OK, I have now driven a Fabia vRS - and I liked it!

Forgot to say do a deal in the last few days of the month and they will snap your hand off.

Dealers truly want to shift their stock of these now.

Thanks for the advice.  Choice is almost certainly to be:

• Estate (I need the boot space)
  • Race Blue (Green if it will speed up delivery)
  • 5 year extended warranty (I hope that it will be a "keeper")
  • Climate control A/C
  • Cruise control (although I will probably only use it on very rare occasions)
  • Mud flaps & side protection strips (I like to look after my paintwork)

The Bolero radio looks good, there are a couple of 2nd hand units on eBay, however the cheapest is £300.  Does anyone know how easy is it to fit a non-Skoda (i.e. Pioneer, JVC, Alpine or Sony) Double DIN radio into the Fabia and have it correctly interfaced to the MFSW and all the speakers?

• Like 1

Plenty of demos around with more than £2k off. You don't have to have all the bells and whistle to enjoy the Fabia vRS.

Remember it is phasing out in the next 12 months or so why pump loads of extra cash into it.

As previously mentioned Demo In Westgate Grimsby is a good example of vfm- £11990 may be even £11500 with a bit of negotiation.

That is a bargain motor!

Forgot to say do a deal in the last few days of the month and they will snap your hand off.

Dealers truly want to shift their stock of these now.

I would love the "Demo" discount.  However, I believe that I have have read on this very forum, that Demo cars have often been thrashed mercilessly by salesmen and prospective purchasers!  There have also been suggestions that I could get a good deal on a delivery mileage pre-registered car which is a possibility if I can find one that clicks most of the buttons.

I will definitely bear in mind your recommendation about committing at the end of a month; as I have said earlier, I do plan to keep the car long-term.

Skoda website shows a Race Blue Estate at South Ruislip -2800 miles on clock at £12800. April 2013

Looks to be standard spec car.

Hope that helps.

Skoda website shows a Race Blue Estate at South Ruislip -2800 miles on clock at £12800. April 2013

Looks to be standard spec car.

Hope that helps.

Yup, I have seen that one (LINK), basic spec but a possible.  There is also a Black one in Bedfordshire (LINK), again basic spec, it seems expensive and I don't like black cars.  There is also a blue one in Warrington (LINK) which at £14.5k & 5,200 miles for again a basic model doesn't seem a complete bargain.  Do all demo cars have a basic spec?

I will have a word with the South Ruislip people - thanks for the pointer :)

Unreal that those sales cars still near 4 years after launch show as having 'Front Fog Lights'.

Some might notice that the 'Kerb Weight' is now given as 1,313 kg, 

which might actually be correct, unlike the first 3 years kerb weight of 1,238 kg they published.

(so was the Estate ever really 5 kg lighter than a Hatch?)

Skoda Spin from the Marketing men at launch, and every Motoring Journalist just believed them.

Not one questioned it, or appear to have just gone and weighed the Hatch and the Estate.

http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/skoda/fabia/kerb-weight

• Like 2

Good spot on the weight!  I believed the hype about them being 5kg lighter too.  I think most of us have seen the drag race in the review on youtube where the estate moves away from the hatch so the aerodynamics must be a lot better if it is indeed that much heavier.

When I was looking there didn't seem to be a great variety of estates around that were used and low mileage compared to the hatch's.  Prices varied considerably.  I was put off by the potential of them being thrashed, having being traded in early due to engine/oil issues, or being run on cheap fuel etc.

The discounts are out there if searched for.  I think I dropped a bit lucky.

I would always add the Climatronic to any decent spec new Fabia.

Not only is it an effective system it makes the dash look far better too by removing the three highly placed cheap plastic dials.

That was another down grade, the pre-facelift cars had nice rubberised round dials, the facelifted mk2's with manual aircon have 1980's Ford dials.

Car,

just get in, play around, set vents heat etc, A/C on or A/C off,

Drive car, look out windscreen, side and rear windows, and use rear view and door mirrors.

Looking at the Clocks and lights is sometimes necessary,

Adjust the Radio, change the air/heat on occasion,

Looking at Knobs, is reserved for the ones up my jacksy, wanting to be in my place behind the vehicle i am behind at a safe distance,

i am waiting my turn to go for it when safe.

Often the ones too close up my rear, for my liking have obvious lights, & indicators disabled.

Probably Knob Obsessed.

I call them a name like that anyway, in my head.

Car,

just get in, play around, set vents heat etc, A/C on or A/C off,

Drive car, look out windscreen, side and rear windows, and use rear view and door mirrors.

Looking at the Clocks and lights is sometimes necessary,

Adjust the Radio, change the air/heat on occasion,

Looking at Knobs, is reserved for the ones up my jacksy, wanting to be in my place behind the vehicle i am behind at a safe distance,

i am waiting my turn to go for it when safe.

