whats this?

h39

Ive had a few electrical problems in this damn rain and when fiddling around under the dash i remembered about this thing. anybody know what its for or where it should be plugged in? its positioned directly to the left of the fuse box under the steering column. in the picture the orange wire was wired into the fuse box and the green blue and red wires go to a three pronged male plug end(shown right of picture in front of fusebox). any ideas?

post-111247-0-69913300-1389904512_thumb.jpg

That's not original Skoda electrics, looks like some aftermarket addition put in at some later point.  Probably wired in to a live ignition feed from the fusebox, so I'd see it would have no reason to cause any issues.  WHat are your problems - battery draining or just funny electrics?  Check earthing points are all in good nick and not suffering corrosion.

im aware the relay or whatever it is isnt causing any problems, i just wondered where it should be plugged in, i recognised the relay wasnt original but the plug on the end is definitly a skoda original, i seem to think i have a differnt dash than what i should so maybe somethings missing.The electrics are buggering about because i seem to have alot of water getting in behind the dash and pouring through the fusebox !

Hi h39 , I suggest blocked rainwater drains in the trough that the wiper & washer bottle sit in. They are rubber tubes which run from each corner of the trough into the wheel arch. A fiexabie wire or similar will clear them but they are easily remove able to reseal with mastic once cleared, Pete,Covskoda.

If your drain plugs r clear then could b the windscreen. my old estelle sport had a leak tried everything then the old boy over the road said it will b your windscreen rubber. I said no can't b he said I'm telling u all these old cars suffer as the screens r not bonded. I tried everything else so I thought why not get the screen out have a look. I've nothing to lose 2 my surprise there was a rusty water mark right above the fuse box on closer inspection there was a water mark the other side as we'll not as bad but there. Checked windscreen rubber sure enough near the corners had lifted and was out of shape so my guess is the rubber has shrunk. Put it bt he screen back in cut the rubber and rang the rac screen place and said someone has tried 2 steal my windscreen payed the £35 access. New a new rubber and it got sealed as well never leaked again. About a week later I see the old boy and said u were right u no he replyed I'm always right whilst laughing. it's called a compillery reaction where the water can move up and over my thought was gravity won't allow water up hill but true 2 his word it is the only explanation.

Never leaked again

It is an original Skoda relay and it's for the intermittent wipers. The GL [which had the Rapid dashboard] and Rapid models had intermittent wipers with 3 delay periods using a switch on the upper dashboard. The relay was incorporated into the switch. Other [Estelle] models with the 1 piece dashboard and intermittent wipers, such as 120L5, 130LSE among others had only one delay setting and it was controlled by the relay you photographed.

It is an original Skoda relay and it's for the intermittent wipers. The GL [which had the Rapid dashboard] and Rapid models had intermittent wipers with 3 delay periods using a switch on the upper dashboard. The relay was incorporated into the switch. Other [Estelle] models with the 1 piece dashboard and intermittent wipers, such as 120L5, 130LSE among others had only one delay setting and it was controlled by the relay you photographed.

makes sense as to why the male plug doesnt seem to fit anywhere because i dont have a switch for wiper speeds on the dash only on wiper stalk. 

post-111247-0-55030000-1390048407_thumb.jpg

forgive my amatuerness but whats the one piece dashboard??

this is what is in my car.many thanks.

post-111247-0-32490500-1390048440_thumb.jpg

post-111247-0-22032100-1390048505_thumb.jpg