I'm a writer now, so here is my vRS review!

Hi guys, I'm sorry i've not been on (as in logged on and commeted) in so long. I trust everybody is still having a great time with their Octavia's! I've been working on my automotive writing and well, it's come good!

I'm now writing for www.drivingspirit.com and my first full review has been done on my very own Octavia vRS. If you're going to start, start with something good right? Obviously, don't feel obliged to go and check it out or anything but I thought you might like to see what I had to say about the car and also see what my writing is like. Any support for my writing and my article is most welcome, if you wanted to 'like' it or share it in any way that would be fantastic, but I'm not actively coming here asking for that to happen. I just wondered what you guys thought predominently.

http://drivingspirit.com/skoda-octavia-vrs-owners-review/

So here it is, just above this sentence. Check it out if you feel inclined. There's some pictures if you don't fancy the read much but knowning you guys you like the details. It's not in depth too much, it's a short review. But it's my first step into the world of reviewing hopefully. I'll leave you with another picture now. Cheers guys!

post-108305-0-03933500-1394980562_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You clearly love the vRS. It's a very good car but only if you need certain aspects of its strong points.

As you say it does a lot very well. Sorry I don't agree it just happens to have the perfect power output of any road car, slightly convenient lol

And the my car is faster than book figure because I own it kind thing lol

All in good jest. It's a good car indeed. I'm sure it will do well in the market. Not the bargain it once was but it's a good car for the cash

Thank you very much! Yes, right now I'm working on something significant but I can't reveal details yet. It's not Skoda based, so I don't know how I'd inform all of you guys if I does go through and happen.

If it does, I'll be delighted as it will be a very big deal for me and could lead to further exciting opportunities. The party in question want to guage success.

• Like 1

You clearly love the vRS. It's a very good car but only if you need certain aspects of its strong points.

As you say it does a lot very well. Sorry I don't agree it just happens to have the perfect power output of any road car, slightly convenient lol

And the my car is faster than book figure because I own it kind thing lol

All in good jest. It's a good car indeed. I'm sure it will do well in the market. Not the bargain it once was but it's a good car for the cash

It's always good to have a talking point in an article! Personally, I like to be able to use all available power in a road car. Where I live when you start getting to 300bhp+ you don't get to use all of that, so I find the 220bhp you get in this perfect. In addition to that, I don't feel there is any need to have more in a front wheel drive car. Just my opinion though!

I'm currently writing an opinion piece on diesel engines which I'm sure is bound to spark a debate I'm really looking forward to getting that published!

Unfortunately the price does go up each generation, but I think the same can be said of most models of cars can't it? The technology gets better with each generation so I'm ok with that. As you say, I still think this car is a good price for what you get

Yes the power one I'd disagree with as if 0-60 in 6.5 is on why not 6, 5.5 or even 7.5.

It's just all a bit convenient :) power wise, the new diffs on cupra etc seem to work well. Tbh I find 220 too much on a fwd in anything other than dry

Price wise yes everything goes up but now the gap is so much closer to likes of golf.

Nice article and writing style, look forward to a bright future. Glad to read that you made all the most important decisions; Hatch, TSI and manual.

I enjoyed your review, made a refreshing change to some of the twaddle we read these days !

JKW

As you are asking for an honest critique...

It's a bit light for a review. Not much reviewing going on, basically it's got lots of kit, is good value for money and has more performance than you need in the real world. Looking at similar reviews in magazines, it needs work and more substance to make a success in your chosen career.

As for the too much performance argument, personally I cringe when Skoda uses the 'high performance' description/branding for the latest VRS. A better and more apt positioning would be sportier or sport version. If someone asked me, "so what's the VRS then?" I'd wouldn't personally say it's the high performance version of the range, just in case the next question is what's its 0-60? ;)

Also in the real world you can certainly use the performance of 400/500 bhp cars on the road, and you don't need 4x4 either. Living in Devon, I thought you would appreciate that taking a lots less time to overtake that caravan at any given safe opportunity to overtake is worth it's weight in gold! ;) ;)

Cheers

Steve