Tappy engine

Hi

My Octavia has become a bit tappy from the engine any ideas what could cause it ? The car is well serviced tdi 110 bhp, I am using good fully synth oil which is nt low, i have been towing a bit recently so more use on the engine

My car is a 2002 tdi with 147k miles .

Having had some older diesels i would suspect injectors, as they have been known to make noise when either partially blocked or... when the seals are drawing in air around the edges... However this may not be the same on this engine/ Anyone else, correct me?

May be worth a look,

these engine are pretty bullet proof... if as you have said, its been looked after...

hth

Paddy

Injectors:

The only way I know how to diagnose (roughly) injectors is to run each injector in to a open bottle with a mark on the side... car will run like poo on three cylinders but do one at a time if they are all about the same i would say they are okay.  If one is way down, i would say its either partially blocked or on its way out...

Engine:

Again red neck style get a GURT screw driver, run the engine, and stick the end on the cam cover and other various parts and put your ear to the end... If you can hear the tapping through the screwdriver then it may be some sinister.

Cheers

I had the exhaust centre mount rust through which made a sort of jangly noise. Also a duff alternator pulley killed the aux belt tensioner which made a noise on idle and when the revs dropped, which was a tappy type noise on idle but a rather odd whiney type noise when the revs dropped.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I drove my car home today and was just in the car with it idling and noticed that with the clutch pushed down the tapping noise starts, once the pedal is released the noise goes away ! Also my wife commented this morning the noise was coming from the passenger side.

I said the noise has started while towing could the flywheel be going ? I have been considering is it time to change the clutch and flywheel and i will change to a non dmf flywheel, As i plan on towing more !