Fabia Elegance, but with VRS things

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade from my Polo. I tired a yaris, but found them too flimsy, and luckily the dealer also had a vRS available. I drove it and absolutely loved it. My only hesitancy is that the new car will be primairly used for chauffering kids and supermarket runs. For that reason, I dont want the thin tyres or the hard suspension. What I do love is the steering wheel, with the shift paddles and the sport seats...and the DSG !

So, I thought, I could get an SE or an Elegance and have the shift paddles and sports seats, but it seems like theres no option to do that, and searching on google has not come up with any success either.

Am I being too harsh by discarding the vRS. I wont be using it for speeds, and oil/octane 99 petrol will not make it economical to run. Or should I focus on the SE or ELegance, maybe even a new Polo GTI ?

I would prefer the SKoda !

Cheers

Dipak

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade from my Polo. I tired a yaris, but found them too flimsy, and luckily the dealer also had a vRS available. I drove it and absolutely loved it. My only hesitancy is that the new car will be primairly used for chauffering kids and supermarket runs. For that reason, I dont want the thin tyres or the hard suspension. What I do love is the steering wheel, with the shift paddles and the sport seats...and the DSG !

So, I thought, I could get an SE or an Elegance and have the shift paddles and sports seats, but it seems like theres no option to do that, and searching on google has not come up with any success either.

Am I being too harsh by discarding the vRS. I wont be using it for speeds, and oil/octane 99 petrol will not make it economical to run. Or should I focus on the SE or ELegance, maybe even a new Polo GTI ?

I would prefer the SKoda !

Cheers

Dipak

Get an SE/Elegance and keep your eyes peeled for VRS seats on eBay? 

Alternatively buy a VRS and swap the wheels for smaller ones (it's the wheels that are the issue, not the suspension, in my opinion). I dare say a forum member would give you good money for your VRS wheels. 

I owned a VRS and economy wasn't an issue. Perfectly capable of 50mpg if you treat it nicely. 

You can buy a vrs steering wheel with paddles and code them to work with any dsg car.

Ditto the above about the 1.2tsi - cracking engine! I have it in the Rapid with 6 speed box and it's well matched.

I like the sports seats in the monte i test drove. But the ones in the se are comfy, just dont hold you quite as well. I dont think the sports seats are good enough to warrant a few hundred quid swap.

I also dont think you need a vrs engine for what you want it for. I read earlier that somebodys vrs took 20 miles to get up to fun running temp in 2 degree conditions.

If your doing lots of short journeys, it sounds like they arent ideal.

My 1.2 htp cold engine light went off (i dont know what temp it goes off at, but its not full running temp i dont think) after about 2 miles this mornin (once id defrosted it for about 5 mins) and it was -3 out there.

The Coolant temp of around 88*oC can be reached in a few minutes with petrols, and thats the same in a vRS as well.

Maye a bit longer to get the thermostat open on a Diesel.

Normal operating Oil Temps can be considerably longer to get up too, where better MPG might be achieved at.,

but many do not bother about things like Oil Temperarture and use hard from the off.

& have no issues of any kind.

A new Polo GTI is nice, but new about £5 -6,000 more than a vRS new,

and worth about the same or maybe £1,000 more after 3 years.

george

Will my engine light be off a sensor in the coolant or the oil then? Its an unfair comparison if it is isnt it.

Yeah. Nothing worse than thrashing a cold engine. Makes me cringe. I always drive my cars and bikes really carefully until fully up to temp.

It is a Coolant light,  Cold/Hot (or less cold)

Not an Oil Temperature Light.

Coolant up to temp quick to get Oil/Engine warm, (Circulating around the Block untill hot enough to open the thermostat)

then coolant is always trying to keep Oil Cooler once it gets to heat, keeping it at around 88-90-100*oC, and at its efficient range.

Oil is also a coolant.

