New to Skoda and driving, any tips on the Citigo?

ChalmersCameron

Hi guys,

I'm new to driving this year being only 17. I passed my test last June and as a first car (since I've been saving for ages) I have ordered a brand new Skoda Citigo with most of the options. I'm really exited and just wanted to hear if anyone has any tips on owning a Citigo.

But I just wanted to say hello to you all!

Cheers

Cam :)

Welcome to the forum Cam :)

Main tip from me is "Don't drive like an idiot!"

You've saved a long time and spent a lot of money to get this car, so dont show off in it and do something you'll regret.

After that its up to you what you do… but a Briskoda sticker is a definite :D

Have a search on the forum for ideas, you'll find loads of info on here, so get reading. 

From your PM, it seems you've addressed the poor DRL and Headlight issue, so you've an idea what people are doing to theirs.

The little mods Ive done on mine are in my build thread > http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/284094-damos-citigo-sport/

Let us know how you go on and post a pic up when you can

Cheers

Damo

• Like 1

I'd echo damo's advice....drive with intelligence and care, and don't be tempted to do stupid things involving alcohol and speed (mph).

A brand new car at 17...count yourself very lucky. Enjoy!

• Like 2

Don't worry I don't drink so that wont be a problem ;) But yeah I've saved for a while and have a real passion for cars so it's gonna be my pride and joy! Thanks for the advice as well Damo, and I'll post some pics when I get it.

I've also started a project journal as I'm gonna do some other mods so feel free to take a look at that too!

Cheers

Cam

Take your time. now you have passed your test I would suggest you do the Institite of Advanced  Motorists (IAM) Driving course. It takes a little of your time but you will learn to drive a lot better.

The reason more experienced drivers have fewer accidents is due to two main factors:

1. Lower testosterone than younger drivers.  You may feel invincible.  You are not.  If humans were really made to travel faster then 10mph they would have been born with wheels.  Assume that if you hit anything you will die or be crippled.  It is by far the most common cause of death at your age.  Be wary of volunteering as the "designated driver" if this means you will have three drunken lads in the car egguing you on to go faster and to make handbrake turns.

2. Your eyesight and car control will probably be excellent.  Your anticipation of other drivers' actions will be very poor because you haven't seen enough yet.  After 20-30 years you can recognise a dangerous driver from their road positioning, speed and general course.  In most cases you'll be able to anticipate them changing lanes without indicating, suddenly pulling into the kerb when they see the address they're looking for or drifting into the wrong lane at roundabouts.  Always give morons a vast amount of space, and you can assume pretty much everyone is a moron.  Certain types of car should be a red flag; Corsas of any description, old Vectras, Audi A3 (not-quite-making-it aggressive company car driver), old BMWs, Saxos.

• Like 2

^^^^^^Came across the very same today, heard him before seeing him. Old BMW, lowered of course and sitting that far back in his seat was almost lying down driving. Weaving all over the place and far too close to my rear bumper, as said ignore and give em plenty of room. They like cruising around at 15mph in the darker hours, in the darkest part of town as well, don't ask why I know, I just do.

Safe driving when you get your new Citigo. My daughter has just passed her test and she gets her car on Friday, I will be more worried than she will be I guess at first. She wants me to be alongside her for a few trips.

As a 20 year old who works with some people who like a drink I would not recommend being designated driver. A. Risk of others being sick in youe car. B. Its extremely distracting if they talk poop the whole distance and flail arms as they talk. And C they may expect it each time you go out. (I dont drink either btw)

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum :)

I suggest adding a Briskoda sticker, enjoying the car and get some good driving practice in.

Congrats on getting a new car at 17!

We need pictures when you get it.

Colour, spec and options?

My top tip (as you did actually ask about the Citigo) is to remember to fold the parcel shelf down before you get in... Or you can't see out of the back window. :)

• Like 2

Thanks for all the advice guys!

It's build week three so next week, I'll get photos up as soon as I can!

It's a 75hp 5dr Citigo Elegance in red with the all the option backs apart from the summer pack. It's also got the black vinyl racing stripe and the 4 alloys are being painted black by the dealer to save money ordering them in black from Skoda. I've been saving for a while now as I really like Skoda and have been working two jobs inbetween school to help save up. We also got a massive saving from the dealer as my parents have just purchased a brand new fully loaded Octavia estate!

I'm also doing a project on it, doing minor upgrades to make it a bit more individual! If you look on the project journal forum, you'll see mine and I'll keep you updated on there.

I've already ordered MTEC lights for all the front apart from the indicators which are Philips silver vision. I'm ordering a key cover to match the red paint and also I'm ordering my briskoda sticker tomorrow!

Thanks

Cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's a 75hp 5dr Citigo Elegance in red with the all the option backs apart from the summer pack. It's also got the black vinyl racing stripe and the 4 alloys are being painted black by the dealer to save money ordering them in black from Skoda. Tapatalk

Good choice, sounds exactly the same as my last one.

They do look good in red with the black rims and stripes.

If it arrived mid-feb are you getting them to hold it for a 14 plate or just have a 63 because you can't wait to start driving it?

• Like 1

I've said if it arrives in the last week of February, they can hold it but I'm thinking of getting a private plate so it doesn't bother me. The only thing is choosing a plate from the dealers choice that I like the look and sound of!

But yeah I'm really excited, so I'm not sure if I can let them hold it, plus it should arrive around the 1st Feb and that's my birthday so that makes it even more exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They usually take three weeks from build to arrive in the UK, get taken to your dealer and be PDI'd ready for delivery.

Just for info.

So if it's build week three I'd expect it week five/six.

Get some Mtec DRL bulbs and some Philips silver vision bulbs to get rid of the fried egg look on the front indicators. Upgrade the headlight bulbs which are H4 fitment! I changed mine for Ring Xenon max  :)

Follow the running in period for the first 1000 miles. 

Enjoy! 

Edited by VRSD30

Get some Mtec DRL bulbs and some Philips silver vision bulbs to get rid of the fried egg look on the front indicators. Upgrade the headlight bulbs which are H4 fitment! I changed mine for Ring Xenon max  :)

Follow the running in period for the first 1000 miles. 

Enjoy! 

Looking at his project thread I think he's already on the case. :)

• Like 2

I would wait for the 14 reg if its close to March as it will be worth around £200 more at resale time.

A guy on the Fiat forum has had his pants taken down by a dealer,who registered his new car on 31 December instead of 1 January just so the dealer can get his bonus for 2013.  The customer will drop around £300 at resale for the sake of one day as it will be a 2013 car instead of a 2014 car.

I would wait for the 14 reg if its close to March as it will be worth around £200 more at resale time.

A guy on the Fiat forum has had his pants taken down by a dealer,who registered his new car on 31 December instead of 1 January just so the dealer can get his bonus for 2013.  The customer will drop around £300 at resale for the sake of one day as it will be a 2013 car instead of a 2014 car.

Agreed, but dealers do push a 10 day registration policy, unless you ask in advance.

I always have the date I want the car specified on the order form.  Then no issues.

Another Top Tip

When you park up, leave the car with the wheels straight

Its not proven by any means, but it has been linked to a potentially serious issue where the steering wheel pulls violently to one side whilst driving

A couple of members have unfortunately experienced this

I always ensure my wheels are straight when parking

Rather be safe than sorry

• Like 1