NEW PURCHASE - SKODA YETI OUTDOOR 170 4x4 - manual or DSG

mawosola

My wife & I tolerate her Fabia VRS DSG box...you get used to it & can drive around the issues..dropping into sport mode as you approach roundabouts & knocking it into neutral as you come to a halt to avoid it pulling against the brakes.

I will say, it's great in town...but I'd have to be doing 90% town work to consider a DSG box over a manual.

If we'd had an option on the Fabia VRS I'd have paid £750 more to have a manual.

I would suspect that brake wear on DSG equipped cars would be 30-40% higher.

If you like to drive your car rather than be a passenger in it (whilst still in the driving seat) a DSG is a no go.

If you just want to get from A to B with the least possible effort & don't mind getting caught with your pants down or looking like a joy rider (the 2 sides of the DSG's bi-polar disorder), then buy a DSG. :hi:

• Like 1

I had an Octy with the DSG and I never really got to love it. Changing up was great, kick down was great, but if you left it in Auto it wasn't very smooth as you slowed to a stop :( However, if I was buying a Yeti and was going to be using it in deep snow or something similar, then I may well go for the DSG. Pulling away in a manual in 'heavy going' situations sometimes requires a load of revs and a gentle clutch, just to get moving. My Sedici was great in the white stuff, but I winced when manoeuvring in deep snow, something an auto would help mask :)   (not my wincing, that's obvious for all to see when it happens :D )

I believe the higher powered version with the 6 speed box have a lower first gear to help.

Personally I've done plenty of towing in my 170 CR 4x4 manual with a trailer weight usually around 1800kg and it pulls away smoothly with no problem.

You don't need load of revs.  Just let the clutch bite, the torque gets it rolling.

No need to go revving it.  This is why I much prefer the diesel for towing.

If you like to drive your car rather than be a passenger in it (whilst still in the driving seat) a DSG is a no go.

Each to his own - and it really is a personal preference thing - but I really couldn't disagree more!

I'm not saying someone else is wrong - some people like Marmite, some don't...

I found the DSG took a wee bit of getting used to, but once I was - wow - it was amazing and left me to think about things other than gearing (90% of the time).

(Great in town, long queues on motorways, can change gear quicker than you(!), probably changes gear more optimally than you for fuel economy, etc!)

I think the best advice on here is to try one, see if your dealer will give you a loan of one for an afternoon or something; personally I love 'em.

I found the DSG took a wee bit of getting used to, but once I was - wow - it was amazing and left me to think about things other than gearing (90% of the time).

I never think about gearing.

It's instinctive.

I believe the higher powered version with the 6 speed box have a lower first gear to help.

Personally I've done plenty of towing in my 170 CR 4x4 manual with a trailer weight usually around 1800kg and it pulls away smoothly with no problem.

You don't need load of revs.  Just let the clutch bite, the torque gets it rolling.

No need to go revving it.  This is why I much prefer the diesel for towing.

My Sedici was a dog in deep snow, not enough torque at very low revs. Unless you rocked to start off, the car would not budge. I am talking about manoeuvring not just pulling off in a straight line.  My Grand Vitara (petrol) is a lot easier in proper deep stuff, but it does have a transfer box :)

Hello All,

I had a long test drive of a 140 BHP Elegance DSG today and it was a trouble free drive. The DSG perform well, some hesitancy at takeoff but nothing to write home about. Roundabout driving went well. The accelerator and breaks controlled the gear change perfectly  (I drove in D most of the time) and the car drove well. There was some vibrations at standstill with the gear in D but shifting into N eliminates this noise. The gear change worked well in all road conditions, uphill and down, and reversing. I think I will give the 170 BHP DSG a go and well, time will tell. I need a break from manual. Next step is to find a discount new 170 BHP Elegance Outdoor. Wish me luck.

Good luck with your search.  I'm sure you will never regret going down the DSG path.

In the end I decided and settled on a manual. It was cheaper to buy (the L&K 170), cheaper to run than the DSG, and well the DSG uncertainty was killing me. I am experienced with manual and DSG is a strange territory. I will wait another 5 years and a bit older then I will look at whatever auto is in fashion then!

I am Superb owner looking seriously at the Yeti 170CR 4x4 DSG Elegance+++ - would not have any other.

Did not notice anyone mentioning this but the DSG requires an oil and filter change every 40K miles.

I have a maintenance plan on current Superb so it was covered but when I phoned to book I was told it was not covered by a service plan. You may want this clarified, although sure that forum will help.

Previous 170CR DSG Superb was a delight to drive, although it did take a while to get to normal operating temp making it hang onto gears until warm,

HTH

You can definitely order a 170PS DSG 4x4 - It is what we have waiting for us at our dealer for collection on Saturday. It only comes on Elegance in that combo for reasons I cannot fathom you can't have that on the L&K model.

We drove manual & DSG on test drives - the manual immediately struck me as inappropriate for a Yeti - it works well on a hot-hatch where you really want to "drive" the car, but the Yeti - for us at least, makes more sense with the DSG.

The other thing that struck me - the manual had a LOT of vibration coming through the clutch pedal. This is common to a lot of diesels I have driven and one of the main reasons why I have always bought petrol cars before. The DSG is silky smooth.