Think my turbo has died

krisr32

So I have a mk1 fabia vrs, its been remapped for about 6/7k and it's current milage is 89k. So I guess it's still the standard turbo.

So was driving it home the other day, pulled out of a junction wasn't exactly driving fast and all of a sudden I had next to 0 power, and a siren noise, which from reading threads it would appear the turbos gone.

Took a few things off the car to try an inspect the turbo, didn't take it off but managed to spin the bearing in the turbo an it didn't have any play or movement in it, so I'd guess the impellers are okay and not smashing against the turbo shell? Does this sound likely to be the turbo and there could be a tiny amount of play on the bearing that my cold fingers couldn't pick up?

It doesn't smoke any more than usual, but literally only drove it for a mile or so with limping it home, so didnt get warm, don't want to risk any more engine damage in case it does go bang!

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks

Yeah plugged my diagnostic machine in to which it says no errors.

Yep the power went and siren noise appeared, it deffo has to be turbo related, got a friend to rev the engine while I squeezed the boost pipe after the egr and it didn't have any pressure.

Pretty certain boost pipes are okay, unless it's where I can't see, like under the car and on top on the pipe.

I'll try up load the noise it makes

Would the engine be boosting when it's not under load though ie sat stationary? So you might not be able to feel it.

I know when i've revved the car sat still my boost gauge barely moves at all so it's not creating any pressure, not any noticeable pressure anyway.

I'd have a look at the bottom boost pipe coming from the turbo to see if that's popped off! Mines done it a few times before.

Yeah wasn't right sure if it would be boosting when not under load.

Well I had the boost pipes off from egr (90deg bend) and the after that, then also the boost pipe that comes off the turbo and just quickly went over the intercooler pipes.

Guess it wouldn't harm too double check this lol

Guest BigJase88

Have you checked both boost pipes are connect at the intercooler in the wing?

This is the most likely place for them to pop off

Edited by BigJase88

Guest BigJase88

That is the first port of call

The top one is behind drivers headlight you may be able to see it from there

The bottom one is visible from under the car, there is an inspection hole in the undertray

Check these before you do anything else

I'm confident in saying that the boost pipes are okay.

Got a mate round who knows more about turbos than me, decided to go for a drive up the street to show him how it sounds..

Something wasn't happy lost virtually all power and now it sounds and looks like a fire extinguisher is going off under Neath passenger side, behind the wheel.

Managed to push it back down the hill to my house, could it be the turbo has come away from the manifold? And the exhaust now stops before it woukd normally go into the turbo?

So finally had chance to take her to a garage today, had to be towed which was fun, and the tow rope snapped half way haha!

Its the egr pipe has a massive split in it, as for the fire extinguisher noise its the elephant mod with the smoke gushing out underneath?

Getting one delivered for £77 genuine from Skoda special order tho, should be up an running on Friday.

Hope this solved the problem! Beats buying a new turbo