Yeti Candy / Moon White comparison

Nick P

WA034P6.jpg

Grabbed a quick comparison shot of our new Yeti next to a candy white one. I'm really pleased with moon white. A random couple came to look at it when I was grabbing the photo and were saying how much better it looked too.

• Like 4

It's definitely a colour that needs to be seen in daylight rather than under showroom light.

Had a Moon White Yeti next to a Candy White Citigo in the showroom and in unnatural light you couldn't really tell the difference, as soon as the cars were outside they are poles apart.

Candy white is on the left, Moon white is on the right. The difference was a lot easier to see on my phone screen than my laptop actually. But really, you just have to see it in real life. In the metal, in the overcast light we had today the difference was not subtle.

The mirrors are silver yes Bob.

Just got in from viewing a Moon White Yeti (in the sunlight) and although it was nice, it was not nice enough to tempt me into ordering Moon White (I always said I would never buy white or black again)

I've just looked at the photos on my 27", calibrated IPS monitor and the difference is quite obvious, unlike on my fairly average laptop screen.

The sun came out today and I could actually see the metallic in the paint on our Moon white. I now agree it does look different from Candy. I'm happy now.

• Like 1

Yay! :D

If I'm feeling well enough tomorrow morning I'm washing, treating with Iron-X, polishing and sealing. It's already filthy. I swear I don't remember white cars getting dirty this quick. That said I've not had one in 13 years.

Yay! :D

If I'm feeling well enough tomorrow morning I'm washing, treating with Iron-X, polishing and sealing. It's already filthy. I swear I don't remember white cars getting dirty this quick. That said I've not had one in 13 years.

I know, it's a nightmare. Washed it 3 times and each time had to wipe over it with fall out remover and Tardis. At least it means I know it's properly clean when i'm done.

Yep. Have to, especially on the back with it being so flat. Seeing the amount of tar spots in just a week amazes me. Never seen anything like it.  I dread to think what it will be like in the summer when tar starts melting on the roads. 

Agree. I would properly detail, seal and wax.

So the paintwork is sufficiently protected and also less likely to have tar spots stick. And if they do, they can be removed more easily as they're not bonded directly to the clearcoat.

At the moment I just go over the lower sides (under the rub strips) and the all the rear including the rear window with tar remover then just apply AG Super Resin over those areas. Eventually I will fully detail it an treat it to a sealant but just not had the time so resin polish is doing the protecting for the moment. May try gtechniq on it. Also need to seal the wheels as I'm concerned that the annapurna faces are just polished alloy.

Gave the Yeti a bit of TLC today. Washed with shampoo, re-washed with washing up liquid, iron-x'd, rinsed, dried and CG Blacklight applied. The Iron-X was well worth doing to get rid of the metal contamination from transportation. It didn't need claying afterwards.

Iron-X starting to do its thing....

You can see a clear horizontal line along the wing above which must have been covered with plastic in transit as there was no contamination there....

IMG_20140308_151826-resized.jpg

Plenty of contamination on the rear bumper...

IMG_20140308_151813-resized.jpg

After a quick coat of CG Blacklight...

IMG_20140308_165151-resized.jpg

IMG_20140308_165240-resized.jpg

IMG_20140308_165314-resized.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Guys for anyone who read this and thought that they fancy giving the car a spruce up, or topping up their detailing kit.

There is a group buy on at the moment I have organised with Obsession Wax.

I just thought I would give everyone a chance to see this, with the Spy not working whilst the site is being worked on, people might not know it was there

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/310837-obsession-wax-group-buy/#entry3718299

• 2 years later...

Wasn't sure where to ask my question concerning the colour of cars in general...and Yeti in particular and spotted this topic...with  apologies for slight drift - but it does mention white several times :-)

Essentially my thoughts are...

1. What's the easiest colour for a bodyshop to respray (after an accident or minor mishap damage) and get a GOOD (if not near perfect) colour match?  I seee contradicting views online regarding flat white versus metallics of varying hues (including metallic white) versus black versus red etc.  We know flat red was (is) prone to fading. We gather from what we read and what we see on the road that metallics and pearlescents can be tricky to match and blend for all the obvious reasons.  My Hyundai has two repairs and the colour match is bad in strong sunlight...it's metallic dark grey but the two repairs shows a blue tint in the sun. It really should have gone back to be sorted but it's too late now. (Annoying as it was parked on both occasions and was driven into by other drivers).

2. We know that, unless meticulous care and maintenance is undertaken, black shows up just about everything hence that's a non starter...and I don't like black cars anyway, so black is a no no.

3. It seems that white never looks clean.  I've had a few and wouldn't have volunteered for another one - but maybe white is easier to match?   The two whites shown above do look very different hence my interest in what bods have said about them.

4. Flat red is out...don't like flat red paint on cars.

5. They say a bright silver metallic respray is tricky in the wrong light and I've seen a few dodgy looking spray jobs in silver.

How about metallic red?  For example the BLAZE Metallic red in this selection ...  http://www.kia.co.uk/new-cars/range/compact-cars/new-picanto/colours.aspx

My Yeti is Muscovado metallic. It's undamaged so I don't know how well it would match up if repaired...but I love the colour, even after five years with it. It's an excellent quality paint job and looks great and washes up a treat. But maybe a change is as good as a rest when the time comes to change the car.

Opinions ..especially based on experience, most welcome.

Edited by oldstan

Obviously metallics and pearlescents are more difficult as the underlying layers have more of an influence on the final colour/finish but I don't think any colour is actually easier to match than any other, if it's not right, it's not right, whatever the colour or metallic etc.

Just go for what you like. If the unfortunate does happen just make sure (this time!) that the work is totally satisfactory, including that a sufficiently large area is repainted that any slight colour/finish is not noticeable.

• Like 2

I've had minor damage resprayed on two Yetis, one green and one aqua blue.  Both ended up looking good as new.  Any resprayer worth their salt nowadays has an analyser which mixes the paint to match what's on your car, rather than using a dodgy colour chart.