MY ST170

Pitbull69

After selling my vRS, I didnt really have any cars worth posting, Mondeo TDCI that wasnt worth the diesel that was left in the tank, then I got a MG ZR TD, not the greatest car, but very reliable, and got me from A-B but it was boring and noisy. so I had to go back to petrol, unfortunately, once I have had a car I wont go back to the same car again, otherwise i would of had another vRS, so after much debate, I finally found a car I really like, seems to get decent MPG, and sounds good when I plant my root foot every now and then..

2003 Focus ST170, I was looking for a blue one, but I see this one and for some reason something drew me to the colour.

So far all I have done is induction, 4-2-1 Manifold and a full piper exhaust from cat back.

Today I spent 6 hours washing polishing and waxing her, my first time using a DA, so much to learn, but really happy with how she turned out so far.

IMG-20140303-WA00221.jpg

IMG-20140303-WA00201-1.jpg

Didnt take any before pics, but this was after I had Snowfoamed and washed the car, and just done a small 1/8th panel on the roof, was quite shocked at how dirty it was..

IMAG0299.jpg

so after it was clayed I snow foamed and washed it again

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

Then I went over it with Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0307.jpg

IMAG0308.jpg

Then I went over it with Poorboys Nattys Blue Paste Wax Love the smell of this

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0311.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

Plans are to fix a few small running issues, jerky when low/no revs, I am hoping cleaning the throttle body will solve this, I need a new washer jet for the passenger light, but debating blanking them both off. Also want the bigger spoiler, and either refurbed wheels or some old school ford alloys.

• Like 3

Looks like a nice motor I looked at one of these as a track day car.

So far it has been, I watched a few videos of these vs EP3's (another car I had in mind) and very similar, but the ST had 5 seats so that was the decider for me

nice about time. vids needed lowering next ;p

HaHa looks whose talking... and as for vids, well wheres yours ?? lol.. I do have a video somewhere but its boring, so wont waste my time uploading it. but I have a proper mount for my phone so now the weather is improving I will try and get a decent vid ;)

Lowering wont be happening, I want a fun drivable car, and this handles really well, so not gonna ruin that for a few + points on the looks, + its quite harsh ride already, any harder and I will need a few cushions on my seat..

HaHa looks whose talking... and as for vids, well wheres yours ?? lol.. I do have a video somewhere but its boring, so wont waste my time uploading it. but I have a proper mount for my phone so now the weather is improving I will try and get a decent vid ;)

Lowering wont be happening, GAY

lol look forward to it,i wil when i get a car worth videoing :kiss:

• 4 weeks later...

I had one of these before my vrs and loved it although the tax and fuel economy killed it for me :( probably the best handling car I've ever owned though, I fitted some 30mm performance 3000 springs to it off ebay which were quite cheap and although it wasn't that low was well worth doing. General opinion is the manifold and cat that's fitted as standard is better than the aftermarket stuff but the best mod for these is a vernier exhaust pulley retarded between 6-10 degrees, meant to give the best performance gain for the money.

Love the colour and liking the xenons too.

This is my old one

20130208_170257_zpsbc9466a8.jpg

Yeah the standard cat is actually a sports cat, so that wont be getting changed, only changed the manifold for a better exhaust note. and because mine looked filthy, I agree on the MPG I am getting about 24 MPG regardless of how i drive it.

Just put a full set of a continental sport 3's on that made a decent difference. now it handles like its on rails.

Wont be doing the pulley though as they say to do it when you get the timing belt done, and I had the timing belt done as soon as I purchased the car as there was no paperwork for it.

Just purchased some 8mm Magnecor HT leads for it, so will put them on Monday,  apart from that all I have done is put some Heko wind deflectors on it, and washed it.

Yours looks good, love the wheel colour, I need to get mine refurbed but having trouble finding some cheap wheels to put on mine while they get refurbed.

Edited by Pitbull69

My new Magnecor HT leads arrived today. so set about changing them, all was going well until this happened..

IMG-20140415-WA0004.jpg

There was a mark on the rocker cover already, but garage checked it and said it was fine, but it was actually a repaired hole and me leaning on it pushed it straight back through. So as a temporary fix I have glued it back on with some hard plastic glue. Until a rocker comes available, as I wont be paying Ford the £300 ish they was asking for. seems scrappies dont want to sell them as then they cant shift the engines,

but after that little episode finally got the new leads on, havent driven it yet though as still waiting for the glue to harden 100%

IMG-20140415-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20140415-WA0008.jpg

And one of my new Battery cover, I still have the centre of the rocker cover off as that will be getting a lick of paint, and when I can decide what colour I think when I finally get some new rocker covers they will get some paint treatment before they are fitted too..

IMG-20140415-WA0010.jpg

Your telling me :wall: :wall:

Phoned all the northern scrappies and none was interested, refused and was quite frankly rude (not all but some of them) only one on ebay I found advertised as a ST170 was actually from a standard 2.0 and wont fit my engine.. But contacted a nice chap down in Essex and he has one for £30 + postage. so happy days. :)  

Drove it today, was vibrating at idle, one of the new leads wasn't secured properly, but once I sorted that drove much better. no jerking, so hopefully problem solved.

Cheers mate, its a bit tatty up close, but I lost my patients after the kids kicked a football at it while it was drying, Going to try and do the rocker cover similar before I put it on as the temp fix seems to be holding up good enough

• 3 weeks later...

Well my repair on my rocker cover started leaking, so i had to get the new one sooner than I wanted, Didnt have any orange paint when I was painting it, and didnt fancy driving with the rocker cover leaking oil, so it will have to do like this for now. either way its an improvement over what I had on..

IMAG0022.jpg

Car passed its MOT today, no advisories. so over the moon about that, MOT tester said he was worried about my car passing the emissions as the exhaust was black an covered on soot, and it was only washed yesterday. but passed straight away.

Now just to try and get to the route of the poor MPG, have already ordered a Diagnostic tool so hopefully will get to the bottom of it soon

• 11 months later...

Been a while since I updated this, computer issues etc

but Mods I have done lately,

RS Vents

Full RS Scorpion Exhaust

Pipercross Carbon fibre Viper Induction Kit

LED Rear Lights

replaced virtually all the sensors,

Lowered 35mm All round

will edit when I can remember what else I have done,

Pics but not in order,

DSC_0062.jpg