jme808

My car is 3 years old in May.  I was thinking of trading in for a Greenline.

A 2011 (11) 1.6 TDi Scout with 45k on the clock - lots of extras, FSH etc.

I was expecting around £6,000 as a trade in - I was offered more like £5,000 over the phone depending on condition (and with the scuffs I've picked up, probably under that).

I'll be hanging on to it I think...  I was pretty suprised as I see these advertised for up to £9,000 at that age (although with less mileage).

They are sales people buy cheap and sell for more.

Have your car looking the best and go get it appraised and see what they want to pay you for it considering what they want to sell you.

Anyone has to be crazy to give a high price over the phone, 

You would think a Good Salesperson would be trying to encourage you along to do their Sales Patter & try to get your business.

ie,

lets have a look and see what deal we can get you!

It is a game so go play them and see what you can get.

Lets go inside.

Lets get some details.

Would you like a Coffee, 

Lets me go look at your car.

You have a look at the Greenline.   sit in it.

Any Holidays organised this year.

Well that is what it will cost you to change.

Can you sign today?

I will see what i can do with he manager.

Thats the Best we can do.

Can you sign today.

At that point , say 'you have my number, thanks'. get up and walk away.

Do not look back, just abrupt, up and away.

(remember he might still have your car keys, so be sure he has not and you do. )

• Like 3

I used parkers and a few other web free valuation sites - they thought what I was expecting.  Might call around a few other dealers to see what they think - with the scuffs to the wheels and rear bumper I think I'll just keep it until it's done.  The chap I spoke to at Platinum Bath said it was a mix of the new range coming in, and that they have it in Glasses at £7,500 for thier forecourt.

'Asking Prices' mean nothing.

Almost everyone thinks they can get £500 off, so the first thing is the Asking Price is at least £500 high.

Nobody really shows how cheap they might go, or what the deal can be.

'Fixed Price Houses for sale are not even fixed really,)

You are wasting your time phoning. IMO.

This is the biggest Sales day in the Showrooms and tomorrow,  they want sales before March,

& they want cars shifted.

They should be busy really busy, with people there in person.

Call in, in person with your clean and vacuumed car. call in on a Tues, Wed, Thur or Fri, they want to sell a car.

Mid morning maybe, when the place is at it quietest.

Some sales people are on a day off, the ones working want that sale.

They do not want to offer to buy a car over the phone.

You can get a better price if the Car you want is available now someplace,

or you want finance.

Their business is to make money 2, 3 or 4 times. With each Customer.

Somone made profit on selling you the Scout, they take it in now planning at least to get it shifted but with a profit,

and the biggest profit needs to be selling you the new car, then they want you taking Optional Extras. 

Paint protection, Interior Protection, Service Package, GAP, & best of all Finance.

Have fun.

george

Thanks George - useful stuff.  I'm used to buying cars at the other end of the scale / from auction so dealers are still a bit new to me.

I actually went to Bristol Blade South for a chat - they offered my £6,200 (which is about right with the faults on the car).  I didn't like the greenline too much though, although it was a good price.  From looking at other threads it's not that good on normal motorway driving in terms of MPG compared to the suggested 80mpg - so I think I'll hang on to my scout and see how many miles it'll do. 

Blades...(intake of breath).  I've a fairly poor opinion of them, following their treatment of me (looking to buy) and my wife (servicing our previous Superb).

They seemed to know a fair bit about the franchised they'd run for a while (SEAT in Bristol?), but almost disinterested in Skoda purchases.

Salesman was all "I'll see what I can find and get back to you".  He didn't until after I'd sold and bought another car (my current Monte).  Service department seemed to channel everything through Doreen on the front desk, who knew nothing about the car or servicing, so would be all blank looks when I or my wife had servicing queries.

Platinum at least tried to get my custom, but didn't have what I wanted in stock.

Convenience - you either have to buy what you want, without having the money from selling your ould car, or go without a car while you sell yours for more, then go to buy another.

In my past, I haven't had the option, so take the £500 hit (or whatever) for the conveninece of PX.