Minor paint damage - shall I get insurance involved?

Just had someone go into the back of me today at a junction.  Low speed collision, no one injured and only a small amount of paintwork damage to my car (hairline paint cracks about the size of a 5p).

The other driver was at fault and admitted it, swapped insurance details etc.  However, she said that she may just pay for it depending on what the quote is. My dilemma is whether I should contact my insurance company about it at this stage or to drive around and get a quote?  It's my first year of owning this car and I have zero no claims discount, very disappointed that an accident has happened as I would need to declare it for the next 3-5 years.  If it's a "No fault" claim, will I still accrue a no claim discount at renewal time?

Any advice appreciated….

If the insurance don't know about it then it never happened, I've never had a bump not needed to contact my insurance but I would guess it would get jotted down. Ring around a few places with some quotes and forward them to her. If she pays then it's sorted. If not then insurance should be called.

• Like 1

You'll be claiming through her insurance so your claims history will not be altered in any case.

But surely you still have to declare? I have had 2 very unlucky claims in last 5 years, both times I wasn't even in the car!

Both were settled 100% on other parties insurance, however I was told I am required to list them on the new proposal form, as it says 'claims regardless of blame',

When I removed them for a comparison it came in nearly £100 cheaper.

@chrisknott - How are you able to claim on the other persons insurance without affecting your premium?

But surely you still have to declare? I have had 2 very unlucky claims in last 5 years, both times I wasn't even in the car!

Both were settled 100% on other parties insurance, however I was told I am required to list them on the new proposal form, as it says 'claims regardless of blame',

When I removed them for a comparison it came in nearly £100 cheaper.

@chrisknott - How are you able to claim on the other persons insurance without affecting your premium?

That's right, I know through an accident my wife had some years ago that she had to note it as a "no fault" claim on her insurance renewals for 5 years! The only reason they ask you is because it affects your premium, regardless of blame. As this is my first accident without any no claims discount, I don't know if this first year would not qualify me for one if it was another drivers fault?

The other driver has now came back and said that their excess "is huge" and so will pay for the damage personally (if the other car had no damage, do they still have to fund the first £xxx of my bill)? As was said by LGM, if the insurance company don't know about it then it never happened! I'll get an assessment and quote from the dealer and send it to them, hopefully all will be well....

• Sponsor

It won't affect your NCB but it may affect your premium. You'd be claiming off her policy so there'll be no claim on your own policy. If you're resolving it without insurance remember that you can threaten to claim if at any point she drags her heels.

• Like 1