Octavia 1.8TSI L&K DSG

Algst

I have owned my Octavia 1.8TSI  since new and it has only done just over 13000 miles, Just recently when starting from a standstill there is quite a judder from the gearbox when in first gear. Once the vehicle is moving everything runs quite smoothly. Is this a common or normal occurrence with the DSG gearbox or should I get the car looked at by the main dealer before the warranty runs out in September of this year

• 4 weeks later...

I reported this problem to my dealer and they checked it out. Apparently it was not the gearbox, but was the controller that decides which gear to be in. I was told that the part was not in stock and would have to be manufactured abroad. This was expected to take 6-8 weeks. My dealer rented me a car to use whilst I was waiting. However 6 days later I was told that the job was completed and I picked up the car. The invoice which luckily I didn't have to pay because the car is still under warranty was over £2000. At first the gear changes at start seemed ok, however since then the judder has occurred again on one or two occasions. Has anyone else experienced this? I understand that there was a problem with the oil in the gearbox but only in hot countries and England is considered not to be hot. Last summer I spent 4 weeks in Spain where the temperature was in the low 40's, but my garage didn't seem to even consider this.

Without wanting to sound thick but:-

" Does a DSG gearbox have a DMF? "

The 6 speed DSG on the Diesels certainly does, I don't know for sure about the 7 speed on the 1.8TSI.....I imagine it has one though.

• 2 weeks later...

My car is back at the dealers tomorrow so I will let you know the outcome. It has taken so long since the first repair because the dealer needs to provide me with a courtesy car and tomorrow is the first date they have one to spare - so they say.

My Octavia 7 speed DSG started with the clutch judder and jerky changes about six months ago, gradually developing until it became quite pronounced and unpleasant in traffic jams. I booked it into Alex Lawrie in Liverpool who acknowledged the problem without question or need for a test drive.  Initially they tried a software update but phoned to say it hadn't worked. The car was immediately booked in for a clutch pack replacement (at their request) and further software update 2 days later, again no questions asked and I got it back last week. The difference is incredible, the judder has gone and it is much smoother and responsive to drive. Its a shame you're so far from Liverpool because ALex Lawrie are aware of the issue and know how to sort it.

Edited by djj777

I got my car back yesterday after 3 days. They had replaced the clutch and had to fit some shims. I haven't driven it very far as yet but it does seem to have cured the problem. Apparently any problem with the car is reported to a central base and then it is decided how to carry out the repairs. There was no problem and apparently the cost for this second repair would be in the region of £800. All in all my car has cost Skoda in the region of £3200 and it still has only done 13000 miles.

I have to say that I was very pleased with the treatment I received at Progress Skoda at Northampton even down to them washing the car before handing it back to me