Leon ST FR 150 TDi or Elegance 150 TDi Estate

Hello

I have just test driven both cars and can't make up my mind. I know I have to do that myself but any thoughts would be welcome.

I found the Leon more attractive and a better drive. Would Sport suspension on the Octavia help? Is it the same sport suspension as the Vrs?

I preferred the interior of the Octavia and it was better equipped although it's so difficult to tell as one will have one item and the other will have another. I'm sure VW do that deliberately so no brand has all the advantages.

The Skoda has 0% but the Leon had a £1000 deposit contribution and a free tech pack (but the Octavia had most of the tech pack as standard!)

I have never used PCP but dealer said about 90% of customers do. It seems a "no brainer" to do it if you can't buy for cash but are there any big drawbacks?

Thanks all

Octavia is more commodious, also the lighter of the two so probably has slightly stronger straight line performance; has torsion beam rear axle not that IMHO it actually makes that greater a difference in a car like this.

The seat is a bit more sporty, funkier looking and still well equipped but if its anything to go by my past experiences it will feel lower rent than the Octavia; not that the Octavia is quite Golf 7 class quality inside or out but would suggest its still better than the Seat.

Both are similarly priced.

Id suggest if you were having difficulty choosing between them then go with the Octy and just have the bigger car.

Edited by pipsyp

Was the Seat on 17" or 18" wheels? Most of the Seat demos are fitted with option wheels. This may explain difference in handling. Does ST have torsion beam suspension like 150 ps FR hatch?

I don't have the ST Leon, but have the following observations:

I prefer driving with LED headlights at night compared to Xenons.

Whilst a lot of the dash switch gear is the same, the Skoda feels more solidly put together - the Seat has loads of rattles in the door cards, A pillars and air vents - all due to be looked at.

Overall pleased with both cars - as you have found slightly different characteristics.

Edited by Black_Sheep

Thanks very much I thought some Octavia's had more sophisticated suspension than the cheaper models I think I read that someone?

Models with more than 150 ps (ie. VRS and 184 ps FR) have multi-link suspension. Seat is introducing the dynamic adjustable suspension as an option soon.

Edited by Black_Sheep

Models with more than 150 ps (ie. VRS and 184 ps FR) have multi-link suspension. Seat is introducing the dynamic adjustable suspension as an option soon.

Ah OK so Seat have the same standard suspension offerings as Skoda, i thought they were like VW and anything 150hp and above got independent rear suspension.

The Golf fairs even better the 1.4 TSi 140 and above get independent rear suspension.

Weirdly though the independent suspension seems to contribute to quite a weight increase over torsion beam cars.

Seat is introducing the dynamic adjustable suspension as an option soon.

Available to order from last month according to the dealer.

As said I think both have pros and cons. Simply put, the Octavia is bigger with very slightly better cabin plastics in a couple of places. Id also rather have the backup of skda dealer than a Seat dealer. However, if I was choosing for myself I'd probably now swing to the Seat camp as I preferred the suspension setup - more damping feel and more nimble in corners - and it just felt more polished/accomplished when pushing on. I like the fact you can specify the DCC and led headlamps as well as a couple of other bits of kit from VW/Audi that you simply can't have on the octy. I also prefer the styling of the Leon ST (in the right colour). There's also some stonking deals on the FR ST even though its pretty new - £3500+ off is what I've seen so far. :)

Ah OK so Seat have the same standard suspension offerings as Skoda, i thought they were like VW and anything 150hp and above got independent rear suspension.

The Golf fairs even better the 1.4 TSi 140 and above get independent rear suspension.

Weirdly though the independent suspension seems to contribute to quite a weight increase over torsion beam cars.

I thought that too. However when I swapped winter tyres onto Seat it looked like a torsion beam set up to me.

I thought that too. However when I swapped winter tyres onto Seat it looked like a torsion beam set up to me.

its torsion on both the 1.4's - seat and Skoda. Seat gets independent on the 150td :)

http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovation-and-technology/technical-glossary/verbundlenker-hinterachse.html

Link above describes different types of suspension - as described 150 tdi FR appears to have torsion beam set up, but is still perfectly compliant for road use. Link also good for those that aren't that great with techno jargon.

According to Seat the 150FR doesn't have a rear suspension.

"Semi-rigid rear axle with coil springs and hydraulic dampers (engines 140PS and below) / Multi-link rear axle with coil springs and hydraulic dampers (engines 180PS and above);"

So what happens to the 140 - 180PS engines?

I've driven the Golf Mk7 GT, Leon FR and Octavia TDI 150.

Both the Golf and the Leon handle better than the Octavia (I'm sure the 150FR Leon doesn't have torsion beam).  You can tell the difference and it's all down to the rear suspension mechanics.

I wanted the Golf but with the options I wanted it was way too much.

The Leon was the least appealing of the 3 especially inside, it just didn't have the others quality feel to anything.

Went for the Octavia, it's the best all rounder.

its torsion on both the 1.4's - seat and Skoda. Seat gets independent on the 150td :)

150 FR gets semi rigid (ie. torsion beam) set up. 180 ps petrol and 184 ps diesel get multi-link.