Booost!

Got myself a Bluetooth OBD adaptor and connected to my Lumia 920 and car dash app, as this app can show boost pressure. Anyway, went out with my mate for a drive and watched the boost going up and down. Very interesting! Don't have any screenshots unfortunately, but I think it briefly reached 1.2 bar.

Is this the sort of boost pressure you can expect from standard map? Has anyone else got anything different?

Have a look at page 14-17,

this is the Earlier engine and mapped to 125 kW, but basically just the same as the 132-136 kW

(this is max power at 6,000rpm,  the CAVE/CTHE is 6,200)

http://volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_359.pdf

Good info there, thanks. So both chargers are capable of a much higher pressure than you can achieve? (still trying to learn about things like this so bear with me!)

• Like 1

Interesting that the 15-minute cool-down circulator is actually on the water coolant circuit, not the oil circuit as has been written a few times previously. And that the turbo is water cooled, despite a design max temperature of over 1,000 *C!

• 2 months later...

haha mine is standard at 1.4 bar plus a few little mods but no remap

Mines the same(ish) it's in psi my gauge and "translated" into bar mine boosts 1.38bar.

I did have a tmc tuning box that gave around 2bar of boost but took it off due to it being faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines the same(ish) it's in psi my gauge and "translated" into bar mine boosts 1.38bar.

I did have a tmc tuning box that gave around 2bar of boost but took it off due to it being faulty.

how come it was faulty man? That's some good figures from just a box. What bhp was you getting then?

It was intermittent it'd give 2bar of boost drop then shoot up and drop and shoot up again like I was jabbing the throttle. Some times it wouldn't boost at all. Anyway I took it off and the car is fine.

I never took it on a rolling road but a friend of mine guesstimated 230(odd)bhp as it kept up with a scirocco R.

It was intermittent it'd give 2bar of boost drop then shoot up and drop and shoot up again like I was jabbing the throttle. Some times it wouldn't boost at all. Anyway I took it off and the car is fine.

I never took it on a rolling road but a friend of mine guesstimated 230(odd)bhp as it kept up with a scirocco R.

that don't sound right maybe it was down to the actuator with not holding the boost

What year is yours and any other mods to go with the box?

this worrys me as i have one and cars is odd in behavior.

what version TMC was it?

Sounds like an issue with the actuator not holding the requested boost, or could it be the spring on the recirc/dump valve that is sticking open because it is not strong enough to cope with the requested boost.  Both I belive could be solved by fitting stiffer springs (I think)

One of my fears is that these boxes can potentially request more than full boost a lot of the time.  Similar to a Mk2 that had a development remap on it (vRSy), powerful map but not great for an engine.

Welcome to the forum.

Check and see when it was built in 2012/CAVE engines up to the Summer 2012 

&

CTHE Engines from about Aug/Sept, first registered in the UK maybe after September.

(So March 2012- September & First Registered before the 62 Plate, it might be a CTHE,

it says on the V5)

The CAVE 1.4 TSI Twincharger can be Remapped, but then the Warranty you get with the Used Car will be VOID on the Engine & probably on the Gearbox.

The TMC Tuning box, the Original is reported as OK on the CAVE,

& some with CTHE have them fitted.

Watch for Copy or Cheaper Versions maybe.

Before you buy the 12 Plate, check with Skoda UK Customer Services for the Service History,

& any Warranty History.

Any Oil Consumption Test done, or Breather Pipe/Valve Mod needed or Replacement Engine Fitted.

(a replacement engine should be OK now, not something to put you off,

an Oil Consumption test done & nothing else would put me off.)

Then if you buy the car, 

best see if it is already Remapped, it might be, put it on a Dyno and see what output it has,

then you know what you have before doing any tuning or spending money.

george

that don't sound right maybe it was down to the actuator with not holding the boost

What year is yours and any other mods to go with the box?

2012 I've had boost hoses induction kit and pressure release valve. I recently sent the box back to tmc and it had a wiring fault. I'm going to leave it now keep the box off until 2015.

I'll say this while I'm on here otherwise I'll forget again. I went to the spring action day at castle Combe in April did 300miles+ and the car didn't use a single drop of oil. I'm really happy with that because it's a great car and deserves more credit than it gets.