Fabia Monte Carlo for the wife?

neil_f

Anyone buying a Used Monte Carlo needs to be sure they do not get landed with the one of the few 69 (70 ps) ones that were sold.

Unless they actually are after one like that .

One currently advertised on Autotrader.

But it might be posted wrongly and could be a 86 ps.  ('Its a mystery'.)

• Like 1

To be fair we found there were plenty of used 86PS TSI models, but the 105PS is rarer so the dealers didn't really want to haggle much on them. We had a deal sorted on an ex-demo 105PS that was 12 months old, but then found for a grand more we could get a brand new one from another dealer through an online broker.

yeah noticed that the 105 is quite rare and tends to be quite a bit more expensive.

Allegedly these are the self same engine simply with a lower power map on the 86.  I for one would therefore be out scouting for the best 86ps model I could find then driving it to Shark Performance or A.N.Other reputable remapper to slap on a tasty little 130bhp map :)

Agreed. But then over 5 years ownership we'd pay more in increased insurance premiums than the difference between an 86PS and 105PS car, not to mention resale value being lower on the 86PS and impact on the Skoda warranty if there's any left. For us it made more sense to get the car we wanted, rather than the lesser spec mapped up - which is unusual for me as lots of my previous cars have been remapped.

Sounds like it's the same buggy, as we have a bugaboo camaleon 3. Interestingly the corsa boot is 260l where as the fabia is quoted at 315litre. It will fit flat in the corsa as long as we remove the large wheels. Was hoping the fabia would be slighlty better. Think I'll just need to try it. Can't convince her to buy an estate.

Have to admit we didn't try taking the wheels off - perhaps that would work - but yes, a Bugaboo C3 is what we've got too. I guess it comes down to how comfortable you are having stuff strewn all over the car because there's no room in the boot once the buggy's in!

The estate is really quite similar to the hatch - there's only 30cm difference I think. Has she seen a Monte estate? Some people prefer it to the regular estate. Or a scout maybe - the scout's the most attractive estate in the range imo (but relatively expensive I think).

Have to admit we didn't try taking the wheels off - perhaps that would work - but yes, a Bugaboo C3 is what we've got too. I guess it comes down to how comfortable you are having stuff strewn all over the car because there's no room in the boot once the buggy's in!

The estate is really quite similar to the hatch - there's only 30cm difference I think. Has she seen a Monte estate? Some people prefer it to the regular estate. Or a scout maybe - the scout's the most attractive estate in the range imo (but relatively expensive I think).

yeah I showed her a picture of the monte carlo estate and she didn't like it. It's the same situation with the boot space in the corsa just now - think I'm just spoilt with the boot space in the octavia! She doesn't want a bigger car either - was tring to suggest a seat leon. Have found a 2011 hatchback 86ps model with 17k miles in a dealer near us. It's silver and has maxidot and climate control. Want £7795 which seems a good price?

Lots of replies already but thought I'd add one as I bought a used Fabia TDi hatch just under 2 years ago.  It was to be the most sensible car I've ever bought (normally a 'hot hatch' owner!) but I'm so pleased I bought it.  Everything about it (apart from handling on B-roads) has been better than I expected.

Mine is a 2008 Sport, so not quite as good looking as a Monte Carlo but I like it more than most other little hatchbacks of that age.  After test-driving the 1.2 and 1.4 petrol and being disappointed with both, I decided I definitely needed the 1.9TDi, which is also 105bhp like the newer 1.6TDi engine.  From driving diesels for a few years for work, I've learned not to race people away from traffic lights often any more (the 0-60 isn't stunning) but what surprises me about my little Fabia TDi is how much power is 'on tap' for short bursts such as overtaking once it's moving.  It's INSTANT.  From ANY speed.  In ANY gear.  It's so easy to drive.  Around town, it's comparable to my MGF VVC and Citroen Saxo VTS that I've had in the past (both 0-60 in about 7 seconds).  It has basically no turbo lag and that means that, in traffic at least, it actually feels "nippier" than the Subaru Impreza WRX that I had a few years back.

But I didn't buy a diesel to go fast.  I bought it for work (I'm self-employed), mostly to visit clients within my town or just beyond and to only do about 9,000 miles a year.  I also use it for personal use, including the odd 3hr journey to the in-laws (it's surprisingly good on motorways too!) or 1000-mile holiday trip to Cornwall.  Around town (and it's very built-up here), I can average 42-46mpg in the rush hour and 46-52mpg late at night when the roads are quiet.  It's similar on motorways.  But, if I drive calmly to the next town on a straight B-road, I can get 60mpg and, in Norfolk, I've averaged 70mpg!  I used to get 40mpg from every tank in my 2006 Astra 1.7CDTi van (and the same in my 1999 Astra 1.7DTi van before that one) and around 28-32mpg around town in anything taking petrol.  Nothing has gone wrong in the last 21 months so, throw in some 'no expense spared' maintenance and the savings in cheaper tax and fuel, and my accountant confirms that it's (overall) cheaper to own than anything I've ever had (including a couple of £1000 'cheap runarounds', which were a false economy).

As I said, I used to have an Astra van for work.  I didn't need that much boot space often so I wanted to switch to a decent-looking hatchback that was small, easy to park, reliable and cheap to run.  The Fabia's boot size was still a consideration and I discounted several other cars such as the Suzuki Swift due to tiny boots.  The Fabia boot isn't quite as big as an Astra hatchback but I suspect that it's bigger than a Corsa.  A winning factor for me was also that the back seats are so quick and easy to put down and they fold almost totally flat - that makes more of a difference than I was expecting.  I've had a wheelie bin and a dishwasher in the back!

Incidentally, I did test-drive a Fabia Estate but I wasn't keen on the looks and it actually felt TOO big, believe it or not - I'm only 5'6" and I felt like a little child sitting in the front!

Sorry, I do seem to like the sound of my own voice ......but I hope my experience of the Fabia helps you to decide :-)

Well thanks for all the advice. Wife drove the 86ps monte carlo today and loved it. Bought a 2011 model in silver with 18k miles. Also has climate control, cruise control, maxidot and centre armrest. Ended up getting it for £7295 with a years warranty, service, mot (as it's due in march) and full tank of fuel.

• Like 1

Well thanks for all the advice. Wife drove the 86ps monte carlo today and loved it. Bought a 2011 model in silver with 18k miles. Also has climate control, cruise control, maxidot and centre armrest. Ended up getting it for £7295 with a years warranty, service, mot (as it's due in march) and full tank of fuel.

Great news, sounds like a good deal, I'm sure she'll love it :happy:

I agree - great deal. I'm jealous about your climate control ! :sun:

yeah really wanted one with climate as it makes the dash look a lot better. Not many about with it to be honest. Same with maxidot - I think it makes the instrument cluster look a lot more modern plus you get a proper engine temperature gauge.