What is this part that groans on cold starts?

This is an AUM 1.8 Turbo 150BHP engine.  There is a component located above the alternator and presumably part of the air intake system.

Who knows what it is and why it could make such a horrible noise for a few minutes on a cold start.

I have 164,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks

PeterH

Alternatively - if it's a funny groan / squeak that happens immediately after releasing the key on starting - then it's the starter motor bearings being dry. Another known fault - but tbh one that can just be left, as it takes years before the starter will actually fail because of it.

Many thanks for replies

I have not heard of Secondary Air Pump before so that is very helpful.

Regarding the starter motor, the noise is not immediately after key release. It starts after a few seconds of running. I will watch out for that dry starter bearing however as the miles pile onto this car.

PeterH

I have now determined the component that is emitting the groaning on cold start is the Throttle Body.

It didn't groan this morning as the temprature was 8C

Any further thoughts on this or is it most likely the secondary air pump much lower down.

PeterH

You could possibly do with cleaning the throttle body out with a carb cleaner :) i did mine yesterday on my vrs, and when i saw inside it, it was soaked with oil! Just a suggestion :)

Yeah if i remember right, it's a 5mil allen set you need. And undo the jubilee clip on the intake pipe to the inlet manifold. Don't do the mistake i did though and over tighten it when i was refitting it, the clip just snapped haha! Luckily a mate came by and he just so happened to have a 3" jubilee clip haha!