Power all over the place! Turbo?

Might be worth changing the fuel filter as well - a dirty or partially blocked fuel filter can cause surging and power issues. Sticky vanes will eventually throw a code, the test is on a motorway accelerate up full throttle in 3rd holding in gear. In most cases that will trigger an over boost with sticky vanes.

Even better do this up a hill.  The car might accelerate ok, but if you lift off the power (or change gear) then it will have no power if the vanes do stick.  However, the description so far doesn't sound like the traditional sticky vanes people suffer.

I am therefore tempted to think the cause is something else.

Might be worth changing the fuel filter as well - a dirty or partially blocked fuel filter can cause surging and power issues. Sticky vanes will eventually throw a code, the test is on a motorway accelerate up full throttle in 3rd holding in gear. In most cases that will trigger an over boost with sticky vanes.

Yeah, was thinking of changing the fuel filter and running a decent additive through. Is the fuel filter an easy job for a novice?

I will try the accelerating in 3rd motorway test, do I maintain 70 in 3rd for any particular length of time?

Even better do this up a hill. The car might accelerate ok, but if you lift off the power (or change gear) then it will have no power if the vanes do stick. However, the description so far doesn't sound like the traditional sticky vanes people suffer.

Yeah, the bouncy dog barking thing worries me most. It happens usually accelerating on an incline.. It normally does it 5mins after setting off, and continues intermittently at any time.

Today it drove lovely on a 15 min journey to the tip, but was a dog on the way back! :(

Even better do this up a hill.  The car might accelerate ok, but if you lift off the power (or change gear) then it will have no power if the vanes do stick.  However, the description so far doesn't sound like the traditional sticky vanes people suffer.

Agreed it doesn't sound like sticky vanes to me either. N75 valve or boost/ vacuum pipe leak would be first suspects.

• Like 1

Agreed it doesn't sound like sticky vanes to me either. N75 valve or boost/ vacuum pipe leak would be first suspects.

Hi thanks. Would N75 throw an error code? Happy to try a new one. Is it easy to change?

If I was to replace all vacuum pipework, is that easy/cheap to do?

n75 would only throw a code if it caused the vanes to be in the too much of the wrong place - ie. over or underboost.  Sticky vanes normally only ever causes overboost codes.

Initially you need to check to see if the actuator on the turbo moves freely.

n75 would only throw a code if it caused the vanes to be in the too much of the wrong place - ie. over or underboost. Sticky vanes normally only ever causes overboost codes.

Initially you need to check to see if the actuator on the turbo moves freely.

Hi and thanks again for your help. I am currently decorating my new home, so haven't got much time to work on the car.

I will check this. Is it a wd40/clean up job if it doesn't move freely?

• 2 weeks later...

Check your vacuum pipework is like this:

vacuum-01-standard.gif

Where's the Pink modified pipework?

edit, not that Im being pedantic, Im beginning to look under the bonnet and from reading up, Im thinking of renewing some items piece by piece, vacuum hoses being one if they look poor, breather lines, cooling hoses and air supply hoses.

Thats why Im wondering what the modded pipework is?

Any pointers on a good online place to get some tidy looking hoses/lines for the above.

I was looking on youtube yesterday after reviewing a load of posts here and saw some guy had some yellow vac lines, and some blue tubing, but couldnt make out what that was for.

Colour of the stuff isn't something I'm after, preferably not too garish, but seperate colurs to identify (for me at the moment) might be handy.

Edited by Mercurial