VRS Boost Leak - intercooler split again?

iamrcb

In the last 150k miles of my ownership (190k in total) of my 04 MK1 VRS I've gone through several sections of plastic 'boost' pipe that have failed, resulting in air leaks. Also once, the intercooler split at the bottom, again resulting in an air leak. I replaced it with a cheap used replacement bought from a member of this site, which did the job for a year or so.

I now have another air leak, with a hissy woosh (more than is normal) from the drivers side of the engine when the boost builds up. There is minimal power loss.

I'm going to have this checked out to see where the leak is. It sounds exacly like when the intercooler went last year. I'm hoping its not the intercooler, but if it is, could there be a reason why this one has gone as well as the previous one? Are they known to split/leak at high mileage or I have just been unlucky? 

My car is standard

Thanks

Hopefully it'll be the pipe and not the intercooler, which is still standard and they are fairly expensive to replace

Was the intercooler you replaced the broken one with a genuine one?