TomTom Mounting

OK, so I've gone mad and got me a TomTom GO 300. Excellent piece of kit - very happy.

However......

When I first got it I mounted it to the right of the steering wheel, but the plastic thing for attaching parking tickets meant that I had to mount it higher than I wanted it, and it obscured my view of the road.

Much tinkering, I then mounted it upside down in the same place, so it was in front of the airvent, but the signal quality was rubbish!

So.....

I've currently mounted it just to the left of the drawer on the top of the dash. It's not in my line of sight, has an excellent reception, and everything looks happy.

But....

Now I'm reading horror stories about the possibility of it getting tangled up in the passenger airbag and horribly disfiguring SWMBO should I crash the car with her in it.

So here's the question?

Have you got an Octy II and a TomTom? If so where have you mounted yours? Has anybody tried one of these Brodit mounting kits - are they any good?

Just had a very helpful conversation with Skoda Customer Services, who went away to check, and confirmed that it won't foul the airbag where it is, so that's a relief!

But now, having actually looked at the installation again, I'm not convinced that the airbag won't foul it, so I've just ordered a Brodit proclip and mounting kit from handnav.....

So, who else has a TTG in an Octy II? How have you installed yours?

I put mine to the right of the steering wheel, I just pull the parking ticket thing out and put the suction cup in front of it.

Have also hard wired a fag lighter behind the dash and just run the last few inches of cable up and out of the side of the dash and straight into the satnav.

Cheers

Lee

I put mine to the right of the steering wheel' date=' I just pull the parking ticket thing out and put the suction cup in front of it.

Have also hard wired a fag lighter behind the dash and just run the last few inches of cable up and out of the side of the dash and straight into the satnav.

Cheers

Lee[/quote']

Any pics of how you have wired the power cable in? I didn't want to chop the cable up that comes with the car kit so i've bought a cheap 12v extension lead off ebay to butcher.

I use TomTom on my PDA, but don't suction mount it. I have it in a holder which I vent mount in the center air vents as and when i need to use it. The Brodit mounting kits are supposed to be exceptionally good...

I've had a brodit for two yeaars in my mondeo and then got one for my furby using a PDA... very good

http://www.briskoda.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1659&c=searchresults&searchid=419 :thumbup:

Any pics of how you have wired the power cable in? I didn't want to chop the cable up that comes with the car kit so i've bought a cheap 12v extension lead off ebay to butcher.

Not sure about the Octy2 but on the old Octavia if you dropped the panel above the drivers feet it exposes bolt terminals on the back of the fuse/relay board.

I just used ring crimps and wired in a cigar lighter socket with in line fuse.

I'm not interested in moving the unit from car to car so just plugged the usual power cable into the cigar lighter socket that I have installed behind the dash.

Cheers

Lee

I've got mine suctioned onto the centre of the windscreen but I find you can't see the screen when it's sunny. Anyone else have that problem? It's a great bit of kit though although I am a bit puzzled by the 'bear left' and 'turn left' instructions sometimes. When I think it should be bear left, it says turn left and vice versa.

derek

Have my TTG to the right of the wheel no problems with view or ticket holder thingy

Looks like yours is what they call a 'classic' mount - shorter and (I've heard) better than the Go mount they use now (which is what I've got). Excellent pics though - thanks very much. If the brodit solution works I'll post some pics.

The Brodit bracket arrived on Thursday. Fitting the TomTom holder to the bracket was pretty easy, but attaching the bracket to the car was rather more complicated - at one point I thought I'd broken the bracket! The problem is they only give you one 'gap opener' and I could really have done with two - getting the bottom part of the bracket to click in between the fascia and the radio surround needed much more force than I was expecting.

However, it's in, I'm really pleased with it, and here are some pictures.

5818.attach

5819.attach

5820.attach

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmmm, I think I need one of those. My TTG was mounted to the left of the "pop up lid " storage box. Easy for me to see, no so easy for me to reach to alter or program a route. I hadn't thought about the airbag, thanks for the heads up on that. What I do find frustrating is when I lean over to use the TTG I end up opening the "pop up lid" box. Not serious, just annoying.

The Brodit bracket arrived on Thursday. Fitting the TomTom holder to the bracket was pretty easy' date=' but attaching the bracket to the car was rather more complicated - at one point I thought I'd broken the bracket! The problem is they only give you one 'gap opener' and I could really have done with two - getting the bottom part of the bracket to click in between the fascia and the radio surround needed much more force than I was expecting.

However, it's in, I'm really pleased with it, and here are some pictures.[/quote']

• 2 weeks later...

I have a TomTom Go 700 mounted in my (old) Octavia in a similar position to Steve's (steviec). I have to use the supplied TomTom windscreen suction mount since it includes a microphone for handsfree phone use. Incidentally, TomTom will replace problematic mounts. Go to their site and fill in a feedback form if you are having problems and they will send replacement parts FOC.

I can buy a mitac mio 339 + tomtom GPS receiver for 130 euro's, it's practically new and the battery seems ok. Is this a good device for use as GPS system??

Also : can it be mounted in my octy II without the external cables visible? I don't like the cablemess running to my cigarette lighter etc.

• 2 weeks later...