Rainwater in spare wheel well

Hi as the title suggests, I replaced a tyre yesterday and found about an inch of water in the spare wheel well. (It is not washer water as I had that problem and fixed the tube with superglue and rear washer still working. ) This is obviously following the 24 hours of rain we had a few days ago. 

Boot carpets do not seem wet. Anyone had this problem? Would be helpful if anyone could suggest some common places to check for leaks. 

Thanks

I'm pretty confident I read somewhere that the foam rubber hatch seal can cause this problem.

Apparently from what I recall there was a dealer modification because the foam rubber seal had been fitted with breather holes on its top side which allowed it to fill up with rain and eventually overflow on the inside causing the spare wheel well to fill up.

The fix was to replace the seal with one on which the holes were on the lower side and which didn't catch rain.

Of course somebody did mention you could cut a few drain holes on the bottom underside of the seal to let accumulated rain spill outwards.

Then again it may be possible to remove the seal and refit it the other way around, I can't say for sure offhand.

Good reminder though, I'll be fiddling with my 06 Octy later so will have to check mine, fingers crossed.

Rear boot seal seems to be a fairly common area. There have been posts before about punching additional holes in the seal to let the water out that gets into the seal. Mine has had a couple of inches in the spare wheel well previously.

very common to find the seal full of water. mine always is, i just keep forgetting to make the extra holes. Easy to make them with a bradel or small flat blade screw driver

A leather punch does a good job as well.

• Like 1