Should I buy one

I think he's just referring to the issues common with modern EU rule compliant Diesels, EGR/DPF regen etc etc etc. If you're not doing big mileage, the 'new' Diesels make less sense than the likes of the 1.9TDI ten years ago did.

yes,you have got it spot on.ive recently had a diesel focus cc.lovely car but engine totally **** as all modern diesels are.

Edited by richmitch

I will no longer buy diesel cars despite doing around 20K miles per year.  I had three in a row and everyone was trouble, with the DMF being the biggest headache.  Considering how much more expensive they are to buy and how much more expensive diesel is I just do not think the better mpg is a good enough reason to go diesel.  Saying tha I just can't bring myself to see the point of the Rapid.  Yes it is relatively cheap, but not enough so to justify the huge reduction in interior quality and design and driving dynamics from the very similar looking Octavia.  I think Skoda would have done better to have continued the Octy 2 along side the 3 as the entry level/bargain option, as it was a much better car than the Rapid.

I think Skoda would have done better to have continued the Octy 2 along side the 3 as the entry level/bargain option, as it was a much better car than the Rapid.

I think the reason they didn't do that is because the Octy2 was more expensive to build, and the Rapid is also lighter and more aerodynamic so is more able to reach the all-important emissions targets.

Personally I also think the Rapid looks a bit sharper than the Octy2.

Regarding the plastics, the lack of soft touch doesn't bother me... I've been driving a Fabia today which has a soft touch upper part to the dash, but I still think the Rapid has a nicer interior overall.

I can't see why people say anything re the plastic as VW is exact same and going on my past fabia was the same then.  If you apply a decent dressing to the dash and other plastics they come up great and are slightlymore scratch resistant.  I guess Seat, may be same plastics.  Not so sure with the Audi though

Scratch resistance is the key thing for me, I don't give a **** what it feels like to touch, I'm much more interested in it withstanding things like my young Niece(s) kicking the glove compartment to amuse themselves during a 3.5 hour drive, which the "rubbish" plastics in my Rapid handled superbly well, quick wipe clean and good as new  :thumbup:

She's only a toddler, it wasn't really a big deal... Had my 13 year old nephew done it though he'd have been given a stern telling off (and he possibly would have learnt some new naughty words) :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I will no longer buy diesel cars despite doing around 20K miles per year.  I had three in a row and everyone was trouble, with the DMF being the biggest headache.  Considering how much more expensive they are to buy and how much more expensive diesel is I just do not think the better mpg is a good enough reason to go diesel.  Saying tha I just can't bring myself to see the point of the Rapid.  Yes it is relatively cheap, but not enough so to justify the huge reduction in interior quality and design and driving dynamics from the very similar looking Octavia.  I think Skoda would have done better to have continued the Octy 2 along side the 3 as the entry level/bargain option, as it was a much better car than the Rapid.

yes i had the same diesel problems as you.I considered a fabia and a citigo but for the same money the size and drive of the rapid ticked my boxes