Spare wheel size

sory guys but i'am getting quite fustrated trying to find the answer,all i need to know is the correct size steel wheel to fit my new octavia elegance,keep finding different answers such as different ET size,I hold my hands up and made the stupid mistake of not getting a spare,so i have two choices space saver from ? OR steel wheel any help would be appreciated.thanks

Ahh.  I thought I could help as I sorted myself a full size spare wheel for my vRS as I didn't want a space saver...but not sure on the other models.  I'l tell you what I know though.

the wheel needs to be 5 bolt and 112mm pcd.  it needs a 57.1mm centre bore.  for the vRS it needs an ofset of ET51 for the standard 7.5J wide rims, and the vRS needs at least 17" rims to fit over the front brakes, the standard is 18".  the Elegance etc can get away with 16".  you can fit narrower rims, 7J say...in fact the Elegance may have narrower, that I don't know.

I got a good condition Seat Leon FR alloy from ebay for £65 delivered from ebay.

try here for finding cars with the rims you need http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Skoda/Octavia%20(2013%20-%20)/  basically its going to be another vag group car and nothing older than about a mk5 golf or mk2 leon as the older cars had 100pcd it seems

I hope that helps

Have you checked the dealer price?

When I got my Greenline Superb I had to order it from the parts department because it is not an option when you order the car.

I think it was around £140 which was a full size steel wheel, tyre and jack kit.

It would be worth checking.

sory guys but i'am getting quite fustrated trying to find the answer,all i need to know is the correct size steel wheel to fit my new octavia elegance,keep finding different answers such as different ET size,I hold my hands up and made the stupid mistake of not getting a spare,so i have two choices space saver from ? OR steel wheel any help would be appreciated.thanks

Personally id just go and order the factory space saver through your local Skoda dealer

You wouldnt want to be tooling around on a spare regardless of size as it'll only ever be hand tight (unless you happen to carry a torque wrench around with you and know the correct torque settings for wheel bolts on one of these cars).

It'll get you around v short term until you resolve the issue, it'll fit the car properly and most importantly will fit under the boot floor. Also the OEM spare will come with the toolkit.

Bit of an expensive lessons learned perhaps as dealers charge not gar shy of £200 for the spare and tool kit whilst its a £100 or so factory option new.

Fairly sure the spare wheel is actually a 205/55 r16 so not exactly what id call a space saver. Whilst its still recommended to drive at 50mph (they have to say that to cover their asses) you'd be able to drive at 60-70mph on one all day long quite safely providing the bolts are done up tightly.

• Like 1

the full size wheel fits in the boot well, or at least it does in the vRS and I can't see the others being different.

torque wench to do up a wheel bolt? each to their own but, I've never had a tyre place torque up a wheel to a particular setting, and after checking I normally find they don't do it much more than finger tight (which will lead to you loosing bolts).  I always do up botls 'as tight as you can' with a short brace and never done damage or had a botl loosen.  I carry a piece of pipe to lengthen the brace/increase leverage to ensure I can always undo them...even if I'm feeling weak that day.

Fairly sure the spare wheel is actually a 205/55 r16 so not exactly what id call a space saver. Whilst its still recommended to drive at 50mph (they have to say that to cover their asses) you'd be able to drive at 60-70mph on one all day long quite safely providing the bolts are done up tightly.

The 50mph speed limit is applied to make the fitment of a different sized wheel and tyre legal. It is against the law to fit tyres with different size markings to opposite ends of an axle unless one of them is designated for temporary use only. Although that tyre may be a "standard" tyre, in law there is no difference between it and a special "skinny" spare tyre (because they are both different in size to that fitted to the vehicle normally). The wheel to which the temporary use tyre is fitted must be different or a different colour to the other wheels on the car, and be clearly marked for temporary use only and maximum speed 50mph. Exceeding 50mph with a temporary use tyre fitted to a vehicle carries the risk of prosecution.

the full size wheel fits in the boot well, or at least it does in the vRS and I can't see the others being different.

torque wench to do up a wheel bolt? each to their own but, I've never had a tyre place torque up a wheel to a particular setting, and after checking I normally find they don't do it much more than finger tight (which will lead to you loosing bolts).  I always do up botls 'as tight as you can' with a short brace and never done damage or had a botl loosen.  I carry a piece of pipe to lengthen the brace/increase leverage to ensure I can always undo them...even if I'm feeling weak that day.

The tyre shops I use have pneumatic guns which are torque set. I always check both tyre pressures and wheel bolt torque after a visit to a garage, both are invariably wrong!

Always good practice to torque critical components to the correct torque, over tightening can be as dangerous as hand tight. I do actually carry a Britool torque wrench in the car...

Edited by Timoctav