Brake fluid change

What are you all doing with the old brake fluid?

I did mine on bin day, before the bin men came. I left it by the car for half an hour, while I put the tools away and got washed up, and by the time I came out to take it up to the tip the bin men had taken it.

Dump it in the waste oil tank at the local tip.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yup. I have an empty 5l oil bottle. Anything like this goes in there then when it's full I take it to the tip and empty it.

Phil

Over here in Germany if you buy any oils for your car the shop that sold them is obliged to take the waste oil back, so just take your receipt and a container with the old stuff. Alternatively once every couple of months they have a hazardous waste collection truck in the local supermarket car park and you can take oil, paint etc etc and they take it away.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi chaps,

Sorry for opening this old thread up but I have looked at all the posts I can for changing brake fluid and bleeding the clutch. New to Skoda after being a saab man for 20 years. I now have a 62 plate Octavia mark 2 1.6TDI.I always do all my own servicing even though the body is telling me not to.

Car has never had brake fluid change so going to do this shortly with an eezibleed. However my confusion lies with bleeding the clutch. I presume that once I bleed and change the brake fluid I then do the clutch as well. I am assuming the brake fluid reservoir is for both brake and clutch so I don't need to look for a separate clutch reservoir to attaché the eezibleed system to.

So question is where do I need to look for bleeding the clutch .Is there a slave cylinder with a bleed nipple on it I can access? On reading here there is but I could do with some help finding it and any other useful tips or pictures.   

Many thanks David

Thanks tech1e. I just thought it would be best if I follow what I think is the right procedure. New to all this Skoda stuff and its a bit different to my old saab 9 3 where I knew a hell of a lot as to what to do.

I will be doing the brakes in the next few weeks so we will see how it goes.Now to track down a cruise control retrofit. Good info here though and much appreciated.David

I wouldn't bother bleeding the clutch if you don't have a concern. There is really no need.

If you have a concentric clutch slave cylinder I would still change the clutch fluid at the same time as the brake fluid. If(when) the fluid absorbs moisture (it's hygroscopic) and causes corrosion with the slave cylinder it's a big big gearbox off job. It also usually takes out the clutch friction material due to contamination with clutch/brake fluid

If it's an external slave cylinder it's mounted on the top of the gearbox with bleed nipple on slave cylinder. 

If it's a concentric slave cylinder then the bleed nipple is in the same position as the hydraulic pipe enters the bellhousing

Edited by bigjohn

Thanks for that John, I will definitely bleed the clutch armed with the info you provided. Very helpful all of you who have replied.David

If you are going to bleed the clutch make sure you have a pressure bleeder to hand. Also be very gentle with the bleed screw as I've seen plenty draw in air after.

You don't have a concentric release bearing so there isn't too much to worry about.

Edited by Tech1e

I have the Eezibleed on order and will have a good look at all videos etc on using this. will be careful bleeding as well as don't want any air in the system.

• 1 month later...

Well folks I did the brake fluid change at the weekend and I discovered a slight problem whilst doing it.

Connected everything up correctly and ensured the spare tyre had only 15psi in it. When I opened the bleed nipple up on any wheel not only did I get fluid coming out of caliper but also from what I think is the underside of the brake fluid reservoir.

The cap on the car reservoir was tight and could see no leak from this.

I didn't perform a pressure test prior to the procedure so this was my only omission.

Therefore I am assuming the leak has come from the master cylinder. Is this a possibility? The car is 4 years old so am thinking maybe the seals aren't very good.  Any views on this as my thoughts are seals should last a bit longer.Car brakes okay at present .

One  final thing is that this is the first brake fluid change the car has had.

Many thanks again David

• 6 years later...
On 17/01/2014 at 13:50, FriendlyFire said:

Modern Skoda's require bleeding at 3 years and then every 2 years thereafter. Mine, a 2008, was 2 and every 2 thereafter. You should check your service book for the details. You will also need to drain 200 ml from the clutch before you do the brakes. You may need to remove the battery and air box for access.

Hi,

As you mentioned draining 200 ml from clutch is this for manual box or dsg as well ?