Advice needed on buying an Octavia

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and was after some advice, I am looking at getting an Octavia, no more than 5 years old, budget 4-6k.

I need some advice as type of fuel and engine size, I will be doing about about 25k miles, most of that will be motorway but some town driving too, I am looking at the 1.4 and 1.6 engines and either petrol or diesel.

Would a 1.4 be a good choice, from what I've researched the 1.4 is not really that underpowered and it also drives nicer than a 1.6 and has a chain timing belt and not a cam belt.

I have also read that the diesel can take a while to get going, so if emerging from really busy junctions can be an issue?

The 1.6 tdi free line has a good mpg just concerned about the dual flywheel

Would appreciate your help and advice.

Thank you

Forgot to say I am from Kent UK

Edited by airman111

Hi Guys,

Thanks all, I can't really afford anything more than a 1.6 I maybe looking at a ford focus too. I really hope the 1.6 octavia will be good enough. Ideally I don't want anything more than 5 years older, but I may have to increase my budget to find an octavia.

I've got a 10 plate 1.4 TSI manual - returns in the region of 44mpg doing around 13-14k per year.  The 1.6 diesel is supposed to be a very good engine despite it's size and relative lack of power, I've test driven the 1.6 in the mark 3 Octavia and that was a nice drive.  Avoid the old 1.9 TDI as that's a PD (Pump Deuse) as opposed to the newer CR (Common Rail) diesels.  Greenline 1.6 includes stop start which drops the emissions and ups the mpg.

Hope that helps.

Steve.

I've got the 1.6 tdi (105 hp) and it is perfect for what I do. Great MPG, lots of space (have the combi) and goes quite ok (but if you press on too much MPG suffers a lot more than the bigger diesels). I would highly recommend it. If you can stretch to the Greenline verson go for it (when I got mine they had none of those just the regular 1.6 tdi).

Just made a trip from Luxembourg to Portugal this xmas (4 000 kms return) and it was very good - quite confortable, very economical (4.5 l/100km #62.7mpg# overall with some pushing over France - 140km/h) and overall very relaxed on both trips (car lightly loaded on the way in and very loaded on the way back).

Very happy I got it.