Often the ones too close up my rear, for my liking have obvious lights, indicators disabled.

Probably Knob Obsessed.

I call them a name like that anyway, in my head.

One day I'm going to take a Rosetta Stone course to learn to 'speak George' :D

Wise like Yoda he is, but far harder to understand him will you find!

:rofl:

• Like 3

Just to let you know the MDI can use a memory stick or a USB powered hard drive as long as formatted in FAT32 i have a 250gb hard drive plugged in with loads of music. You can control changing tracks etc. from either the headunit or the wheel controls. If you plug in an MP3 player such as a Sansa it does charge and can be controlled the same as a hard drive.

Just had a drive around town, low speeds, lots of traffic and speed humps!

I asked the salesman about using a USB memory stick with the MDI, he really hadn't got a clue what I was talking about but was full of useless info about how well it works with an iPod (which I don't use) and tried to sell me on an Amundsen despite my saying that I definitely was not interested in it.  Can you please explain what MDI cable you use with your hard disk drive?

One strange thing I noticed was that the 12v socket was between the front seats rather than in the usual place on the dash - is there anywhere else that you can conveniently pick up 12v (other than in the boot)?

Can anyone explain the significance of the "Sports suspension" and whether or not it is standard on the Estate?  I thought that it was but the brochure isn't entirely clear on that point and the salesman didn't know much about it.

Despite the lovely engine and DSG, dear God the vRS is harsh and noisy.

• Like 1

Manufacturers spend millions getting the the correct damping on the Grab Handles, just the right loading on the indicator stalk, the perfect dimpling on the soft touch dash, making the tick sound just right when the indicators are used.

All wasted on George. :D

Cheers

Lee

No i like good seats, steering wheels and gearsticks, mirrors, and the Indicator on the right with a Triptronic box. (as my old Asian Type cars have, Gearstick/Selector to the left, indicators/lights right stalk.

Everyrthing to hand, solid.

Plastic Chrome, and Plastic Quality of Dash, or Rubber Heater knobs, of no interest really!

Cars for Drivers Driving,

Passengers can look at the view or go to sleep, i have no care what they are looking at on the dash.

Only time i open the door handle is to get out a vehicle,

so how it feels is neither here or there to me, easy to hand is useful.

Door handles to exit is one of the least use items on a vehicle unless you are a Delivery Driver 

or Travelling Salesperson.

Then all that stuff matters, your car is your home often.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Skoda/VAG, Sports Suspension, = harder,

but not really much lower, just a Skoda over used term.

'Sport'.

vRS estate has different springs from a Hatch, both are called 'Sport Suspension',

Also the Monte Carlo has what is called 'Sport Suspension' by Skoda.

Indicator on the right is not hard to find for me,

my cars are all keepers because i like them, like the controls and seating position..

Only ones with indicator on the wrong side are newer ones,

bugs me more than anything else on cars.

The CAVE/CTHE Thread had in the title,  "Please reply only if...........   "

I thought you wanted to learn about vRS,

So sorry, if it is me OT. I know i am,

Indicator stalk on the right is hard to find nowdays. Especially on things of European origin.

Cheers

Lee

For someone who bitched about people derailing your CAVE/CTHE thread, you certainly don't listen to your own pleas, do you?

You two are a delight this evening x x x

Despite the lovely engine and DSG, dear God the vRS is harsh and noisy.

It is harsh and noisy and I think most look past that when they were £14k for the performance on offer. For £17k I think there are much better "Hot Hatches".

If you must have 5 doors or an Estate and auto then there aren't many alternatives.

If you can live with it then great, I certainly couldn't.

Cheers

Lee

• Like 3

It is harsh and noisy and I think most look past that when they were £14k for the performance on offer. For £17k I think there are much better "Hot Hatches".

If you must have 5 doors or an Estate and auto then there aren't many alternatives.

If you can live with it then great, I certainly couldn't.

Cheers

Lee

Yawn, read it before a million times from you Lee.

Don't you get bored coming on here to tell us all how bad a car choice we made?

Or do you just like butting heads with George?

• Like 3

Yawn, read it before a million times from you Lee.

Don't you get bored coming on here to tell us all how bad a car choice we made?

Or do you just like butting heads with George?

No.

We have a relatively new member here who's sharing his thoughts on his test drive and asking for others advice and thoughts.

I'm agreeing with his experiences on the test drive.

My opinion is just as valid as anyone else's 

Or should everyone just tell him the car is the best on sale and he'd be a fool to buy anything else?

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

Well the OP has over the last months started Oil /engine threads, Suspension threads and studied the vRS more than any prospective owner i think,

& he studied more and then drove it, and now he knows.

Personally i think he has done the right thing, some just go buy and regret.

Noisy and crashy,  just as some like them.

Enjoy buying and driving or not as you wish.