Superb Suspension Change

Chaps,

I'm considering lowering my 170CR Estate so that it doesn't feel so much like a boat and something more resembling my old Octy VRS when going over bumps or around corners.

I've never done this before, but I know a chap who has and he is telling me to start with the springs, lower the car by around 20-30mm and start with that. He suggests I wouldn't need to alter anything else such as a the shock absorbers and it would make the car much less bouncy.

Any thoughts on this, I'm specifically interested in:

1) Whether I need to buy different springs for the front/rear as the estate "appears" to have the rear slightly higher, I'm assuming this is too do with weight that may be added to the rear? Or is this handled by the chassis?

2) If I will likely need to make any other alterations?

3) Any recommendations on the springs? I know that the Superb Greenline has 15mm lowered suspension by default and that the Superb FL has a "sports suspension" option - does anyone know if this is just different springs or include other changes as well? More importantly - anyone got any part numbers for the lowered springs? :)

Cheers guys

have you not bought the wrong car then? - my old superb estate 4x4 was a harder ride than my current e class 250cdi amg! - i can't say it felt like a boat....

but joking aside, i suppose it depends what you want to do with it - keep it a practical estate or give it the show and no go.

personally, i'm sure Skoda / VW put enough research into it, to give the best overall compromise. 

Al. 

• Like 1

I'm glad you posted that Al, I wondered if it was me, my 4x4 is not at all boat like, handles virtually as well as our Focus and is considerably bigger.

• Like 1

I have to agree that the MKII is not at all 'boat like' in the handling department. Coming from a MKI recently, which is more like a JCB than a boat (no offence to MKI drivers, they're a great car) I can safely say that the MKII is a very good compromise between handling and comfort. Personally I wouldn't want anything stiffer as it would probably lead to rattles and possible suspension damage in the long term. I'd go for a VRS Octavia and be done with it.

Just my two cents ...

Cheers,

Rob

yeah

so I had a superb I pd130 elegance, which was very floaty. I popped in a full KW suspension kit (springs/shocks, not coilovers) and an a solid front anti-roll bar and a 25mm rear bar. 

it was of course a lot of fun, but sometimes a little too low. 

with my 4x4 combi, i have to say that it already has a rear bar from the factory, so its pretty solid in a corner, and firmness wise, its really nice. 

are you on 18's or 17's btw?

t.

I already checked - no coilovers for he Superb II?

I'll be fitting eibach springs & Koni shocks to what ever Superb I end up buying.

The last 3 cars I've owned (Fabia Vrs, Touran & Jetta have all had height adjustable coilovers on them - just like how they handle and gives much better steering feedback.

I would suggest after doing anything suspension wise you get your 4 wheel alignment checked