• Like 1

Yeah you can plug in a bluetooth thing into the car which sends info over to an app on your phone. However its £70 and there arent any other features that interest me (maybe clearing fault codes might be useful one day) so i cant really justify the money.

Its a very restricted system anyway from what iv seen. Cant change settings like anti hijack or anything like that.

You'll miss the vRS engine if you don't get the real thing... Just get a new set of 15" alloy wheels and tyres from mytyres which do indeed take the edge off the ride and drop the tyre noise too if you are careful with the selection. Gigaro alloys will sell on to recover most of the cost, SE/Elegance seats won't. The vRS can use 95 ron petrol too, just drops the power a bit, but still way more fun than a 105 engine when you feel like it

Well, I need to buy a car this weekend.

My heart says vRS TSI DSG, but my head/wallet says 1.2 TSI 105 DSG.

One concern I have over the vRS is that I would be buying it from a Toyota dealer (who got the VRS for a p/x on a yaris !!)

It's an 11 plate with  12K miles for ~ £9K. He's keen to sell it and telling me that there no probs with oil and would still be covered by skoda under warranty..Since he is a Used car salesman, he does remind me a bit of Arthur Daley, so dont really trust all he says.

the 1.2 SE is from a skoda dealer. it's also a 11 plate but with 30K on the clock at ~£8.5 K

decisions, decisions.....can I trust Arther Daley ?

I am sure he is keen to sell the vRS.

Ask him to put a 2 year 'Skoda Extended Warranty' on it, (he can get it against his business tax

(or he can knock at the very least the £550 for one of the price off his cars asking price so you can buy one.)

But i would not touch the vRS with only the remainder of the original 3 year Warranty from Skoda.

(Worth checking with Skoda UK to see what warranty work has been done if any, maybe an Oil Consumption Test,

and check if it has had 2 services. If the car does interest you.)

It could be a perfectly good car and with a Warranty it should give piece of mind.

george

Maybe not as a Business so would be like Commercially,

the terms and conditions might mean you need to purchase it,

just when the Original expires.

No need to get it early, before the 3 years one expires.

*But it must not have know problems, so if they have done some Warranty work, then thats a known problem,

but then if they started they need to finish,  That is Skoda i mean.*

So if interested in the car see about getting that off the cars price.

Lay it on to him how he might struggle to sell it now that people know the possible issues.

When he says he knows his business, selling cars.

Suggest he calls some Trade Contacts and just ask, and see who 'In the Trade' would be interested in taking it from him.

Just wind him up!

Actually he did try to pressurise me into buying at the listed price. Came up with the old lame excuse that someone else was interested was going to buy it that afternoon, unless I handed him my bank details on the phone. I think that's when I felt that I was being taken for a ride. Especially as the car has not had a single test drive since I did one a few weeks ago ( I had forgotten my hat and it was still there in the drivers seat).

Anyways, I got a vRS from a skoda dealer with the 2 yrs service and an extra 2 yrs warranty included.

Now I need to go through all the project threads to see how I can pimp my ride !

Cheers and thanks all for the guidance.

D

• Like 1

Welcome to Twincharger ownership.

Good move.

george

thanks George.

Sound system upgrade is Pimp My ride Project 1.

I think the HU and speakers are ok....need to get a amp ( cross over ?) and a under-seat storage, but will start a new thread in ICE.

I would go in a grand, perhaps even 1200 quid under the asking, replace the wheels, keeping the old un's for when you sell, if mint. Then get the extended warranty myself! (Check it is available for next owner first, but I recon it is). Keep it  a year or two, replace the wheels, sell on and settle down with a (Then newer) standard type Fabia or Rapide.

Have a little fun before the pipe and slippers!

Youll want to upgrade the speakers first id of though, powering them with the headunit, via an amp.

But thats for another time!

Enjoy the car!

you sure? I was told the speakers are good, but I suppose that's relative. I like to listen to good vocals, string and classical music, with a bit of Bon Jovi and Queen thrown in....ie bass has to punchy but short, not boomy and shakey.