Uneven pad wear

DMilsey

Hi all,

I have had my fabia Monte Carlo 1.2 TSi (105) for around 18 months and it's done 11k.

I've noticed recently the brake pedal has felt strange so I checked the pads and there's plenty of meat left but the top 1/3 is much bigger than the bottom 2/3, has anyone had anything similar?

Advise would be much obliged ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you brake discs often coated with surface rust before the start of a journey.

Anyway how close did you look, were the wheels off,?

,maybe take a picture of them because it easy to be deceived by pads when visually inspecting.

Anyway if in doubt get them looked at,

but pads do wear, either drivers braking style or surfaces corrosion decides how soon.

george

These were at 4,000 miles and looked like you describe when i was asked to checked them,

are were just normal when i took the pads out.

Just very worn for the mileage covered due to being very rusty every time the car gets driven.

& Discs scored quite badly.

Been told that I will need new pads and discs at 44K (ish). I`m still on my first set of pads.

Not bad mileage really for a set of pads. Discs too really, just not good either. Go to Euro car parts and fit them yourself, will save you bundles.

Edited by mrgf

Only just seen the replys. I will take pics tomorrow. My cars in constant use so don't think they have been used when discs have gone rusty.

The pedal also feels odd of late the pedal has normal biting point but doesn't seem to really bite untill I stamp on them.

PS I've never been heavy on brakes. Think I've changed 1 set in 5 years.

If the pad is thicker at the top than the bottom, it could be that one of the pistons inside the calliper is stuck in the out position causing the pad to bind onto the disc.

This would mean one part of the pad would wear unevenly and could explain why the brake pedal feels different.

You would need to remove the calliper and the pads and see where the pistons are sitting if they're not sitting level with each other then you have the answer.

Could be that the pads are sticking in the sliders so they don't touch the disc evenly. I've had that on the backs before.Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yes, there's generally 2 pistons in each calliper that push the pads onto the discs but if one sticks then the pad doesn't sit flat on the disc causing the uneven wear.

Yes, there's generally 2 pistons in each calliper that push the pads onto the discs but if one sticks then the pad doesn't sit flat on the disc causing the uneven wear.

I've had that, where say the outer pad wears more than inner. But what I was saying is that the pad sticks in the slider and pivots onto the disc. You may see corrosion if the pad touches the disc close to the hub but not further out. Alternatively it could be sticking on one slider so that the bottom of the pad touches but the top doesn't.

I thought most standard fit callipers are single piston.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Not too sure, had bikes for a few years and they always had four piston calipers, two front and two rear, just thought cars would have the same set up.

You may be right about them sticking on the sliders then.

Here's a pic of my pad. It's hard to get a decent pic but that's the best I could get.

Posted Image

I don't think it's a piston because of how they have worn it's thinker on the right than the left and it's the same on both sides.

This doesn't look that bad to me - old pads never come out completely symetrical in my experience.  Did you have someone press the brake pedal to see what the contact was like or just take the pic as they with the hand brake on?

The pic doesn't show but the edge where it has worn more is not in contact with the disc.

If the pad isn't coming in complete contact then you would see corrosion on part of the disc. Typically it would be round the outer part of the disc if the pad is sticking in the slider.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk