Columbus screen only just visible.

SlobbyK

My 2009 Superb has been laid up for 7 weeks because I've been laid up for 7 weeks ( broken bones!!) and now have a Columbus fault..

I started her up for the first time yesterday and noticed the 'off' screen that just shows the time was very faint, I switched the Columbus on and I could just make out that the screen did show whatever screen detail I switched to and all the features worked.

When reverse was engaged the reversing screen with the car picture appeared at full brightness but when progressing normally it faded back as before.

I stopped and tried reverse again but this time the screen didn't illuminate correctly.

I drove to an underground car park so that I could see the screen better in the reduced light. I played about with all the car light settings and the Columbus settings initially to no avail. However after 15 mins or so (whilst trying different settings unrelated to display settings or anything) the screen brightened up to normal brightness and continued to work fine for the rest of the day.

Anyway, today, I'm back to the duff screen. I've just tried playing a DVD but can't see anything, the sound is ok as it is for radio and sat nav.

I searched for this here and found one topic relating to a Bolero unit but as it finally worked there was no follow up only a comment that there may be a software update to resolve it so I've posted my unit's details below. Any help appreciated.

post-18617-13920502250505_thumb.jpg

post-18617-13920502566895_thumb.jpg

Cheers Robert.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk

Just s little update. Started up the car this morning and everything is fine, the screen was bright and clear. Did a bit of shopping and off in the car again, this time the screen is in viewable again. There founts seem to be any rhyme or reason for this intermittent fault. Anyone know of this fault on a Columbus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the screen on the columbus dim when dimming the dash lights on the Superb?

Could that be causing it?

It doesn't make a difference when dimmed (like now!) I've not tried it when it's working correctly.

Thanks.

Also, there is a small hole in the top right next to the microphone switch which is a light sensor - cover it and the screen should dim usually - this may have dirt/dust in it so give it a blow.

Thanks, I've just tried cleaning/wiping/covering what I think you meant as a sensor, not sure if you mean a sensor on the unit itself or ones above my head next to the mic but neither make a difference.

It's so random when it works or doesn't work.

One extra thing I've not mentioned is that I had a flat battery after the 7 week lay up and tried jump starting it with a spare fully charged leisure battery which didn't start it and then tried again successfully with the Fabia battery with engine running.

There was some horrible clicks and things when trying the jump start. Don't know if that is relevant.

Cheers and thanks.

Just realised that the normal swirly screen doesn't appear at start up when switching the unit on. I don't know if that means anything to anyone.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk