New Octavia Estate vRS 2.0 TDI DSG Ordered!

OK, car ordered (for the better half)!!!

Brief history of how we got here... Basically a name and shame of the dealer experiences! Hopefully anyone in the South can use it to good effect.

I started by looking at brokers, I got 14% discount on a cash deal from carfile, but with PCP there isn't much more to be had than 5-6%.
If you don't want to haggle, then get a bank loan for 5 years and take the 14% deal - the monthly payments are basically the same as a 42 month PCP, and you can of course just pay the loan off at 3-4 years and change the car as if it was PCP anyway, or just keep paying it and the car is yours at the end of the term.

I then set out looking to see if any local dealers could match/beat the PCP offers from the brokers (and also took test drives and asked a few questions etc as you would when buying a new car)...

We first went to Westover Skoda, Bournemouth...
It was rejected initially based on the guy seemingly not wanting to sell a car to us on the day we popped in (although he did let us test drive a vRS TDI manual), regardless, the attitude problem pushed us to the next dealer...

Heritage Skoda, Yeovil...
Their sales service was very good, and they gave me test drives and answered all my questions. We got stuck after a week or so of negotiations when it became clear they were not going to reach the discount I wanted. If they had just gone a little further the business would have been theres - shame really as I really wanted to buy from them.
When we got stuck in negotiations I returned to Westover via email with a basic proposition of - I'm going to buy the car, do you want the business (I also mentioned the poor experience we had a few weekend before)? I was also armed with quotes pretty close to what I wanted, so made a fair proposal and asked them to meet it. They basically messed me about with made up numbers and questionable discounts (not discounting the VAT or options!) - eventually when I called them out on this they did come up with a competitive offer (with the usual 'We don't normally do this, but I've spoken with our Sales Manager...'  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: ).
I PM'd one of the guys here that has been waiting ages for their Octavia ordered via Westover asking for a bit of advice and they recommended a 3rd dealer fairly nearby...

Meadens Skoda, Sway
Now if you read the dealer reviews here on the forum it's clear these guys are good... (wish I'd looked there in the first place!)
So I emailed with the exact same email I sent to Westover. They emailed back in 2 hours saying they are working on it, and another hour after they I had a first offer basically equal to the one I had to fight for at Westover (and we shared a couple of fun/banter emails along the way as well!). If you are in the South and want a Skoda, use them! I was dealing with Tom Sexton, and have subsequently seen his name here in the forums with a similar story singing his praises.

The offer I have basically equates to 6% discount (so aim for this if you are going for PCP, given 2 dealerships got to the exact same level of discount and its the best the brokers will offer, I don't think you'll get much more). Tom did suggest that if not for using the PCP he could have gone further (as the broker offer also suggests). He basically said that both the 0% and 2.9% deals involve Skoda taking a cut of the dealers margin which I can believe as they are both great offers.

So, the car spec is as follows;
Octavia Estate vRS 2.0 TDI 184 PS DSG
Metallic Rallye Green with Black design package (her choice, somehow she got to choose the colour of my car too, she's always wanted a white car, so mine is white, of course we go to buy hers and I get "Well you have a white car now, so I can't have that colour"  :wall: )
In all honesty I'm quite happy with the green, it looks great in the Sun and is kinda cool to be different!

Extras...
19" Xtreme alloy wheels (225/35 R19 88Y)
vRS leather seats (front heated)
Columbus sat nav with European maps and colour Maxi dot
Canton sound system (10 speakers, digital equaliser, subwoofer)
KESSY (keyless entry/start)
Heated windscreen and Heated washer nozzles
Sunset glass from B pillar back
Temporary space saver spare wheel
Simply Clever Pack (media holder, waste bin and double sided floor boot floor covering)
Crew Protection Assistant inc. Rear side airbags
Parking assistant (parallel, bay and manoeuvring out of a line of cars)
Bluetooth+ (wireless aerial connection)
Cruise control system
High beam assistant
Trunk lid power closing

Only thing now is the wait - 20+ weeks! Oh well - I managed 16 weeks waiting for my Audi SQ5, it's not that much longer!

Thanks for the help I've received so far on this forum in helping me make the decision to go with this great car/spec and I look forward to being able to repay that in a few months once she arrives!

Edited by JoseDB
  • Like 2

Awesome spec.

You ordered all that but missed out the panoramic sunroof???  :think:

Thanks!

It's stretching the budget as it is, thats the one item I missed as it is pretty expensive and I prefer a gadget TBH.

It's the one thing I missed off my SQ5 as well - but that was more to do with not wanting an extra 50kg in the roof in an already stupidly powerful top heavy car!

I have a Toyota MR2 to enjoy open top motoring so I don't really miss it...

I guess it would be nice to have the light airy cabin, but I kinda like the dark interior to allow you to focus on the outside more (that's my logic anyway!).

Thanks Matt - proper excited - need to try and forget about it or I'll go nuts!

It'll be a long old wait for sure. Does give you a double dose of excitement though, you get a shot of it now you've ordered, and when you (eventually) reach the stage I'm getting to where the car is only a few weeks from build, it'll all set in again. 

Congratulations, that's a "proper" spec you have ordered! I'll look out for a distinctive green vRS in the New Forest when I'm out and about - I'm sure it will look stunning.

Meadens in Sway is only a few miles from me but ended up ordering my Octavia from Sparshatts in Botley, who also have been very good. Maybe I'll give Meadens a crack next time round.

Edited by Timoctav

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well after much too'ing and fro'ing I have finally got confirmed that Electric Seats, Heated/Folding Mirrors and Cornering Fogs are added to my order...

The cost, well that wasn't pretty, ended up paying MY15 prices (minus my previously agreed percentage discount), so it added about £1100 to the order :/

But as my Wife and I will be sharing it, the electric memory will be key feature.

I did manage to keep the 2.9% APR finance though. All in all it only adds £30pcm to the PCP so it's not too bad.

I do hope the salesman lubed up first :sweat: and £30 a month for 42 months is £1,260 not about £1,100 However, itsnot my car, deal or money its just an IMHO

2.9% over 42 months imho

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Edited by gt40

It's rough numbers, as the finance is protected he can't go into the system and re-quote it as it would be at the new 6.9% APR. Once the car arrives they will contact VWFS and adjust it manually, so £30 is the worst case based on rough mental arithmetic. As you suggest, I expect it will be more like £27, but honestly I'm not going to quibble over £3pcm on a £34k car!

It's rough numbers, as the finance is protected he can't go into the system and re-quote it as it would be at the new 6.9% APR. Once the car arrives they will contact VWFS and adjust it manually, so £30 is the worst case based on rough mental arithmetic. As you suggest, I expect it will be more like £27, but honestly I'm not going to quibble over £3pcm on a £34k car!

No the finance man can ring VWFS and ask for the finance quote to be opened, only VWFS only allow it to be reopened for a short time (5-10 min) so new figures can be entered and a new quote generated etc, then it is closed down, and protected, its not something VWFS like doing as that short period of time when they open it allows that deal to be seen as open on the system by other dealers and there is nothing to stop them from entering a new order or something at the same time to achieve that deal.

I didn't realise that leccy seats etc were options, are they new options, if not, then you are a very lucky person! :-)

Hmmm Let me know when your 42 months are up, I'm sure I can offer you more than the GFV especially, if your even gone to the extreme of fitting options that weren't available at order date.

No the finance man can ring VWFS and ask for the finance quote to be opened, only VWFS only allow it to be reopened for a short time (5-10 min) so new figures can be entered and a new quote generated etc, then it is closed down, and protected, its not something VWFS like doing as that short period of time when they open it allows that deal to be seen as open on the system by other dealers and there is nothing to stop them from entering a new order or something at the same time to achieve that deal.

I didn't realise that leccy seats etc were options, are they new options, if not, then you are a very lucky person! :-)

Ah OK - that's why they want to do it when the car arrives as then, it will be done once and only once.

They are new for MY15 - them not being an option and the lack of ACC was really annoying me. There is quite a height difference between my Wife and I, and having ACC on my Audi I REALLY like it for long journeys. It's most frustrating that ACC is possible but Skoda UK won't offer it - if they did it would be IMO a perfect practicality car (on the basis I have a proper sports car on the drive too).

Hmmm Let me know when your 42 months are up, I'm sure I can offer you more than the GFV especially, if your even gone to the extreme of fitting options that weren't available at order date.

This will be the first place it goes up on when the time comes!

This will be the first place it goes up on when the time comes!

I suspect the ACC equipped cars will be the most desirable.

I suspect the ACC equipped cars will be the most desirable.

I agree - I fought hard to get them to add it - I may still retrofit it if I can do it for under £1000...

• 1 month later...

So I had week 29 for the last few weeks, and now, with 1 week before build, it's completely lost it's build week!!

Dealer has contacted Skoda UK who said they have a generic note about 19" wheels and power tailgate supply issues so maybe that is it. The factory is apparently going to sort out allocation by next Tuesday so have to wait until then...

Annoyed is an understatement right now, I don't mind waiting, but when you have it whipped out from under you so close it's not on! I hope they sort it on Tuesday with a build week VERY soon after. Will report back.

• Like 1

So I had week 29 for the last few weeks, and now, with 1 week before build, it's completely lost it's build week!!

Dealer has contacted Skoda UK who said they have a generic note about 19" wheels and power tailgate supply issues so maybe that is it. The factory is apparently going to sort out allocation by next Tuesday so have to wait until then...

Annoyed is an understatement right now, I don't mind waiting, but when you have it whipped out from under you so close it's not on! I hope they sort it on Tuesday with a build week VERY soon after. Will report back.

I'm bw29, or at least as far as i know. Order on 3rd of feb. Just sold my van tonight so now without any transport except bike. I was hoping for delivery end of july. Tried for a loan car and they wouldnt have it. Will be calling dealer tomorrow, if mines disapeared then my orders

Cancelled!!!! Got 9k deposit burning a hole now.

Dont have 19's or power boot.

Edited by allyst170