suspension options

Hi Guys

I think i may have broke a spring... i may use this opoptunity to refresh the suspension.

I would like to keep the stock ride height but would like it firmer maybe like an Audi but not rock hard like a Seat.

ideas and suggestions welcomed.

I was thinking similar recently. Not for a few months mind, but the mrs Octavia has a very wallowy ride after 160k so would like to firm it and and give it a bit of a drop. I'd be happy with shocks and springs if there are any that offer a reasonable drop AND keep the ride level or offer a smaller drop at the back as the rear seems to sit a little lower than the front, I'm not keen on the reverse rake look. 

I noticed a difference between the strut towers

one Is up and the other is down does the mean the top mount has gone and the spring is ok? Or is it something else?

Guest BigJase88

Possibly worn top mount on one side

If you want to stiffer it up id certainly go for the koni fsd's

Maybe new stock springs too if the old ones have had it

That will be due to worn top mount bushes, but as it looks like your suspension is going to be out you may as well fit new ones along with new top mount bearings. A lot of people have used pro sport coilovers due to the costs compared to new springs and dampers. And most people rate the coilovers very highly.

Guest BigJase88

Coilovers are crap for comfort which is what id say the OP is looking for

This prosport stuff will be utter garbage.

Koni fsd's and new stock springs to retain standard ride height is what the OP needs or Bilstein as above are also good

I'd suggest the bilstein B12 kit, which combines the B8 shock absorbers and Eibach prokit springs.

This can produce a small lowering (circa 10-15mm), however these are less crashy than the standard sports set up.

Combined with the much better damping of the new shocks, it's a great ride and not overly hard.

If you don't want any lowering, then Bilstein B6 shocks combined with new OEM springs would be a good setup and similar to the FSD above.

FWIW, I think the B12 provides a much better ride than the OEM springs and shocks.

Certainly I'd avoid coilovers if you want any comfort for your budget.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Thanks all again for your replies

now the question is if I gather together the kit of components required who is best to fit them as i'm not that talented

car wise.

I live around the Oldham area is their any garages with recommendations?

or maybe Gtr Manchester if that helps any.

FSD's and standard springs to retain factory levels of comfort. I've got FSD's but don't find them stiff enough for my liking.

Awesome GTi Site sponsors or in Oldham heard some good reviews for Volksmaster on Ashton RD.

• 4 weeks later...

sorry guys to dredge up a old thread but does anyone have any views re Kayaba suspension?

Found them on Camskill I've not heard of them but that does not mean they are rubbish either.