca (oet) has supplied me with another blower to get here moving again :)

So if I keep it I've got a spare one ripe for a hybrid ;)

• Like 1

Nice work. You're even more anal than me then! So, a little annoying it's gone pop. But if it's a used unit that a previous owner fitted - then who knows the history of it?

At least you have another unit now. But I'd deffo get the pickup changed now!

And...a hybrid you say? Looking forward to the posts about that!