So what you been doing to your VRS lately?

Big Lee

N249/N112 removal.

I had previously removed the SAI system but after having some issues with boost lately during WOT I decided to remove the whole lot in hopes of curing the possible boost leak. The guides posted have confused me a bit so I thought it was harder than it was (not faulting the guides) but really, it's such an easy mod to do and I feel the car is much better during acceleration now and feels "quicker". I don't run a catch can so I just unplugged everything under the intake manifold, bought some 4mm vacuum hose and ran it straight from the top of the recirculation valve to the output underneath the intake manifold. I had some ready made resistors from the SAI delete so I put them in the now empty connectors. I will remove the hardlines probably and buy a catch can if I can't get the car sold quick enough.

I still have some issues with hesitation during WOT and I believe my MAP sensor to be faulty. But when I was to remove it the ****ing bolts snapped even though I soaked them with penetrating oil and being very cautious (thanks Skoda for choosing the worst quality screws) so as for now it's just hold in place with some steel wire. If anyone has snapped the MAP sensor bolts and fixed it more easily than buying a new SMIC I would be happy to know.

Monday car is booked for a timing belt change and after that it will be put up for sale. I have a genuine carbon fiber/Kevlar WRC spoiler which will be sold separately.

Just a few maintenance jobs is all I've been up to of late on the Estate. Replaced the spark plugs and all 4 coil packs after the engine through a wobbly. That seemed to cure that problem but it's booked in to a local garage as it hasn't been running quite right for a while. Changed the oil with some fresh Castrol Edge 5W-30 but the oil filter did not play ball. A socket set, filter wrench tool and all the strength I could muster was not enough to remove the stubborn blighter so the garage can have a go at that too. I do value my wrists. :D Other than that, it needs the handbrake cable tightening and hopefully that is all for the time being.

On a side note, the tax is edging ever closer to the £300 mark. £290 this year; robbery! 

Edited by Passeyfier

• 2 weeks later...

Funny I saw the other sensor yesterday when I had the intake manifold off the car. Thought it was something else and haven't seen there being mentioned that there is two. It was rusty so I didn't even dare to touch it.

On 2018-04-30 at 20:49, Passeyfier said:

Just a few maintenance jobs is all I've been up to of late on the Estate. Replaced the spark plugs and all 4 coil packs after the engine through a wobbly. That seemed to cure that problem but it's booked in to a local garage as it hasn't been running quite right for a while. Changed the oil with some fresh Castrol Edge 5W-30 but the oil filter did not play ball. A socket set, filter wrench tool and all the strength I could muster was not enough to remove the stubborn blighter so the garage can have a go at that too. I do value my wrists. :D Other than that, it needs the handbrake cable tightening and hopefully that is all for the time being.

On a side note, the tax is edging ever closer to the £300 mark. £290 this year; robbery! 

You already probably know this but still worth mentioning: put a light coating of oil on the rubber gasket and only hand tighten the filter. I'm amazed that some people think the filter will somehow break loose and you need 400Nm of torque on that ****** (not bashing on you Passeyfier). Same with wheel bolts. **** most workshops who rattle them down without correct torque.

Edited by Sissipaska

Haha, well funny you should mention that...I couldn't for the life of me get the old filter off! I had all the equipment, including the specific filter removal tool, socket set, the lot but that stubborn filter would not budge! I value my wrists so I took it to the garage and had it done along with a new handbrake cable. I'm just glad it's been sorted now, despite the additional costs. :) 

• 1 month later...
On 19-6-2018 at 22:29, Talbotsteve said:

Recently bought a full WRC kit for my 4x4, not looking forward to cutting out my mint rear arches......

20180611_121838.jpg

20180325_190449.jpg

I really really want a kit like this in the future! Ok, to be honest, I would prefer this without the WRC front bumper and somehow blended with the RS front bumper (like the rear. Lately a sprayer asked 4-5k for a full respray, 6k for a full respray in a different colour. That is without a body kit fitted! Woohhh

• 2 months later...

New timing belt kit, auxiliary belt. oil and filter, wishbone ball joints and tracking re-aligned. Arch liners out and clean up in the arches, brakes bled, oh, and topped up screen wash. Ready for MOT :thumbup: