Terraclean Worthwhile?

keithw

Hello

I've posted this question in the Octavia Mk1 section but the question is of course relevant to

any Skoda with a Tdi engine.

Please advise if you have used Terraclean & what benefit did you get?  Was Terraclean a

worthwhile expense compared with say Forte Diesel Treatment?  (We use Forte a month or

so prior to MOT, so far so effective).

Regards

Keith

• Like 1

Seen mixed reviews but never tried it as my emissions are OK?

Why do you use it on your diesel?

Hello Liverpool-Lad

Thank you for the reply.  I use Forte Diesel Treatment to avoid any "gumming" up on the turbo which of

course prevents full power & effectively turns the Tdi into a Sdi, also Forte avoids costly turbo removal, replacement or refurbishment of the turbo.

The local taxi drivers use Forte on a regular basis, of course they do a lot of town work & never really get to really drive their Tdi's

Interesting my 130 now 160 bhp Elegance with 133k miles has never "gummed" up its turbo. 

My wife's 110 now 130 bhp Elegance with 75k miles does have a tendancy to "gum" up its turbo, 

Forte clears it.

Both cars have a Tunnit mild power upgrade giving certainly extra torque.  And, so far have always passed MOT's without any problems.

Regards

Keith

Edited by keithw

It either gets glowing reviews or a meh, it's ok. I imagine it just depends on how dirty your internals are TBH.

Hello Nerd

Thank you for the reply.  Your findings are the same as mine, I guess this best way to find out is to

spend £100 & get my wife's Elegance Terracleaned.  (More info in my reply to Liverpool-Lad).

Regards

Keith

Edited by keithw

Be sure to tell the company who's doing it that you're testing it on this car- if the results are good then the other's getting done- should wangle you some discount

Also... mention you'll be putting the results up on Briskoda, so if it is good they might be getting extra business out of here....

thus might get a members discount into the future... (or a comission your way ;)   )

I have never used Terraclean, or diesel additives for that matter, just because Edd China endorses it doesn't convince me.

Does your car run rough, or make smoke, are the emissions high?  If the answer is no just use good fuel and drive the car, it will be fine.

My Yeti has done 111,000 miles in 30 months, never been Terracleaned or such things, just been driven, no issues whatsoever.

I would save your money

The thing is old cars USE carbon deposits to fill up small gaps in seals etc etc. Once you remove all that carbon on seals you open up yourself to a world of pain in some cases.

If its a diesel then ring its ****ing neck! that'll clear it out. that DPF needs to be HOT! to function properly 

With the 1.8T's the hotter the turbo the better (Remember to cool it down afterward) carbon cannot stick well to a cherry red turbo..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My wife's Octavia 1.9TDi 110bhp Elegance had the Terraclean treatment today at

Westgate Tyres Morecambe LA3 3DD 01524 840044.

I'll report on Terraclean after a few 100 miles of driving.

The purpose of Terracleaning the car was to avoid the turbo vanes sticking

causing power loss & the engine management light coming on. When this happens

at least the Skoda is still drivable, albeit as an SDi!!

Cheers

Keith

The thing is old cars USE carbon deposits to fill up small gaps in seals etc etc. Once you remove all that carbon on seals you open up yourself to a world of pain in some cases.

If its a diesel then ring its ****ing neck! that'll clear it out. that DPF needs to be HOT! to function properly 

With the 1.8T's the hotter the turbo the better (Remember to cool it down afterward) carbon cannot stick well to a cherry red turbo..

Not wrong there... my mother in law's A1 diesel tripped into limd mode several times in 1st 12 months she owned from new, due to the DPF malfunctioning. it was 90% town driving in that 12months, and was driven as expected by its 1 careful lady owner... low revs, and never thrashed, to break it in nicely... ****ing backfired really, given the world of **** it caused...

Not wrong there... my mother in law's A1 diesel tripped into limd mode several times in 1st 12 months she owned from new, due to the DPF malfunctioning. it was 90% town driving in that 12months, and was driven as expected by its 1 careful lady owner... low revs, and never thrashed, to break it in nicely... ******* backfired really, given the world of **** it caused...

My buddys Boring Bora was the same when he bought it

Got it out of Limp mode and took it for a "McRae" drive, the amount of soot was horrendous poor thing was coked up something awful, i soon resolved the issue and knocked off £500 frm the price saying "It needs a new DPF" 

Most problems with car's today can be solved with a heavy right foot.... 

• Like 2

the whole DPF thing really needs to be looked at by manufacturers though, as I know our road fleet at work is all fords -

Transits, focus cars and fiesta vans. quite a few of the lads with focuses (focii??? i dunno the plural :p )

have had cars garaged because of cars calving into limp mode... bad turbos and DPF limp modes main causes..

• 4 months later...

58 plate Octavia 2.0 tdi L&k 88,000

I used to do 20000 a year when I first purchased the car but changed job s about three year sago now doing only 6000 all small in town driving . So surprise to me when last year car under acceleration nearly always the same hill, went into limp mode, black smoke also at other times during acceleration. I read up on all the possible causes on this and other forums and didn't like what I saw with regard to cost of replacing turbo ,cleaning egr etc even started looking at purchasing a small petrol hatchback.

Then after reading the forums on terraclean thought what the hell give it a go so in January Used A1terra clean in Darlington ,man with a van to the door. Opted for both the fuel process and the chemical egr treatment as £20 discount total cost £160. Took 2 hrs no issues

Since then no matter how hard I've tried no smoke no limp mode . Success

Ps now give the car a reasonable run and regular Italian tune ups rather than driving like miss daisy all the time

My buddys Boring Bora was the same when he bought it

Got it out of Limp mode and took it for a "McRae" drive, the amount of soot was horrendous poor thing was coked up something awful, i soon resolved the issue and knocked off £500 frm the price saying "It needs a new DPF" 

Most problems with car's today can be solved with a heavy right foot.... 

the old 'italian tune up' works wonders!

good call!

• Like 1

You NEED to rag the diesel sometimes and I really do mean rag it mercilessly. Once the engine is warm find a good quiet A-road or something and Accelerate hard in 1st,2nd,3rd up to the speed limit multiple times. If there is a long hill you can hold high rpm up then even better. Sometimes this will trigger limp mode but I just shut it down and start it right back up.

I have the ASV 110 bhp engine also, it's a very strong block and I am not concerned that I will damage it doing this ONCE THE OIL IS WARM.

• 2 months later...

My wife's Octavia 1.9TDi 110bhp Elegance had the Terraclean treatment today at Westgate Tyres Morecambe LA3 3DD 01524 840044. I'll report on Terraclean after a few 100 miles of driving. The purpose of Terracleaning the car was to avoid the turbo vanes sticking causing power loss & the engine management light coming on. When this happens at least the Skoda is still drivable, albeit as an SDi!! Cheers Keith

@keithw - any update then?

• 1 month later...

I've had a Terraclean done and my turbo is still sick! The guy did say it would clean the turbo, but I may have mis heard him.

Anyone seen this or done it? any good results?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izvz18xgfA0

yep did it on my sons octi 1.9 the other day, i posted results in the octavia mark 1 section