Knackered front shocks, I think - but is this all?

will_

Short story:

If I'm replacing the front shock absorbers, is it worth also replacing the springs, bump stops and top bearings at the same time?  My Octavia 4x4 estate is 13 years old and has done nearly 160,000 miles.  Is it possible to obtain these parts pre-assembled?

Long story:

I'm not sure how much of this is significant but will include it in case it is.

I've noticed a noise that's half way between a wheel-bearing-drone and a metalic grinding coming from the front, which has gone from not noticeable to quite noticeable over about a week or two.  Both front wheel bearings are new or "recent"-ish, so I'm going back to the garage that installed them about this.

Then this morning, there was a considerable clunking coming from, I think, somewhere at the front.  I can't see anything hanging off, which makes me think it's either a perished rubber bush or a snapped coil spring.  When I bounce the bonnet, it seems pretty clear that the shock absorbers have had it - after pressing down, it bounces up, down, up, down, up before settling.  This happens on both sides.

My commute to work involves 12 miles of country lanes, which have recently been flooded and developed several new pot-holes, a couple of which caught me out the day before the clunking started.

It sounds like I have several problems that need attention but the clunking is the one that made me get a taxi to work today and needs fixing urgently.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated!

I haven;t seen preassembled shocks with springs but you can buy all the parts and go to a shop and let them assemble for a few pounds and then you can install them,is the safest way,because pressing and depressing springs is quite risky

Edited by IulianE
  • Like 1

Bump stops are usually in a bad way, particularly the Estate rears. When I changed my (knackered) shocks at around 60,000, I quickly found out that the springs were tired too. Although my car appeared to have towed a big caravan exclusively between 21,000 and 49,000 miles on the clock, and not much ordinary driving. But my experience with others is that at least the rear bump stops are most often well past it.

Edited by demonufo
  • Like 1

Update: it was just a wheel bearing. The one that I thought was "recent-ish" had actually done about 60,000 miles and had failed drastically. One of the ball bearings had sheared in half! I know exactly which pot-hole I was driving over when that happened. Much quieter now.

I asked the garage about the front shocks and they said they are a bit soft but not outrageously, so I'll leave them alone for now.

Having replaced my vRS all round with genuine stock springs and shocks, it still isn't great. Harsh and yet compresses easily and still very bouncy. Granted mine is an Estate that spends most of its life with a lot of gear in the boot...

• Like 1