Opportunity to switch to fixed servicing?

My 2011 Tsi VRS is on a variable service regime. I'd prefer that it were on a fixed one. It's clocked up just over 19,000 miles now. Wondering if I should book it in for the next (major) service early and switch to a fixed plan rather than wait for the next variable slot. Any thoughts on this?

How many miles do you do per year?

A 2011 car on 19,000 miles - less than 10K / year? I'm guessing you've already had one service which if on variable will have been prompted more by the time than the mileage.

I'd say you want to be on a fixed interval - 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever is reached first.

Take a look at what is covered under a fixed and variable service. Even on the variable scheme you'd be crazy to pay £249 when all you get over the fixed service (£129) is an air and fuel filter and spark plugs. Best to have a fixed service and pay the extra £80 for the additional items...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing/

Same as you I bought my 2011 TSi vRS at 10 months old and 8K on the clock, so booked it in for its one year anniversary and switched it to fixed. Much prefer knowing that it has a service once a year.

I bought it second hand in August with 13,500 on the clock. So in five months I've done around 6000 miles. Probably do around 12,000 a year. Fixed servicing is my preference without a doubt. The oil is filthy!

I switched mine to fixed after it's 2nd variable (set wrong at new). Fixed is 9500 miles not 10k (it's 15000km).

I think the benefits are debatable but it can't be doing the car any harm.

Our Octavia FL 1.8TSi was switched to fixed servicing just after we bought it new.  I think the benefits are debatable, but I definitely prefer the oil changed more regularly.  In fact, I use the long life 504.00 oil even though I am changing it once a year.  The price difference is marginal and not worth worrying about.  In all honesty, if one spends £20K plus on a car, then the price of a couple of extra services is very marginal.  To a private potential purchaser, if you were to sell the car second hand, I think it might be worth a couple of hundred quid more, I'd certainly pay a bit more because it gives the impression that one has looked after the car for the long term.

If one is just going to run the car for 3 years then part exchange it, I'd argue why bother and just have the one service depending on how many miles you do.  If you are into long term ownership, like me, then servicing more often has got to be good news.  From my point of view, fresh oil running around more often on the cam chain tensioner is no bad thing.

I intend to keep the car until it is no longer financially viable. Perfect vehicle! Bit of a concern about the tensioner but that's it. Regular servicing may keep the car healthier. I'm not worried about the cost so much.