Sam's Mk2 Blue VRS Estate

mrburdon123

On the car for a trial fit. VERY close to the rim and the balance weights but it's clear. Saw a blue mk1 on here where they've faded the wheels blue to silver. Looks really smart so reckon I'm gonna go race blue to black magic.

DSC_0593_zpsdp8zyiy0.jpg

Slight difference in offset for the better

DSC_0594_zpse2ebgtxr.jpg

Now to take the tyres off and prep

These are the 15inch wheels that are on. There no longer black but matt gun metal gray. 

• Like 1

How much was it for your bearings? Think mine need replacing. Also the front ones. Got a weird knock on my right hand side front. Cv joints been replaced so wheel bearing are next.

bit worrying all this wheel bearing stuff! I did 50k in my old one (29k in the new one now) with no bearing issues..... I wouldn't notice it right now with the RSR's as they are noisey as hell! lol

I had a knock on my old one, they put it on the MOT "shaker" and listened around, I got a new track rod end!

Yeah this is what im worried about. Being taken for a ride. I have described my prob to a few people and haven't really got a definitive answer. Mechanics ive used have done no better. Replaced my outer cv which did nothing.

Easiest way to check bearings if its not obvious is to get a metal bar eg screw driver. Jack the wheel up so it's off the floor. Hold one end of the metal bar onto your suspension strut and put the other end of the bar onto your ear. Spin the wheel and you'll be able to feel/hear any grinding really easily.

The knackered bearings on mine where obvious from just spinning the wheel so I didn't bother doing the above.

Problem is wit bearings is they deteriorate over a few months so most of the time it's only until you've replaced them you realise how much noise they make.

I initially thought the noise was because of the wheels and tyres I had on so just left it and turned the radio up.

Easiest way to check bearings if its not obvious is to get a metal bar eg screw driver. Jack the wheel up so it's off the floor. Hold one end of the metal bar onto your suspension strut and put the other end of the bar onto your ear. Spin the wheel and you'll be able to feel/hear any grinding really easily.

The knackered bearings on mine where obvious from just spinning the wheel so I didn't bother doing the above.

also, when driving and hearing the drone, throw the car from side to side, if the drone lessens in one direction, you can identify which side....

See its not bearings then. Although it does make a lot of noise (the car) it only happens on right lock, like a clicking/scraping sound. Makes it faintly over speed bumps too. Happens from half lock to full lock. Ie: roundabouts, car parks etc.

also, when driving and hearing the drone, throw the car from side to side, if the drone lessens in one direction, you can identify which side....

I thought this so have been throwing it around like a mad man but for me, the bearing noise was constant going left right or straigh.

• Like 1

they look good them thanks for the pics.. tempted to drop down to some lesser inch for my winters myself.. how much did you pick them up for if you dont mind me asking MrBurdon? and what tyres are you running them with?

what tyres? if you had never had the paradas before, they might be a bit noisey being track biased tyres? was it confirmed your bearings were gone? i.e there was play in the wheel....?

I had the parads on with the 18inch wheels and thought that these were causing all the road noise issues. I then switched to the 15 inch wheels with mohawk tyres a week after running with the paradas - the road noise was still there but now i could hear a wiring that to me could only mean a bearing was duff. I checked both the back wheels for play - nothing. I then jacked the car up, took the h brake off, span the wheel and could hear that the bearings where stuffed.

Took the car in for the bearing change, and voilà, no road noise.

Im pulling the old bearing apart tonight to see what the damage was so ill post a few pics up. 

they look good them thanks for the pics.. tempted to drop down to some lesser inch for my winters myself.. how much did you pick them up for if you dont mind me asking MrBurdon? and what tyres are you running them with?

I picked them up from Ebay for £55 - a bargin! I have just spend £200 on a full referb though. 

Im running Mohawk, just some cheepo stuff. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

literally a minute ago, ordered one of these GFB DV+. 

Should arrive Friday so will be putting it on at the weekend. 

T9355_zps37b6ddeb.jpg

let us know how you get on with fitting it buddy. I've been looking at the lease as well. I asked amd if they was doing Black Friday but there not.

let us know how you get on with fitting it buddy. I've been looking at the lease as well. I asked amd if they was doing Black Friday but there not.

Will do. The fitting to the engine will be the as the forge choo choo valve. i just got to pull the OEM valve piston off which is the new bit...

The parts being delivered today so will be fitting tonight. Will post the whole process up with pics. 

Excited :) !!

• Like 2

Will do. The fitting to the engine will be the as the forge choo choo valve. i just got to pull the OEM valve piston off which is the new bit...

The parts being delivered today so will be fitting tonight. Will post the whole process up with pics. 

Excited :) !!

if I wasn't busy tonight I would have popped down. Good luck with it.

if I wasn't busy tonight I would have popped down. Good luck with it.

Whereabouts in Derbyshire are you chief? Your more then welcome to pop down at the weekend for a look see if you like? You've also done a few mods id like to do but am still a bit wary of i.e the removal of the insulation around the supercharger.....has it caused you any issues yet? (not that im suggesting it will mind) 

Also, have you fitted that milltek and remapped it for the decat yet?

Whereabouts in Derbyshire are you chief? Your more then welcome to pop down at the weekend for a look see if you like? You've also done a few mods id like to do but am still a bit wary of i.e the removal of the insulation around the supercharger.....has it caused you any issues yet? (not that im suggesting it will mind) 

Also, have you fitted that milltek and remapped it for the decat yet?

I'm at chesterfield buddy. I work alday on Saturdays and going to Mainz car care openday (m1 j29a) Sunday morning, so maybe I could pop down in the afternoon time. Yeah I done a few to the vrs. The supercharger is fine. Love the whine from the bottom end. I'm waiting for the Black Friday at awesome to see if the price is good on the cat back then it'll be going on in one.